Alan Hutton

Rich_D

24 minutes ago, bobzy said:

He's really not that bad.  Like Westwood, he's just synonymous with a terrible period at Aston Villa. 

He's not that bad defensively, I'll agree.

But going forward he is woeful. I've said it before but his delivery into the box is genuinely shameful.

The year 2050. The world has been devastated by an apocolypse. Practically all life as we know it has ceased to exist, the machines rule the world now and nature has taken back what was once theirs. We exist now only in small communities -dotted around the planet, keeping our heads low, scavenging what we can, getting by in the cover of moonlight.

Alan Hutton can still be seen though, running up and down Villa Park most weeks.

It will never end.

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

He's really not that bad.  Like Westwood, he's just synonymous with a terrible period at Aston Villa. 

But that is the problem. If we want to get out of this terrible period, we have to look away from the players that do just enough. Hutton doesn't contribute enough defensively and definitely not offensively to justify him being in our XI. Bacuna at right back was always a threat going forward, but occasionally suspect at the back whereas Hutton is terrible going forward, and yet still is not a rock defensively. 

I just can't see what purpose starting Hutton brings. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

But going forward he is woeful. I've said it before but his delivery into the box is genuinely shameful.

Agreed.

But this is the Championship, so you'd do well to find players who are good at both ends at full back. Personally speaking, I prefer a more defensively stable full back. I'd rather have 2 Hutton type player over 2 Amavi players. As shown yesterday, he can still be involved in goals. Amavi is too, but they all happened to be at our own end.

• Like 1

I went to the game last night for the first time in a while and nothing has improved on the Hutton front for me. I think he is ok in a challenge but his positioning is really remarkably poor. Several times last night he was suddenly at centre back or even closer to left back leaving a gaping hole on the right. I find it utterly bizarre that a professional footballer with so many games under their belt can get basics like that horribly wrong. 

Hutton's not that good defensively....he made a pathetic attempt to clear the ball from a corner that nearly cost a goal (or it was in the build up to the 3rd goal I can't quite remember) and we saw in the prem his positional play against decent wide players was all over the place.

I guess he plays as he at least adds height so useful when defending set plays with Jedinak still missing.

7 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

The year 2050. The world has been devastated by an apocolypse. Practically all life as we know it has ceased to exist, the machines rule the world now and nature has taken back what was once theirs. We exist now only in small communities -dotted around the planet, keeping our heads low, scavenging what we can, getting by in the cover of moonlight.

Alan Hutton can still be seen though, running up and down Villa Park most weeks.

It will never end.

Aston Villas Chuck Norris :D

On 15/02/2017 at 12:52, Stevo985 said:

If the problem with our right back is that he cannot cross the ball very well, then we're doing our attacking play all wrong.  He makes runs and gets into those positions - that's why he receives the ball so often.

Personally, I think he's fine defensively and we don't (tend to) concede many goals from the right.  The amount of hate he gets is a bit ridiculous.

52 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Personally, I think he's fine defensively and we don't (tend to) concede many goals from the right.  The amount of hate he gets is a bit ridiculous.

Agreed.

Barnsley scored from a penalty given away down the left. Getting behind the left and crossing it. Getting in behind the left, a foul, the resulting free kick wasn't cleared. If you apportioning blame, he gets some blame for the 3rd - though less than Amavi, Chester and Kodjia.

Ipswich scored from the right, but that was after Hutton came off. 

Forest scored from the centre, goalkeeping error. Cross from the right that was headed down. Hutton didn't play.

Brentford's first goal was played from inside left to centre. Second goal was cross from the left and Chester/Baker went for the same ball. Third was a ball played through the middle.

Preston's first as a counter from a free kick down the middle. Second was a cross from the right from a corner.

Wolves goal was a cross from the left and follow up in the middle.

Cardiff's goal was from a corner from the left.

In 2017 3 goals have come from the right hand side. 2 of which Hutton wasn't on the field for and the other from a corner when his job is specifically not to be on the right. Far, far too much is made of him overall. Crossing the ball, he's awful and don't think you'd find much argument from anyone. Defensively he's rarely a problem IMO. 

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 1

Â