Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

27 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

When I first joined this site, I thought I'd stumbled on some cult-like saying that I'd never seen before. Even had me searching Urban Dictionary. It took a while before I realised it was the filter. It was a relief though to find I'm not completely out of touch with the kids. 

I read my kids a bedtime story once and it contained the sentence "clearing in the woods " luckily for me I didn't replace it with the word clearing in the woods  as I read it :)

edit - second use of  citw courtesy of swear filter 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

Just now, V01 said:

It rhymes with @

Ah, I see, cheers. 

I always assumed it was the word word removed, as rocket polisher was pretty easy to guess. Now I feel a clearing in the woods for not realising clearing in the woods was clearing in the woods because it does make sense now I think about it* 

*at least in the 70's anyway :huh:

3 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

I was thinking earlier today, and wondering why we wait for people to die, to say how we really feel about them? I was reading a post from a facebook friend, and in it he was talking about someone he knew who had died, and saying such nice and warm things about him. It made me wonder if he'd ever said what he thought about him, to him when he was alive? I tried to think back to when I've been in similar circumstances, and if I ever told those people what I thought about them. I can't recall ever doing so. Maybe it's part of the grieving process. Maybe it's therapeutic for the bereaved, to say it after they've died. I suppose it would be a bit weird if your mate came up and told you what they liked about you, even more so if they posted it on a public forum or social media.  

See that Cyanide and Wotsit cartoon in the Funny Pics thread. We're blokes. Worse, we're British (Isles) blokes. We don't do that shit, 

I've just got in from a running club do that was partly in honour of our former men's team captain, who was there in his Steven Hawking wheelchair - he has MND, and is going downhill fast (yeah, yeah, I know). Some nice speeches, and a guest book in which we wrote our memories and good wishes. We may as well have said to him YOU'RE NEARLY DEAD, AREN'T YOU? :(

• Like 3

Yeah, I totally see what you're saying, and 100% agree. It would be totally weird to actually do it, but other than being repressed, British men, what is stopping us from saying to our mates and loved ones, that we think they're not rocket polishers? A playful punch in the arm, and buying them a pint will have to do.  

Who actually phones 118 118.  Literally the last thing I would consider doing is phoning them for a number. I mean who hasn't got Google readily available.  OK I know there are some people who. Don't have a smart phone or tablet or computer but they really are a massive minority group yet 118 118 has one of the largest advertising budgets known to man when I am amazed they even exist. Am I missing something? 

• Like 1

If I was to somehow hover above the ground in the same position for a period of time, when I land would I land in the same place that I took off from.

Edited by useless

5 hours ago, useless said:

If I was to somehow hover above the ground in the same position for a period of time, when I land would I land in the same place that I took off from.

No. 

It's actually quite a dangerous thing to do if you go too far up too quickly. It's the speed of ascent and the total distance from the earth's fragile yet beautiful outer skin that you have to be wary of. Space time schizz innit.

I jumped for joy when Villa won the Champions League in 2021.

Now I'm back here.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, useless said:

"Hover" implies that you stay over the same ground. So yes.

Your frame of reference here is yourself, so if you discount forces external to the described system, the only thing that can change is the nature of the "place" where you land. Due to many things (atomic decay, quantum fluctuations, other entropy) that can never be the exactly the same (and neither are you). If your context excludes those changes then you land in the same place.

I had floating about 12 feet from the ground in mind, so still in the earth's atmopshere. I guess another question might be, if I was to keep jumping up and down on the spot for a long time, would I eventually start landing in a different place because the earth is spinning beneath me, whilst I'm in the air.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

I had floating about 12 feet from the ground in mind, so still in the earth's atmopshere. I guess another question might be, if I was to keep jumping up and down on the spot for a long time, would I eventually start landing in a different place because the earth is spinning beneath me, whilst I'm in the air.

No. In the described frame, the error bars around your jump accuracy would put the movement of the earth way down into the noise level. Even if you could guarantee that you could jump perfectly accurately, you are effectively in a closed system where the atmosphere is moving with the surface of the earth and therefore would move you with it when you jump.

' you are effectively in a closed system where the atmosphere is moving with the surface of the earth and therefore would move you with it when you jump.'

That's basically what I was wondering but didn't really know how to word. Seems obvious now, lol.

It's a classic thought experiment that crops up in loads of basic physics books. A lorry has perches in the back with a load of budgies sitting on them. The lorry is driving at 60mph - what happens if they all decide to take off from their perches and hover for a while? Do they all get slammed to the back of the truck as it hurtles along? (The answer is no). 

• Like 1

On 17/06/2016 at 21:33, tonyh29 said:

edit - second use of  citw courtesy of swear filter 

Yeah I think with that one it's less 'swear' filter and more 'humourous word' filter.  As there are far more offensive words that don't get filtered, and it was more a moment of mirth from one of the guys :)

• Like 1

Another year older today. Just 3 more until I hit 40. 

I do wonder what I will be doing at 40. Will I be single? Still doing the same job? Still living in Sutton? I hope not but more than likely I will be as I was asking the same questions last year and the year before. 

I wonder if I will ever be brave enough to make a huge change in my life. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

Â