Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

I am amazed he got 10 goals under McLeish's system. I know how harsh we were on Bent in the beginning of the season but look how shitty our offense has been this season. I am amazed he even got to 10 goals with the lack of chances we create. We need to keep him at this club if we want to avoid relegation next year.

What's this about Bent and Gabby not getting on? Any proof or is this just rumors?

it's garbage. they get on fine. Gabby does not like being out wide which is why he is keen on a move

WHAT!?!?Gabby wants a move away from the club???

Where have you heard this from?

What's this about Bent and Gabby not getting on? Any proof or is this just rumors?

it's garbage. they get on fine. Gabby does not like being out wide which is why he is keen on a move

Well if he put the **** ball in the net when he DID have the chance through the middle maybe he wouldn't be stuck out wide.

Well if he put the **** ball in the net when he DID have the chance through the middle maybe he wouldn't be stuck out wide.

I think when he started the season strongly it was starting up front and scaring the shit out of defenders with his runs in the channels. By pulling defenders out of position it frees up Bent to make his runs in the box and put it in the back of the net. When McLeish's negative 4-5-1 really took hold Gabby ended up getting more marginalised and he just hasn't got the intelligence to make it as a winger. Gabby is just one of many who have suffered under McLeish's guidance.

• 2 weeks later...

We all know how Darren Bent helped us stay up last season but these stats show how important he actually is to us and how we have struggled before he signed last season and since he got injured in Feb.

With Bent: 38 games, 13 wins, 14 draws, 11 loses, 48 scored, 48 conceded, 53 points

Without Bent: 36 games, 6 wins, 14 draws, 16 loses, 36 scored, 61 conceded, 32 points

Make of that want you want to

Even this season we have missed him when he has not played

With Bent: 22 games, 6 wins, 9 draws, 7 defeats, 26 goals, 28 conceded, 27 points

Without Bent: 14 games, 1 win, 7 draws, 6 defeats, 10 goals, 22 conceded, 10 points

Some say sell him but the stats show that despite the 2 poor seasons we are alot better with him than without.

Those 38 games he has played for us if you take that as a season he would fo got 18 goals and we would of finished top 10 maybe top 8.

We have won 7 league games this season. He has played in 6 of them and scored in 5 of those. Why are some people content to sell him in the summer?
Because McLeish doesn't know how to use him, although I expect many have changed their minds now that McLeish will almost certainly be leaving in the summer.

Oh yeah, and he's apparently "lazy".

Really winds me up seeing people slag him off and yet praising Gabby for being a Villa boy with a great work ethic, I presume by this they mean run, miss an easy chance and stand around with hands on hips.

Bent is a class player when not having long balls played for him to both bring down and score from when he is waiting for the rest to "charge" forward to join him. I think people expect him to take on every defender and curl one in, that is the only thing he can do because the tactics have him stranded alone with others 10-20 yards away and by the time they join him, the play has closed down and there is no space.

Im quite staggered by how much we appear to be missing Bent, looking at those stats. Obviously his absence isnt the sole reason for those lower points tally/goals but it looks like a big factor.

I actually thought Gabby would step up to the plate in Bents absence and whilst not be as prolific as Bent of past seasons, be as effective - if not more (with his all round game) - given the tactics Mcleish was using. However, Im actually quite disgusted how bad Gabby has been. Going on an embarrassment in the games I have seen.

So, hold hands up on that one.

I hope people now have realised how important Bent is to our team. Selling Bent in the summer will be as bad a decision in my eyes as employing McLeish. Hopefully if we get a new manager the team can be built around Bent making a quality attacking side like we all want to see. Any new manager will need the vision to see how Ireland, Nzog and Bent can be a fearful combination.

Not surprised really, those saying Gabby is better than Bent upfront i'm sure don't hold that opinion anymore.

Bent -> Gabby all day, everyday.. unfortunately I don't think we'll see Bent next season playing for us.

Its not a case of that; its a case of what system Villa play. At the moment its hard to see what system we play. If the ball is being put into the right channels then sure Bent. If we play where the striker has to harry and chase the ball then Gabby does that. Bent was great when he had a supply line. At the moment we have no supply at all; no decent wing play. Well actually good for nothing.

Anyway hopefully a new manager will set us up to play a system and then buy and sell the players to play that way.

Darren Bent is our best player, and people talking about selling him do not know what they are talking about.

We are lucky that he is not good enough for any of the top teams, at the same time too expensive for Liverpool. And Spurs has already had him before.

This data totally ignores the fact the entire teams form had dropped well before Bent got injured. In the first 2 months of this year your relegation form had already started and Bent was in the team. From January 1st until he got injured you played 7 games and won 1, which was against Wolves. With or without Bent, the relegation form was evident from your first defeat of the season, which came in mid October.

You could just as easily say your form is down to Petrov's illness as you haven't won a game since, but the truth it's just a continuation of a decline that was already happening. With Petrov in the team you won 1.23 ppg, but without him, an incredibly low 0.5 ppg. So the evidence is much stronger that he is far more important to you than Bent. But in truth, your form had taken a big decline before Stans illness. Even with your key players, things started going very wrong for you after the first couple of months of the season. It's not helped by having several key players missing all at once, but the idea that you've missed one indvidual player greatly seems pretty false. It's been a gradual and consistent delcine which in recent weeks has been compounded further by several key players being out.

Im quite staggered by how much we appear to be missing Bent, looking at those stats. Obviously his absence isnt the sole reason for those lower points tally/goals but it looks like a big factor.

I actually thought Gabby would step up to the plate in Bents absence and whilst not be as prolific as Bent of past seasons, be as effective - if not more (with his all round game) - given the tactics Mcleish was using. However, Im actually quite disgusted how bad Gabby has been. Going on an embarrassment in the games I have seen.

So, hold hands up on that one.

Me too.

I'm a massive Gabby fan but he has not stepped up to the plate at all in Bent's absence.

Â