Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

are people arguing about our top forward, the most prolific english forward in the top flight? saying he isnt good enough? when we are in the bottom 1/4 of the table?

really?

scoring lots of goals for 1 season is all well and good, angel managed it for 1 season for us, but then what?

bent has done it each and every season he has had a manager who plays him

the only times he has not done it is where he has had a manager who hated him or a manager who is as thick as shit, so 2 seasons he has under performed, 1 is this season with a manager who is as thick as shit

the other time is melt face who only played him as a sub for 5 minutes here and there

he is the player we have needed for the last 10 years, we now have him and typical villa, we get a retard as a manager, someone so clueless and tactically inept , he blunts the top scorer in the league, turns one of the most exciting forward in nzogbia into an ineffective unhappy player and gabby into a slow 1 dimensional passenger

way to go

The one regret over Darren Bent has to be we signed him when we were in decline as club.

He really should've been signed at some stage under MON, he would've scored hatfuls in that team with crosses flying in from Young every 5 minutes.

I think the injury has worked in our favour, think Bent will still be here come the start of the season.

If he'd gone off to the euros and scored a few goals, his stock would be high here and in europe and I doubt he'd have been thrilled to come back for another mid table season.

Come back for another mid table season!

Did I miss something and have we suddenly got good and shot up the league table?

We still have a team to provide to Bent. Its just McLeish does not use players effectively. Ireland, Nzog and Albrighton even Gabby could all provide Bent with more than enough assists. We just dont play that type of game. With McLeish tactics he will always be alone striker. If we played around Bent it would be a mush more entertaining dynamic game.

Can't believe us boys would let darren bent go , he scores for fun , are we mad ! We been crying out for a goalscorer for ages ! He could become a legend !!

Sometimes you have to see the bigger picture and know when to sell. I think it's the perfect time to sell and fine tune Villa's squad. Bent simply isn't mobile or dynamic enough which, in turn, limits the team. A more dynamic front man opens up more options and styles of play.

As I said before, if you want someone more "dynamic" but also with a similar goalscoring ability then we'd need to spend our entire transfer budget on his replacement and break our wage structure.

Seriously out of the strikers who score at a similar rate to Bent in the Prem, who exaclty is less dynamic? Surely he has the worst all round game of any of them. Someone like Fletcher at Wolves has every bit a good as record as Bent has for you and he wouldn't be on anywhere near the wages Bent is on. Even if you use the excuse that Bent hasn't had good service this season and use last season stats, he still only scored every 156 minutes, yet Grant Holt has scored every 142 mins for Norwich this season and he's be on way less the Bent. Fletcher scored at a quicker raet for Wolves last season and this season.

I honestly just don't think you are aware of this, as you talk about Bent like he's some goal scoring sensation. He's just a striker who has played lot in the Prem so has an overall high goals total. But in reality he's not a striker that is particuarly likely to get you a goal given an even amount of playing time with numerous other Prem stikers.

Newcastle have shown you don't need to break the bank to buy much better for less. Both Cisse and Ba are proof of this. I can't believe Hernandez cost Utd much in wages and Villa would certainly have paid much more than a Mexican club. Jelavic looks a real classy player for Everton and I can't believe they are paying him more than you pay Bent. Isn't this evidence that if you just look around, you can improve on Bent without big spending?

Not many strikers have the same striker rate as Bent though. You bring up the likes of Fletcher and Holt but could they do it season on season?

I'm not saying Bent is world class or anything because he's not. He wouldn't be at Villa if he was. However, he's one of the best goalscorers in the league and it would be very hard to replace him. Look at this season for example. Despite the very poor service he's still bagged 10 goals and will probably end the season as our top scorer despite being out injured for a big chunk of the season.

As far as his all-round game goes, it's better than people give him credit for.

The problem with Villa is that not only wont we be able to attract players but cant keep them either and no way is Bent going to want to stay at Villa and I for one dont blame him!

Bent alongside Weimann is certainly a partnership worth looking at. Although DB ideally operates alone up front, I think the problem lies in playing another big (or bigger) ego up with him. Maybe thats Gabby's issue.

With young Weimann, I don't think you'd have the same problem. He is learning all the time, has the edge over Gabby already and looks to do all the things that Bent does'nt. Pairing the two could be a simple case of opposites attracting.

• 2 weeks later...
What's this about Bent and Gabby not getting on? Any proof or is this just rumors?

it's garbage. they get on fine. Gabby does not like being out wide which is why he is keen on a move

Â