• Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. No one had heard of Wenger before he joined Arsenal, and Fergie had only managed in Scotland before taking over at Utd.... Just because a manager isn't proven at the top it doesn't mean they are no good. RM should be given the opportunity to prove himself at a bigger club with a bigger budget.

2. Pat Murphy doesn't know what's going on inside VP, is close to MoN and has been bashing us since MoN left. I heard him on Radio 5 this morning and he was spewing cr@p.

I remember when we poached Graham Turner from Shrewsbury - arsenal chose George Graham from Millwall

Arsenal chose an unknown wenger - we chose an unknown Venglos.

Its high risk.

Im just hoping he turns out to be a John Gregory type.

1. No one had heard of Wenger before he joined Arsenal, and Fergie had only managed in Scotland before taking over at Utd.... Just because a manager isn't proven at the top it doesn't mean they are no good. RM should be given the opportunity to prove himself at a bigger club with a bigger budget.

2. Pat Murphy doesn't know what's going on inside VP, is close to MoN and has been bashing us since MoN left. I heard him on Radio 5 this morning and he was spewing cr@p.

I remember when we poached Graham Turner from Shrewsbury - arsenal chose George Graham from Millwall

Arsenal chose an unknown wenger - we chose an unknown Venglos.

Its high risk.

Im just hoping he turns out to be a John Gregory type.

I agree that it is a risk, but it is not an utterly outragous decision.

Who are these managers that will create a buzz (because thats so important in the long run) and how do you know that we didn't ask them?

Its stuff like this which is nonsense in my opinion.

You might as well say, well we didn't try and sign Kaka, we have no ambition and created no 'buzz'!

It's obvious who those managers are, and it was up to Randy to convince them to join us. He's failed to do that, and so it looks like we'll end up with Martinez.

He may do well with us, but equally he may not. It's a huge risk. He is the cheap option, and Randy's fingers are crossed that he is the answer. No evidence exists to suggest we will challenge for honours under him

Immediately yes he won't challenge for honours. Maybe a decent cup run but in time he can build something. He is young and could be our manager for years to come. With Martinez the possibilities are endless lol

Theres also the possibility we could go down next season.

I don't think we will with him. If we bring in Martinez WITH a ridiculously good defensive coach I think we could be decent. HE has potential with a good coaching staff.

Who are these managers that will create a buzz (because thats so important in the long run) and how do you know that we didn't ask them?

You might as well say, well we didn't try and sign Kaka, we have no ambition and created no 'buzz'!

It's obvious who those managers are, and it was up to Randy to convince them to join us. He's failed to do that, and so it looks like we'll end up with Martinez.

He has failed to do what, force someone to come?

I dont get that we could ask and perhaps offer loads of money for transfers and they could still say no.

I just dont understand why is that Lerners fault.

And again, how do you know he has not tried, multiple sources saying we asked Anchellotti, for all you know he wants to go back to Italy or stay in London, how is that Lerners fault?

Don't post on here often, but I read VT boards all

day.

I work at a bookies in Cannock and we have had two bets placed on Martinez in the past half hour. One cash bet of £5k from the owner of a sports bar and a telephone bet of £25k from a client who has connections with Mr Ellis.

I never post rumours and don't claim to be ITK, but those are large sums of money!!!

At what price?, a £30k bet would surely have got the market suspended?

Evens. We have since gone out to 8/13 30k not enough to suspend the Market.

Update! Just had guy who placed first bet try to place another 5k. Has taken it elsewhere because of odds

Thats unfair in my opinion. There seems to be this notion that we can get who we want and if we don`t its lack of ambition.

Carlo ancelotti wanted to take a year out,Thats not randys fault. What do you want him to do?

People have an unrealistic idea of how big a club we are and thats why no manager is ever good enough for some people. Geuss what? clubs our size are a dime a dozen all over europe. It has to be said,we won the european cup almost 30 years ago now. It doesn`t mean we are still up there with man utd and the like and we can take our pick of managers.

I don't think we will with him. If we bring in Martinez WITH a ridiculously good defensive coach I think we could be decent. HE has potential with a good coaching staff.

I'd rather have a manager with a proven track record of winning trophies, than someone with 'potential' who maybe one day will be good, perhaps.

This is a massively important appointment at a crucial time for Villa. We can't afford to slip behind any further over the next few years while Martinez realises his potential, or not.

day.

I work at a bookies in Cannock and we have had two bets placed on Martinez in the past half hour. One cash bet of £5k from the owner of a sports bar and a telephone bet of £25k from a client who has connections with Mr Ellis.

I never post rumours and don't claim to be ITK, but those are large sums of money!!!

Would that be a certain S.Murray betting £5K

day.

Update! Just had guy who placed first bet try to place another 5k. Has taken it elsewhere because of odds

You were offering evens ? When I checked ladbrokes at 7.30 this morning, Martinez was 1/4.

Martinez would not be a bad appointment IMHO.

Yes there are better managers available but they would have to be expected to work within the resrictions the Board place on them.

If those better managers don't like the prospect of being told that chucking vast somes of money around is not an option then thats fine. We can't force them to join Villa.

I'd rather have a young hungry manager eager to prove their worth than someone like Rafa/Carlo whose policy will be to buy established average players on silly salaries.

day.

You were offering evens ? When I checked ladbrokes at 7.30 this morning, Martinez was 1/4.

:detect:

Thats unfair in my opinion. There seems to be this notion that we can get who we want and if we don`t its lack of ambition.

Carlo ancelotti wanted to take a year out,Thats not randys fault. What do you want him to do?

People have an unrealistic idea of how big a club we are. Geuss what, clubs like ours are a dime a dozen all over europe. It has to be said,we won the european cup almost 30 years ago now. It doesn`t mean we are still up there with man utd and the like and we can take or pick of managers.

It was up to Randy to convince Ancelotti that taking over Villa at this point in time was the right move for him, instead of 'taking a year off'.

If we keep thinking small time like you, we will remain small time.

We could do a lot worse than Martinez. I think its good to give a young manager the job and look forward to seeing us play under him. Not going to expect any overnight success and will be interesting to see how he copes with the expectations of a lot of Villa fans.

People have an unrealistic idea of how big a club we are. Geuss what, clubs like ours are a dime a dozen all over europe. It has to be said,we won the european cup almost 30 years ago now. It doesn`t mean we are still up there with man utd and the like and we can take or pick of managers.

It was up to Randy to convince Ancelotti that taking over Villa at this point in time was the right move for him, instead of 'taking a year off'.

Yeah because carlo ancelotti is going to revolve his life around aston villa,grow up dude.

The idea of martinez is that he will bring us sucess in a different way.

You say im thinking small time, well at least im thinking mate.

Your still ignoring the point.

What if Randy asked but he said no?

You can spend all day trying to convince someone but if he had already decided not to manage for a year and not work at all, how can that possibly be Randy's fault it makes no sense!

Unless he was hit over the head and handcuffed to a desk a VP, we cannot force someone to change their mind.