Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

How WWII would have ended if Germany didn't invade winter Russia in summer clothing and decided to fight 3 fronts with 30 000 tanks held by Stalin alone. 

or if Japan had held off a little longer

or if they had been wearing full PPE when they opened the arc of the covenant

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Even 1984?  Fatherland by Robert Harris is decent enough.  Man In The High Castle was good until the ending from what I remember.

Oh, the odd novel is OK, once every decade or so. It's the ones written as if they were history books that irritate me. 

27 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Didn’t a moment of hesitation/complaceny from Hitler prevent him from basically wiping out the British army before they all slipped out the back door at Dunkirk?

Yep. 

43 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Spoiler alert. My current reading is the history of the second world war. Dont spoil the ending. 

Depends which version you're reading. Avoid the Marvel reboot. 

• Like 2

You should read Blitzed. A great book about what Hitler's personal 'doctor' was sticking into his arm. Then you realise why he was a mass murdering ****head.

Edited by AVFC_Hitz
Swearing
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Didn’t a moment of hesitation/complaceny from Hitler prevent him from basically wiping out the British army before they all slipped out the back door at Dunkirk?

That and the totally jammy shot that paralysed the Bismarck.

12 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Rommel in his field report exaggerated the strength of the British (he described our counter attack as involving "hundreds of tanks" when there a) wasnt that many and b) were outdated and technically inferior tanks anyway) but the main issue was ze germans panzer divisions were that successful that the infantry simply couldn't keep up with them, hitler therefore ordered that the tanks ceased their advance to allow the men to catch up but also allowing us to escape

if you want a big book telling you a little bit about everything then you cant go wrong with this - 

51-bHMjZWJL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

this is still my favourite WW2 book though - 

2353215.jpg

focuses on churchill, FDR and Stalin and shows the power struggles within the allies during the war

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paddywhack said:

I know Hitler was really good at mass murdering but I think it's a little distasteful for you to give him a 4 star rating.

Yep he was deffo a 5 not a 4

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

15 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Yep. 

well , yep and  No if you want to give a slightly longer answer

The actual pause order didn't originate from Hitler  , it was given by General Gerd von Rundstedt, commander of Army Group A .. Hitler rubber stamped the order , mainly as Goring had told  him the Luftwaffe could wipe the British out  .....essentially The German tank divisions had outrun their infantry and supplies, having advanced much faster than expected, and were running out of fuel and ammunition , they'd also lost about 50% of their armoured forces and needed time to regroup  , but even during the "pause" , the Germans weren't sitting there drinking schnapps and eating sauerkraut , they were pounding the crap out of the British forces with  artillery and aircraft shelling

on paper it probably seemed the correct order  , hindsight and the weather severely limiting the Luftwaffe , now shows it probably wasn't  ..but many a major battle has been won on fine margins

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Nobody I know is. 

My Nan (93) spends loads on it a week and my other 2 grandparents (when alive) did the same. 

A lad at work, his family own a newsagent and he said 75% of people spending a good amount on the lottery are pensioners. 

I was in Sainsburys this morning and there were 3 old men in the queue at the counter for the lottery (tickets in hand) and its what made me think! Maybe younger people do it via the app?

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Why is the younger generation obsessed with gambling apps?

I would assume because they are more tech savvy and likely to be using smartphones more than the older generation?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

My Nan (93) spends loads on it a week and my other 2 grandparents (when alive) did the same. 

A lad at work, his family own a newsagent and he said 75% of people spending a good amount on the lottery are pensioners. 

I was in Sainsburys this morning and there were 3 old men in the queue at the counter for the lottery (tickets in hand) and its what made me think! Maybe younger people do it via the app?

Oh, you're probably right. I get pissed off trying to buy a Saturday newspaper (the only day I buy one) if I have to use the same counter as for the lottery tickets - there's always a big queue, and yes, they are mainly oldsters. It's not a thing among my particular circle of over 60s, however. 

6 hours ago, Xela said:

I would assume because they are more tech savvy and likely to be using smartphones more than the older generation?

yeah, i just chose some numbers and set up an direct debit through the lottery website about 6 years ago... and that was that.

They email me if/when i win and send the money to my account.

Apparently if i win massive, they will ask me to ring them.  i'm still waiting.

• Like 1

Â