dudevillaisnice

18 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Be interesting when we play them, the unstoppable force (our form against them since being promoted) versus the immovable object (Dyche's record against us).

In all seriousness, whilst it would be amusing on multiple levels to see Everton go down we'd be better off seeing Bournemouth, West Ham (not happening) and Wolves go down given their records against us.

To be fair we did beat Dyche's Burnley in our first season back up.

Our record against West Ham on the other hand is abysmal.

20 hours ago, The_Rev said:

They aren’t even close. We were circling the drain for five years.  Everton routinely post 50 points.  They’ll flirt with the drop this season but get out of it and be back to mid table next year.  

Struggling to agree with you here mate. They are not in the relegation zone by accident it’s because they have poor quality players and a poor board and ownership. That’s unlikely to change by next year given the current situation they are in and I just don’t see them being able to improve what is already and awful squad with much quality. I am half expecting that the Anthony Gordon money (lol that anyone paid anything for him in my opinion) will be funnelled back into the Russian guys pocket. 

I think league wise they are in a better position than we were when we went down but as a club I think they would be in serous financial trouble with this new stadium and no premier league money plus a bloated poor squad on high wages probably with no reduction clauses. It will be interesting to see and all I can say is I’m glad it’s not us anymore or at least for now

• Like 1

They've just had a transfer window where they've failed to sign a single player when their squad desperately needed improving, all their rivals improved their squads, most of them significantly so, they're now failing to sign free agents like Andre Ayew, missing out to a team like Forest, they've appointed a manager who whilst overall did well at Burnley, when he left they had won just four of the last thirty and were well on course for relegation.

Dyche might keep them up, I wouldn't rule that in or out, but how much they resemble us when we went down is pretty much irrelevant, they're still in a bad way at the moment regardless, one could say that none of the relegation threatend teams resemble us at our most dismal hour, but three of them are still going to get relegated.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Missed out on Andre Ayew then (if they were in for him, gone Forest apparently)

Where on earth is he going to play at Forest? They have Wood as main CF with likes of Johnson and Gibbs White linking up. Seems a bit pointless to me even by their standards.

Thought he was well past it when he went back for a second spell at Swansea and they went down. Just checked and that was 2018!

23 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

His obly hope os getting calvin lewin playing and scoring the goals. Only him onana and gray can score goals in that team.

I still find it mad they sold gordon and got no replacement in their position.crazy

Obly Wan Kinobly you are my obly hope

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

His obly hope os getting calvin lewin playing and scoring the goals. Only him onana and gray can score goals in that team.

I still find it mad they sold gordon and got no replacement in their position.crazy

I don't think he'll be looking at far up the pitch. He'll be targetting clean sheets. Wouldn't surprise me if they've only worked on team shape, defending and set pieces for the last couple of weeks.

There's not a manager in the world that will get that team scoring 2+ goals per game on average therefore he'll defend deep, reduce the chances opposition create against them and hope that they're good enough to average 1 goal per game that'll be enough for some draws and wins.

15 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

I don't think he'll be looking at far up the pitch. He'll be targetting clean sheets. Wouldn't surprise me if they've only worked on team shape, defending and set pieces for the last couple of weeks.

There's not a manager in the world that will get that team scoring 2+ goals per game on average therefore he'll defend deep, reduce the chances opposition create against them and hope that they're good enough to average 1 goal per game that'll be enough for some draws and wins.

No question he has to get them more organised but scoring goals is vital for them. He is going to have to come up with a forumula to get some goals as you cant pin your hopes on 1-0 wins. We saw how that went under gerrard- hos burnely team did score goals so wouldnt suprise me if they scored more than people expect.

Not a great opening game for them to start with but imagine they get something? The confidence will be sky high

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

No question he has to get them more organised but scoring goals is vital for them. He is going to have to come up with a forumula to get some goals as you cant pin your hopes on 1-0 wins. We saw how that went under gerrard- hos burnely team did score goals so wouldnt suprise me if they scored more than people expect.

