Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

I really hope Gabby and Bent form a proper partnership next season. If Gabby can stay fit, the two of them could be absolutely electric...

droooool

Indeed if we can get Gabby back to the beast of last season i think it could be very promising.

I didn't like Houllier telling Gabby to stop bulking up, because his hold up play was superb last season, and would work well with Bent in my opinion.

I thought he just meant to stop bulking up anymore, otherwise he'd lose his pace which is one of his best attributes.

I really hope Gabby and Bent form a proper partnership next season. If Gabby can stay fit, the two of them could be absolutely electric...

droooool

Indeed if we can get Gabby back to the beast of last season i think it could be very promising.

I didn't like Houllier telling Gabby to stop bulking up, because his hold up play was superb last season, and would work well with Bent in my opinion.

I thought he just meant to stop bulking up anymore, otherwise he'd lose his pace which is one of his best attributes.

As I recall he went a little further than that, suggesting he wanted Gabby to return to the player he used to be.

I thought Heskey generally was pretty poor vs West Ham, I think since that Sunderland game and the signing of Bent, which has reduced Heskey back to being 2nd/3rd choice, his confidence has been lost. I think he was thriving of being the main striker for us and he was excellent earlier in the season but vs West Ham, he looked a shadow of what he was. Which is a shame.
While Heskey was at the top of his game earlier in the season, he is by no means meant to lead the line as he often failed to get into any sort of goal scoring position and often missed easy chances when he did. I think Heskey next to Bent would be his best possible position.

I thought Heskey generally was pretty poor vs West Ham, I think since that Sunderland game and the signing of Bent, which has reduced Heskey back to being 2nd/3rd choice, his confidence has been lost. I think he was thriving of being the main striker for us and he was excellent earlier in the season but vs West Ham, he looked a shadow of what he was. Which is a shame.
While Heskey was at the top of his game earlier in the season, he is by no means meant to lead the line as he often failed to get into any sort of goal scoring position and often missed easy chances when he did. I think Heskey next to Bent would be his best possible position.

I think Heskey's best position is on the bench. Had a few very good games for us this season, its true, but he's never been good enough for us IMO

droooool

As I recall he went a little further than that, suggesting he wanted Gabby to return to the player he used to be.

Yeah he said he wanted Gabby to lose some bulk to become faster, maybe to put him wide, i dont know, but i think Gabby's pretty useless wide.

I think Heskey's best position is on the bench. Had a few very good games for us this season, its true, but he's never been good enough for us IMO

agreed, i think quite a few posters were fooled into thinking he was decent by his 3 goals quite early on in the season

Got a good goal, and by the looks of it (although ive only seen it once) should have had 2.

Also looked (and Ive only seen MOTD) that he was more involved creatively. Great pass out wide to Ash and some nice 'Yorke/cole' one twos with Ash in the 2nd half.

How did he look overal with Heskey??

from

I dont rate him. simple as. I think its a waste of money. Yes goalscorers cost money, but hes not scoring. Maybe the service hasnt been great but ive seen him miss a hatful. When you think Chelsea got drogba - a goalscorer and a great alround game for pretty much the same price, it just doesnt add up.

3 goals in 8?? Not good enough for me. Im sure people will say give him time, but, we aint got time!!

lol, yep fair play. I assumed you meant from what I was saying on friday.

That must have been after the wolves game when frustrations were high. Since then hes scored 3 in 3 so fair play to him.

I think you will agree tho that since that post Ive been less aggressive/frustrated with him in what I have said. Today isnt the first time ive said positive things about him

Yes it was apres Wolves. Where emotions were running high, which is why my post was delivered with a wink. People say kneejerk things sometimes, we all do it. Anyway, I'm glad you were wrong! :D;)

so am i!!

I definately overeacted, however my overal opinion of Darren hasnt changed over a few nice touches on motd against a poor west ham side.

Its a start, and i feel its necessary to acknowledge that, but i still have seen more bad than good with regards to his work off - the ball.

I suppose my worry is - what happens when he goes on an inevitable streak without scoring - as all strikers do.

Woodytom, don't take this as any sort of better-fan-than-you comment because I only get down to less than ten games a season myself so I'm in no position to talk. Just wondering if you've actually watched him much at games?

