• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

If we appoint Martinez, then Randy has shown his true colours or that he is totally out of his depth.

Fulham appoint Jol and we appoint Martinez, and people are happy with that???

Fcuking hell, Randy could dress up a turd and sell it to some of you :lol:

Randy, show some fcuking ambition or i, and thousands like me will also be doimng a sabatical away from Villa Park.

WE ARE FIRMLY BACK TO THE DAYS OF UNCLE DOUG, AND YOU CAN STICK IT :twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

Jol chose fulham.

Who do you suggest then?

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

these past 12 months have been one hell of a rollercoaser

oniell - houllier - linked with moyes - linkes with ancelloti - linked with benitez -- linked with hughes - linked with mclaren and then we are speaking to martinez,

LOL

Don't forget KMAC and GMAC!

I'd sooner Martinez over Rafa, McClaren et al., but he is a bit of a wildcard...I like the type of football he strives for, but am worried that he is a bit soft - doesn't strike me as the sort of person who can deal with egos and in-house spats. Similar to Zola in that sense.

Owen Coyle would be the better option - impressed with what he's done with limited resources at Bolton.

I'm warming to Martinez. A young, upcoming manager who plays good football, who won't see himself as bigger than the club right now. No doubt there's risk, and he wouldn't be my first choice still, but we could do a lot worse in my opinion.

Martinez won't stand for shit. The more I'm reading, the more I think he might be alright.

I really like him. He is a much better choice IMO than Mclaren, Hughes, Rafa etc... Ancelotti would of course be fantastic, but the problem with him is that I cant see him stay with Villa long term anyway... Martinez is 37 and could stay with us for a long long time if he has does well.

I really don't understand this loyalty factor.

If martinez comes and does really well - and a top european club comes in - you think he will stay ?

The only way he will stay is if he does avaerage. then we will have the stability that we crave.

I agree with you Stu. We will not get Champions League anytime soon without spending megabucks. Lets be brutally honest Spurs sell their allocation no problem even Everton do, we have us who threaten to return ours if the board don't act in a specific way. Us fans want to shop at Aldi when we demand ST prices remain low but then want our owner to shop at Harrods. He has enquired for Ancellotti and no doubt he requested permission to speak to Moyes but to put it in simple terms they don't want to come to us.

I'm sorry, but with all of the available managers about, if the best we can get is Roberto Martinez then I'm stunned. The managers job is the most important job in the club, you need someone with the right philsophy and the right know how and skills to back it up. If I was making a list of managers for the job Martinez would be well down that list. He may turn out to be an excellent manager, but for a team the size of Villa it is a massive risk to give him the job. I fear for next season if this is true. :cry:

Would be happy with Martinez, will renew with Martinez. Didn't like the idea of getting in damaged goods "rafa or maclaren".

For a long time I thought Hughes was coming but am glad it looks like Martinez instead. Hughes maybe safer Martinez is more exciting.

Looking forward to our 'Catalan style' football next season. I'm sure it will soften the blow as I watch an Ashley Young inspired Man United tear us a new hole. Martinez - do me a **** favour. A cheap, desperate appointment (IF TRUE - don't want to upset Randy's loyal cohorts), that demonstrates to me that Lerner has seriously downgraded his ambitions for the club, but has not got the decency to be straight with us - in stark contrast to his obsession with playing by the rules when dealing with other Premier leauge clubs.

I'm warming to Martinez. A young, upcoming manager who plays good football, who won't see himself as bigger than the club right now. No doubt there's risk, and he wouldn't be my first choice still, but we could do a lot worse in my opinion.

This.

Martinez won't stand for shit. The more I'm reading, the more I think he might be alright.

I really like him. He is a much better choice IMO than Mclaren, Hughes, Rafa etc... Ancelotti would of course be fantastic, but the problem with him is that I cant see him stay with Villa long term anyway... Martinez is 37 and could stay with us for a long long time if he has does well.

I really don't understand this loyalty factor.

If martinez comes and does really well - and a top european club comes in - you think he will stay ?

The only way he will stay is if he does avaerage. then we will have the stability that we crave.

I think loyalty is the wrong word, I think theirs a vision and a plan to move Villa forward as we do not have the financial muscle for the short term to reach where we want to go. In Martinez, i think they want to stop repeating this cycle of changing managers every 4 years or so and actually someone who can develop within the club. He is a promising manager, people say well he got battered a few times i.e. a few thrashings, have we forgotten what Chelsea did to us?

I agree with you Stu. We will not get Champions League anytime soon without spending megabucks. Lets be brutally honest Spurs sell their allocation no problem even Everton do, we have us who threaten to return ours if the board don't act in a specific way. Us fans want to shop at Aldi when we demand ST prices remain low but then want our owner to shop at Harrods. He has enquired for Ancellotti and no doubt he requested permission to speak to Moyes but to put it in simple terms they don't want to come to us.

Then we should not promise it in the first place.

At least we now know why our best players want to **** off :winkold:

I'm coming round to the possibility that it'll be Martinez, the only worry i have is the defence, his teams ship a lot of goals, no prem team, no matter how bad they are, should ship 9's and 8's, once could be a fluke, but twice?! all in all hoped for more but definitely could have been worse.

MysteryMan

I don't think the Wigan chairman is the only chairman where we have requested permission to speak to the contracted manager . I may be wrong on this I simply cannot believe that someone else with maybe a better pedigree has not been sought after . I also think they will interview 3 people not one I do not know if all of the other candidates are dead in the water now nobody has came out and said officially they are or confirmed we are in for them anyway . I said from day 1 about Hughes and McClaren and stick by it they won't happen . The biggest problem in all this is Villa are trying to do it by the book they are not going round touting for other managers in the public domain but trust me there is a lot more going on behind the scenes than anyone knows about . So no I don't think Martinez is the only show in town but it can change like it does on transfers by the day . The Benitez info was from a sky source ?? yes under consideration but went nowhere .

I'd be quite happy if we got Martinez. He's young, likes to play good football and, from what i've read, is very well thought of in football. I think it was only a matter of time before he left Wigan for a bigger club and i'm pleased its us. People say his record isnt great at Wigan, but its Wigan! Sir Alex would struggle to get them in the top half. I think with a bit of money, and the attack minded players we have, he will thrive. I'm looking forward to season to start.

Plus, he might bring N'Zogbia with him!

If what the papers today are saying is true and Mr Lerner has indeed decided on Martinez then I for one give up on this club. Mr Lerner is a good man but that decision would expose him as someone content with rank mediocrity.

Martinez might well be the man that kept wigan up on survival sunday... but he was in charge of them all season too dont forget.

Im not saying he's not a decent manager but in my opinion he hasnt done anything yet to prove he deserves a shot at a club like villa and this isnt me thinking that villa are the biggest club in the world but we are a club at one hell of a crossraods. we lost ground last yr whilst the clubs around us got stronger and now finishing in the top 4/5 looks more of a challenge than ever.

I think we need someone who has a proven record of being able to manage a top 6 club and who has spent well and if possible but lastly a manager with a name and influence that may convince our existing players to stay at the club. What we dont need is a manager who is cheap and wont be asking Randy for 50 million to strengthen. I think after the flop that was the GH era we need to decided what our end game is. If its to turn into a mid table side then Martinez could well be the perfect manager...