Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

On 19/05/2024 at 18:59, Xela said:

Why platinum is seen as more desirable and higher in the status range than regular gold, when the latter is worth more much more.

Platinum is much rarer than gold, and it's harder to use meaning jewellery made of platinum has had more effort and skill in its creation than the equivalent in gold, in theory. 

Gold's value is more complicated, and mostly boils down to it being far more useful currently than platinum is, and it being rare but not so incredibly rare as to be much less useful as a store of wealth, plus investment/speculation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

When you boil eggs in water, why do they tend to gather in the centre of the pot? I've noticed this for a long time, but can't really work out the physics.

Best guess, current caused by the heat bouncing off the wall of the pan machine the centre is the most stable area of water.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

When you boil eggs in water, why do they tend to gather in the centre of the pot? I've noticed this for a long time, but can't really work out the physics.

The baby chick's inside are gathering together for emotional support whilst you boil them.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

The baby chick's inside are gathering together for emotional support whilst you boil them.

What a fowl thought. 

Why does every Amazon Prime delivery van look like its been rolled over or wedged under a low bridge a few times?

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Why does every Amazon Prime delivery van look like its been rolled over or wedged under a low bridge a few times?

Because  its been rolled over or wedged under a low bridge a few times. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

After well over a decade of reading articles about English ⚽️ and participating in forums such as this I am left wondering whether Specsavers is the only place in Great Britain that sells eyeglasses 😉

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan

22 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

After well over a decade of reading articles about English ⚽️ and participating in forums such as this I am left wondering whether Specsavers is the only place in Britain that sells eyeglasses 😉

No there are loads but they are the biggest. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

No there are loads but they are the biggest. 

Certainly the highest profile, with the most memorable advertising campaigns. 

Posted (edited)

From what I can see Specsavers are more than double the size of Vision Express and Boots Opticians (2nd and 3rd) put together. 

We're getting on towards Monopoly situations there. How was one company allowed to grow so much bigger than the rest of the market, especially for such an important consumer product. 

Edited by sidcow

Why is wearing hearing aids perceived as more of a stigma than wearing glasses? 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

i would say that hearing aids are more linked to old age and declining health whereas glasses impact a wider range of people

23 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Especially as you don't lose your hearing from too much masturbating

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I often wondered this before.

my conclusion is 3 things

its basically newer technology than glasses, so for a long time it’s a new thing to notice. 

It’s rarer to see on people, because it’s probably more likely to have eye problems than ear problems. Or at least ear problems that traditional ear aids solved. Or the conditions they solved, were under diagnosed 

And the most important, they are an eyesore to see on people. Like they do no favours for the peoples wearing a brick on the side of their head. Where as glasses can and often make people look better, smarter or more attractive. 

Now, the stigma is fading off, particularly when you can get tested and served them at opticians, they are a lot smaller  and better now. And the first generations that started to see them are now are so old and deaf that they need to wear them themselves. 

now my issues is, people like my 88 year old nan. when the aids don’t fit her well, it’s creates feedback and I can hear them whistle from 20m away. Really Annoying and more so when the whistlers can’t hear it themselves 😂

Edited by CarryOnVilla

40 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

My mom's hearing has really deteriorated over the last few years, but she's refusing to acknowledge it, let alone get it checked out. I think it's because she's worried about having to have hearing aids. 

56 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I think it's normalisation. More people have bad eyes* so that's more normal to see.

* or at least have it diagnosed. You don't know what you're not hearing. You do know what you're not seeing.

59 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I am 3 months into this job and today is the first day I have worn my hearing aids. I am always self conscious about them but had to bite the bullet as I couldn’t hear a word being said. 

Â