• Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

Club statement from chief executive Paul Faulkner

Statement on manager search.

9th Jun 2011

The Club is conscious of the keen interest in developments over the appointment of our new manager.

When the process has reached an appropriate point we can assure our fans that we will be clear and forthright.

We are focused right now on trying to secure the best candidate who will complement the Club's commitment to being true to our heritage, competitiveness and passionate fan base.

We will update fans again when the process is more advanced.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't post on here often, but I read VT boards all

day.

I work at a bookies in Cannock and we have had two bets placed on Martinez in the past half hour. One cash bet of £5k from the owner of a sports bar and a telephone bet of £25k from a client who has connections with Mr Ellis.

I never post rumours and don't claim to be ITK, but those are large sums of money!!!

Would that be a certain S.Murray betting £5K

Not that Sports Bar :winkold:

Statement from the club?

The Club is conscious of the keen interest in developments over the appointment of our new manager.

When the process has reached an appropriate point we can assure our fans that we will be clear and forthright.

We are focused right now on trying to secure the best candidate who will complement the Club's commitment to being true to our heritage, competitiveness and passionate fan base.

http://tinyurl.com/3sogxxn

You were offering evens ? When I checked ladbrokes at 7.30 this morning, Martinez was 1/4.

We match best online odds for account holders, but we can't do that any more for Martinez. You can still get evens if you shop around.

Yeah because carlo ancelotti is going to revolve his life around aston villa,grow up dude.

The idea of martinez is that he will bring us sucess in a different way.

You say im thinking small time, well at least im thinking mate.

It's not about 'revolving his life' around Villa (whatever that means). It's about pursuading him that we are a club with ambition who wants to go places, and that we will back him to take us to the next level as we believe he is the man for the job. He was available, and we didn't get him. Huge opportunity lost.

Martinez would be a huge punt in the dark with our fingers crossed. The last thing we need at this point in time.

Statement from Paul Faulkner on the OS

It was up to Randy to convince Ancelotti that taking over Villa at this point in time was the right move for him, instead of 'taking a year off'.

If we keep thinking small time like you, we will remain small time.

Ancelottis just had a 5m payout from Chelsea. I for one cant begrudge him choosing to take a year off to spend with his family, relax and enjoy the money rather than jumping straight back into a high pressure job where expectations of fans like you is to take us straight into the Champions League!!!

Yeah because carlo ancelotti is going to revolve his life around aston villa,grow up dude.

The idea of martinez is that he will bring us sucess in a different way.

You say im thinking small time, well at least im thinking mate.

It's not about 'revolving his life' around Villa (whatever that means). It's about pursuading him that we are a club with ambition who wants to go places, and that we will back him to take us to the next level as we believe he is the man for the job. He was available, and we didn't get him. Huge opportunity lost.

Martinez would be a huge punt in the dark with our fingers crossed. The last thing we need at this point in time.

But thats like me saying to you, go and convince the bank to give you a million pounds, and if you cannot you lack ambition to be rich, full stop!

Some things are just out of our control.

Ancelottis just had a 5m payout from Chelsea. I for one cant begrudge him choosing to take a year off to spend with his family, relax and enjoy the money rather than jumping straight back into a high pressure job where expectations of fans like you is to take us straight into the Champions League!!!

We should have moved hell and high water to make him realise that becoming manager of Villa was preferable to sitting on his arse for a year. Apparently we contacted him "more in hope than expectation". What does that say about our board's thrusting dynamism??

He was available, and we didn't get him. Huge opportunity lost.

What do you do ?? stick a gun to his head??? You also dont know to what lengths they tried to persuade him.

We contacted him "more in hope than expectation" apparently. Doesn't sound like we tried very hard at all.

The statement from PF suggests no appointment is imminent. My guess is it'll be at least next week before we know and means Martinez is far from a foregone conclusion.

As ive said before my brother works at the club in accounts. Do i trust him of course i do has he given me a name yes after much begging. It should hit SSN news this afternoon.

In all due respect, during your begging you would of promised not to say anything so saying "he works in accounts" drops him in shit if it were really true.

Is that a hole in my screen? No, just an empty statement. There's more content in an amoeba.

I think it's acknowledgement of all the media frenzy over McClaren, Benitez and now Martinez...

To me it reads everyone needs to take a deep breath and just be patient.

nothing wrong with that, it's all they can reasonably be expected to say right now surely?

Anyway,

I just hope whoever it is in the end, is actually given a fair whack of the stick and not written off instantly as our previous incumbent was. So for whoever would be the Martinez equivalents of Richard, Mark etc... for example. give the really bad person a chance.

I am not naive though, and I appreciate that will be far too much to ask for some for whom the opportunity for raging spittle will be welcomed with unrelenting glee, as the general's thread is hit with repetitively boring posts day after day, but we can but hope things will change and we might just go " ok, hang on, the reality is that for whatever reason we may need to be patient, let's give the guy some slack ( if it's a young un ) and look to the long term.

Ideal? nah. Ancelotti or someone like that would be great, but if it's not, recalibrate. Can't have everything yesterday you know, if it's a case of having to rethink the way we try and crack the top 4, then that's what we do. incessant abuse ( sorry, protest ) isn't going to help.

Randy ain't Doug.