• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

What's wrong with Martinez? He's done reasonably well at Wigan, and has them playing excellent football. Worth a punt.

his win ratio at wigan is 25% that is fecking awful. i dont believe he is a big enough name to persuade downing to stay and attract big name signings.

his style of football is ok but i think he has not achieved anything to warrant the villa job.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Randy may wonder what he got himself into sometimes. Unless he gets a world class manager who isn't interested and spends a squillian quid it's not good enough. He's got no ambition. maybe people that say that have no ambition and need to live vicariously through the club. Because the only way randy makes any money or gets any satisfaction is if the club is a success.

Never mind trying to do it in a way which doesn't send us into administration or build something for the long term.

It's now now now,big famous name or the toys come out the pram.

Anyone think that the plan is to get someone in to work with Martinez? Like a DOf or something, more experienced guy pulling the strings?

Yep that was my thinking, someone with a bit of clout in the transfer market.

Well it looks like it will be Martinez. Not just "sources" indicating we are in talks with him (like it was with Rafa) and Whelan's statement is perhaps an attempt to let the fans know he tried to keep him and also a last ditch attempt to let MArtinez himself know that he's still wanted.

Cant see this not happening. Cant imagine Martinez saying no. From the boards point of view Martinez is going to be cheap in terms of wages, not want a great deal of a transfer kitty and to be fair to him is rated as a good new manager. Course he will cost some in compo to Wigan.

I would be dissapointed in all honesty with Martinez. No way would he be able to convince the likes of Downing and Young to stay and I cant imagine him convincing too many top to join the club.

Maybe the board see something I dont but for me I would have rather had Jol and would still rather Moyes, Sven, Hughes and a whole host of other manager out there. Maybe Im having too much of a downer on Martinez I dont know but right now I know id be deflated (worse than when we appointed GH) if we anounced that Martinez was the new manager.

these past 12 months have been one hell of a rollercoaser

oniell - houllier - linked with moyes - linkes with ancelloti - linked with benitez -- linked with hughes - linked with mclaren and then we are speaking to martinez,

LOL

Martinez won't stand for shit. The more I'm reading, the more I think he might be alright.

I really like him. He is a much better choice IMO than Mclaren, Hughes, Rafa etc... Ancelotti would of course be fantastic, but the problem with him is that I cant see him stay with Villa long term anyway... Martinez is 37 and could stay with us for a long long time if he has does well.

If we appoint Martinez, then Randy has shown his true colours or that he is totally out of his depth.

Fulham appoint Jol and we appoint Martinez, and people are happy with that???

Fcuking hell, Randy could dress up a turd and sell it to some of you :lol:

Randy, show some fcuking ambition or i, and thousands like me will also be doimng a sabatical away from Villa Park.

WE ARE FIRMLY BACK TO THE DAYS OF UNCLE DOUG, AND YOU CAN STICK IT :twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

O'Neil couldn't convince Barry or Milner to stay. If Young and Downing don't want to play for Aston Villa then they can go.

We need to get Clark, Albrighton, Gardner, Bannon, Gabby and the Fonz (and I'm sure there are more in the youth team right now) playing to their potential so we have a nucleus of VILLA players not the "come here to get noticed and then piss off" players.

Seriously i work up in Edinburgh, a guy said he was listening to 5Live and basically said you have some fickle support and i tend to agree with him, don't get me wrong i believe i'm in that bucket too.

Fickle aint the word mate, more like deluded! Its embarrassing.

This sums it up IMO...

If people think we're just going to hire Carlo, or Moyes and just continue finishing top 4 next year just like that your dreaming!

There are idiots who think that hiring a 'big name' will automatically get us into the Champions league. Honestly, some people just aint got a clue

This is starting to do my head in now

my mate has just come into work and the first thing he said was 'its a no for me, ive thought about it and its definately a NO to martinez'

when they said it was mark hughes he said 'ah well I am pretty gutted to be honest' to which I questioned him and he said 'yeah I know what you are saying i'm just upset by it'

when it looked like it was mclarren he went mad, the rant just went on and on so i'm not even going to quote what was said in it

when SSN broke the news about benitez he phoned me up and said 'yeah but he is a money manager look at all the shit that he signed he is the one who signed XXXXXXX, XXXXXXXX , XXXXXXXX, I dont want him down there

when everyone was talking about Moyes he said 'yeah he is a good manager but is he only good for everton could he do it anywhere else i'm not sure about him'

when Ancelotti was being banded about he said '**** YES GET IN THAT WOULD BE GREAT etc etc'

when will villa fans get it into their heads that we are not an absolutely massive club, we are a standard sized club, we are not giants, we have been a mid level prem team for as long as I can remember, we are not premier league contenders, we struggle most of the time to drag ourselves into 6th place

so talking to my mate it seems that he will not accept anyone unless they are never going to come to us

as I said in an earlier post, I would have been happy with Hughes and i'll be more than happy to give martinez a chance

all this being said and I am the one people always see as a really negative villa fan

Whelan:

"They wrote to me asking for permission to speak to Roberto. He was on holiday at the time and I granted Villa permission.

"He arrived back yesterday and I presume he has spoken to Villa. I have made it clear to him I will be extending his contract.

Guess we can expect this to happen sooner rather than later then...