You said with the West Ham game you'd only seen it on MotD. Obviously that's an away game but are you a Villa Park regular? I only ask because I find that when I watch Bent on TV I don't appreciate him nearly as much as when I see him live, and see his constant work-rate and the way he runs defences ragged by constantly being on their shoulder, peeling away, appearing again etc even when the ball isn't there.

I certainly recommend at your next live game ignoring the ball at some point and just watching him - the first time I did it completely changed my opinion of him.

I suppose my worry is - what happens when he goes on an inevitable streak without scoring - as all strikers do.

Hah, kind of answered your own question there really :D

Indeed, it happens to all strikers, so no matter who we had on our books, it would no doubt happen to them too.

I'll admit, there was a time when I wasn't a believer. I used to think he was a waste at Spurs, but he's definitely a poacher and we have needed someone who knows where the back of the net is for ages now. I'm definitely over the moon we have him. Number 9 for next season, I don't care if Ireland is still here (hopefully not though).

Woodytom, don't take this as any sort of better-fan-than-you comment because I only get down to less than ten games a season myself so I'm in no position to talk. Just wondering if you've actually watched him much at games?

You said with the West Ham game you'd only seen it on MotD. Obviously that's an away game but are you a Villa Park regular? I only ask because I find that when I watch Bent on TV I don't appreciate him nearly as much as when I see him live, and see his constant work-rate and the way he runs defences ragged by constantly being on their shoulder, peeling away, appearing again etc even when the ball isn't there.

I certainly recommend at your next live game ignoring the ball at some point and just watching him - the first time I did it completely changed my opinion of him.

Your absolutely spot on, - I always try to acknowledge that i havent been able to watch much football on tv this season (nevermind get to games), for work reasons

However, i was at the Newcastle and didnt think he offered much. Not only did I think Gabby offered more effort, I actually think in that game he looked the more likely to score.

but yes, my opinion of darren bent is far from conclusive

Indeed, it happens to all strikers, so no matter who we had on our books, it would no doubt happen to them too.

I'll admit, there was a time when I wasn't a believer. I used to think he was a waste at Spurs, but he's definitely a poacher and we have needed someone who knows where the back of the net is for ages now. I'm definitely over the moon we have him. Number 9 for next season, I don't care if Ireland is still here (hopefully not though).

No im basically saying - what will he offer to the team?

When rooney is not scoring for example, we know he can offer other things. Im yet to see in bulk what darren Bent can offer when hes not scoring - thats all. Hopefully he doesnt have a streak.

No im basically saying - what will he offer to the team?

When rooney is not scoring for example, we know he can offer other things. Im yet to see in bulk what darren Bent can offer when hes not scoring - thats all. Hopefully he doesnt have a streak.

To my mind Bent offers huge amounts to the team play. When we dont have the ball he comes deep, when we do have it he's pulling defenders out of position all over the place and much more.

This 'all he does is score goals' thing is just VT myth.

Your absolutely spot on, - I always try to acknowledge that i havent been able to watch much football on tv this season (nevermind get to games), for work reasons

However, i was at the Newcastle and didnt think he offered much. Not only did I think Gabby offered more effort, I actually think in that game he looked the more likely to score.

but yes, my opinion of darren bent is far from conclusive

That's fair enough. Definitely worth giving him some special focus next time you do go down. Not saying it'll 100% convince you he's brilliant, but see what you think.

I also, as it happens, thought Gabby had a very good game v Newcastle.

This 'all he does is score goals' thing is just VT myth.

I think it's more football myth, and it's basically rooted in the fact that's pretty much all he did a couple of years ago.

He's stepped up his game. Still, the goals will always be his main thing and I'm happy with that.

Gary Lineker springs to mind. What a crap player ... all he did was score goals!

Bent is that type of player.

That is why, for me, you have to build a team around him to make sure:

1. That you get the best out of him by feeding him with as many chances as possible; and

2. You have nine other outfield players that can do more than/contribute in a wider sense.

Bent is the best goalscorer in the league. Lets appreciate him for that and make sure that we exploit that fully.

Â