Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

Where's all the shit then? The bun?

How can a patty of pure beef stay looking like that for 6 months (or however long the picture on the previous page was)?

Read the link blunther posted - basically large surface area means it looses moisture quickly limiting the ability of bacteria or mould to multiply. Very similar results for most burgers. 

How can a patty of pure beef stay looking like that for 6 months (or however long the picture on the previous page was)?

Read the link blunther posted - basically large surface area means it looses moisture quickly limiting the ability of bacteria or mould to multiply. Very similar results for most burgers. 

Ah yeah cheers. Managed to miss that post.

What makes it so unhealthy though if it's just a minced cut of pure beef?  A big tasty has something like 1500 calories.

What makes it so unhealthy though if it's just a minced cut of pure beef?  A big tasty has something like 1500 calories.

A big tasty with bacon on its own is 890 calories. 

55g fat (20% plus beef mince (fried), streaky bacon (fried), cheese (processed to buggery) and the sauce(McGrath only knows whats in that))

3.4g of salt (about 50% daily recommended amount) 

A decent burger in a bun is not in itself massively unhealthy - its the fat and salt that go into McD's cooking process that makes it so terrible. 

Don't forget to read Blunthers post though. Not saying Mcd is good for you but a non moulding burger is not the problem

That is true too I suppose. There are plenty of things to give out about rather than their preservatives. The fact that they had to add the pickle to their Big Mac otherwise the FDA would have classified it as confectionary, doesn't reflect well on that (utterly delicious) product.

You do realise that is just an urban myth, right?

Urban myths, why do people take them as fact, and then pass them on?

Take the above 'fact' about a Big Mac being confectionary due to the high amount of sugar in them.  This supposes that:

The FDA has a threshold at which foods become confectionary due to a high sugar content.

This must be as a percentage of the total, as obviously adding a pickle doesn't reduce the sugar content in absolute terms.

Therefore the statement is saying that by adding a pickle, the Big Mac moves from the confectionary threshold percentage to the non-confectionary threshold.

A Big Mac weighs about 216g, of which about 8g, or just under 4% is sugar.  This doesn't strike me as a particularly high sugar content, and certainly not in the order of making it almost a dessert.  If you subtracted the two thin slices of gherking, what would the percentage be, I'd guess not even over 5%. 

Just saying!

Edited by Risso
  • Like 1

Don't forget to read Blunthers post though. Not saying Mcd is good for you but a non moulding burger is not the problem

That is true too I suppose. There are plenty of things to give out about rather than their preservatives. The fact that they had to add the pickle to their Big Mac otherwise the FDA would have classified it as confectionary, doesn't reflect well on that (utterly delicious) product.

I had a fair idea that it was. It's one of those I didn't want to check up on because it was too wonderful :D

It's small enough that it completely dries out before mold has a chance to form to any noticeable degree.

* stick it in a plastic bag to trap the moisture, and the mold will form to a noticeable degree

* leave a self-ground burger of comparable dimension out and it won't mold any more than the McDonalds burger

* leave a Quarter Pounder out and it will mold after a few days

I had a fair idea that it was. It's one of those I didn't want to check up on because it was too wonderful :D

No, posting that sort of idiocy merely indicates that one is not capable of thinking critically, because any critical thinking would show that there's the same or less reason to believe that as there is to believe that the Bible is literally true.

* there is no legally relevant distinction between confectionery and any other food in US law. Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program ("food stamp") benefits have no restrictions on what can be bought, beyond that the purchase must be food or non-alcoholic drink. One can (and it's reasonably common to see at, e.g. Wal-Mart*) buy nothing but Little Debbie snack cakes and Coca-Cola (various states have proposed enacting laws barring the use of SNAP to purchase such items, but the federal government has effectively said that doing so will result in the state being cut off from SNAP).

* even if there was for groceries, it wouldn't apply to restaurants (where there's no federal regulation, and generally no state/local regulation beyond cleanliness of the preparation area, certification of management for allergen awareness, and in some places, requirements that nutritional estimates be put on menus and signage)

* the voluminous examples (often posted by me in the "Crap food" thread) of delicacies that make the Big Mac look decidedly small & healthy from other US fast food, fast casual, and casual dining chains

* that it's the Big Mac cited and not the Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese:

Calories: Big Mac 550-750 Double QPC

Fat calories: BM 260-380 DQPC

Fat: BM 29g - 43g DQPC

Saturated fat: BM 10g - 19g DQPC (the DQPC is 96% of the recommended maximum intake!)

Trans fat: BM 1g - 2.5g DQPC

Cholesterol: BM 75mg - 160mg DQPC

Sodium: BM 970mg - 1280mg DQPC

Carbs: BM 46g - 42g DQPC (the Big Mac has vegetables, the DQPC doesn't)

Fiber: BM 3g - 3g DQPC

Sugar: BM 9g - 10g DQPC

As for Super-Size Me, over the past five or so years, on the vast (probably greater than 90%) majority of days where I haven't had a Double QPC, I've had a double or triple Baconator, or a double or triple Whopper, or one of the various large-size steak-and-cheese sandwiches mentioned in the "Crap food" thread. I have normal cholesterol and blood sugar levels.

*: I've worked in establishments where the majority of food sales were paid for by SNAP (a few thousand dollars a week worth; food was not the primary product we sold), and, after milk, cans of sardines were basically the healthiest thing sold.

Â