Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

It's the reason if you watch oasis music video "d'ya know what I mean?" - the definition is absolutely incredible and looks like it was filmed in 4k in 1997 lol.

Watch it, it's like going back in time 20 years with today's best cameras.

Proper helicopters too, none of the CGI shit.  You'd never have guessed there were strings on the original tune before the remaster came out either.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Is that all it is?

So effectively films were (or still are?) downgraded in quality to match the medium they're being played on?

It's something I've not really thought about before, then the other day I was thinking "Hang on..."

I went to see 2001 space odessey at the Prince Charles in Leicester Square the other week and that was the original cut in 70mm which from memory is something like 18000 lines of definition so more like 6k ?

So still some scope for improvement ...

• Like 3

On 03/10/2018 at 09:26, bickster said:

Parents not married, takes both names. Not that there's anything wrong with that but it does highlight to the people that may care about such nonsense, that the child was born out of wedlock

My friend was adopted as she was conceived during a holiday romance with a very young mother. 

I could go on for ages about her story and eventual reunion with her mother only in the last few years but her birth story still weirds me out. 

I grew up in Moseley and had no idea about this till she told me. 

To this day she can tell people she was born at The Grange in Moseley and people will gasp. 

Reason? 

The Grange is where unmarried mothers went to give birth because THE WERE NOT  ALLOWED TO GIVE BIRTH IN A REGULAR HOSPITAL. 

She was born in 1968, it sounds like something Victorian but went well on into the 70's I understand. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

On 03/10/2018 at 07:39, bickster said:

It's the indication that technically the child is a bastard

I can't remember if it was for us when we get married or for our little girl, but my Mrs approached me about combining our names. I think she realised straight away that I wasn't keen, I don't think I even said anything. 

I did compromise though. Her surname is Harper so our daughter has got that as a middle name.

The weird one though is she has a daughter who has her ex's surname. Who will obviously have a different surname to the 3 of us when we get married next year. The chances of him letting her change her name are slim and understandable even if a dick. More than happy for her to do it if she wants when she can, but she's only 6 so that's not happening any time soon. Anyway my Mrs has suggested she has  ours with her current surname. Which I'm not going to object to, if it even happens, but do think it's a bit weird.

2 hours ago, limpid said:

The only weird thing is that people have become accustomed to men branding "their" women with their surname.

Using the male name as the family name is at least useful as an agreed convention for anybody researching family tree history. 

And I do find it amusing when women refuse to take their husband's name for feminist reasons, insisting on keeping their, errr... dad's name. 

Perhaps we should adopt the Icelandic system. 

21 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Proper helicopters too, none of the CGI shit.  You'd never have guessed there were strings on the original tune before the remaster came out either.

Is that the 'NG Rethink' mix?

It bought the strings out a lot better after getting rid of layers of guitars!

• Like 1

I have been wondering quite a lot today about why people think bookies have the tiniest idea about who is going to be the new manager of a football club. 

• Like 1

Which is the unofficial Halloween night out when the 31st doesn’t fall on a Friday or Saturday? If it lands on a Sunday, is it the Saturday the 30th or a week after?

If it’s a Wednesday like this year, is it Saturday 27th or the Friday 1st Nov? or is it Saturday 2nd Nov?

Essentially what I’m asking is, which is the MAIN day people will be in costumes and how can I avoid it?

1 hour ago, a m ole said:

Which is the unofficial Halloween night out when the 31st doesn’t fall on a Friday or Saturday? If it lands on a Sunday, is it the Saturday the 30th or a week after?

If it’s a Wednesday like this year, is it Saturday 27th or the Friday 1st Nov? or is it Saturday 2nd Nov?

Essentially what I’m asking is, which is the MAIN day people will be in costumes and how can I avoid it?

I’d say on balance it’s preferable for a Halloween party to take place in October. If the 31st landed on a Thursday, I guess people would be tempted to hold the party on the Friday. 

I know my mate is going to one on the 27th, if that helps.

• Thanks 1

Â