Not a great opening game for them to start with but imagine they get something? The confidence will be sky high

I think they will get something out of the Arsenal game. its a mismatch in talent but they will be so up for it Arsenal will know they have been in a game. 

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I think they will get something out of the Arsenal game. its a mismatch in talent but they will be so up for it Arsenal will know they have been in a game. 

Dunno, same could be said last year when they sacked Rafa and stuck big dunc in charge, they were definitley up for that game, put a shift in, put some fiesty tackles in and yet we of all teams still beat them comfortably (from memory)

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

Dunno, same could be said last year when they sacked Rafa and stuck big dunc in charge, they were definitley up for that game, put a shift in, put some fiesty tackles in and yet we of all teams still beat them comfortably (from memory)

Dunc lost his first game as manager of Forest Green. I think Dyche has far more pedigree.. 

7 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Dyche is going to have to be a miracle worker to be honest 😬

0E55C2BD-19E7-4B28-B7E1-E4CD978C48A8.jpeg

Edited by theboyangel

20 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Where on earth is he going to play at Forest? They have Wood as main CF with likes of Johnson and Gibbs White linking up. Seems a bit pointless to me even by their standards.

Thought he was well past it when he went back for a second spell at Swansea and they went down. Just checked and that was 2018!

Premier League has more money than Crassus but somehow there's still a bidding war for Andre Ayew on a free in the year of our Lord 2022 :crylaugh:

• Like 2

As I said a few months ago, whilst in Malta in November Iwas speaking to someone who was friends with one of the physios who told him Yina is finished and Calvert-Lewin is on the way to being done too. They're performing miracles to get him on the pitch. They are desperate to stay up as they are lining up buyers based on being in the premiership and new stadium.

He said at the time that Frank was popular with the players but out of his depth, and the club behind the scenes was a car crash.

I don't see what's changed except Dyche has a mandate to keep them up and in the prem til they can get the stadium built so they can sell the club for a higher amount based on premier League football and a ground getting top flight football and attendance.

Edited by stewiek2
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

Yep, clean sheets, kick **** out of the opposition, long ball, set pieces, hope that'll be enough.

That's his likely plan.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Yep, clean sheets, kick **** out of the opposition, long ball, set pieces, hope that'll be enough.

That's his likely plan.

10 or 20 years ago I agree this was the blueprint to survive when in Everton's position.  It has been implemented numerous times by teams in trouble and they have survived somehow.

I don't think this approach alone will work anymore,  the game has slightly changed in that the long ball for example is inviting pressure and releasing possession really is a no no against most premier league teams now,  its hard to get the ball back.  Possession and getting the ball into positions that create free-kick and corner chances mean that they actually need to play in and around the opposition box and convert the opportunities.

The introduction of VAR has also clipped the wings of this approach,  there is few opportunities to be that over physical side,  the clean-sheets relies on not giving away free kicks and red cards for tackles etc.  

I think they are going to properly struggle,  even if there is a sudden improvement,  injuries and suspensions will hopefully pile up and that will be them done.

I want them gone,  down and out well before the end of the season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

10 or 20 years ago I agree this was the blueprint to survive when in Everton's position.  It has been implemented numerous times by teams in trouble and they have survived somehow.

I don't think this approach alone will work anymore,  the game has slightly changed in that the long ball for example is inviting pressure and releasing possession really is a no no against most premier league teams now,  its hard to get the ball back.  Possession and getting the ball into positions that create free-kick and corner chances mean that they actually need to play in and around the opposition box and convert the opportunities.

The introduction of VAR has also clipped the wings of this approach,  there is few opportunities to be that over physical side,  the clean-sheets relies on not giving away free kicks and red cards for tackles etc.  

I think they are going to properly struggle,  even if there is a sudden improvement,  injuries and suspensions will hopefully pile up and that will be them done.

I want them gone,  down and out well before the end of the season.

Defensive solidity has always been the main way to improve results at the bottom. It’s really rare that you can coach a team mid season into being a decent possession based team.

• Like 1

Â