Cats...

wiggyrichard

Love them or loathe them?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Love them or loathe them?

• Love, they're so cute & cuddly!
    • They're shite & should be considered vermin!

Sorry to hear that both.

VII - My Cat's are constantly eating birds, so are sick fairly regularly, maybe that could be the cause of his problem?

tony - 19 is a cracking age regardless of what happens, lets hope she lasts past Christmas though!

Love cats - got 2 rescue ones, mother and kitten (although now grown up). One was shot twice with an air rifle before we had her, and despite having a tough life, she's so affectionate now. Although I do feel a bit guilty that even though her name is Cleo, she answers to "Fatty".

Echo the above comments about birds/ frogs/ mice - always having to clear up either parts of dead things, or chase round the house like idiots after something that's still alive, whilst the cats sit there watching.

Sorry to hear that both.

VII - My Cat's are constantly eating birds, so are sick fairly regularly, maybe that could be the cause of his problem?

Mice with him. Rang vet , he staying in tonight just to make sure he 100 %. He could have come home tonight but would rather he stay 1 more night

6 Adorable Cat Behaviors with Shockingly Evil Explanations

There seem to be two kinds of people in the world: those who don't understand cats, and those who think cats are kind of douchebags.

Unfortunately for cat lovers, science has kind of come down on the side of that second group. Research has revealed that a lot of the quirky and even cute things your kitty does are actually signs that your cat is kind of a dick.

#6. Meowing to Imitate a Baby Human

Cats have many different ways of communicating, but the meow is every cat's go-to vocalization when it wants to tell us something; be it, "I'm hungry," "pay attention to me" or "I just took a dump, go clean it up." However, far from the one-dimensional barking sound that dogs use to communicate, cats are like living stereo equalizers that are able to fine tune the pitches and tones of their meows... so they can better manipulate you into doing what they want.

A recent study has shown that people subconsciously can tell the difference between a pleading or soliciting meow and a run of the mill, casual one just by listening to sound clips taken from different felines in different situations. The subjects said the soliciting sounds came across as more urgent and less pleasant than a normal meow, much like the cries a human baby makes when she's hungry.

In fact, further studies have proven that a cat's cry for food or attention shares a remarkable similarity in frequency to a baby's cry. It's not coincidence- it's pure, kitty evil genius.

Using their expertise in Soviet-style subliminal advertising, cats adjust their purrs and meows to include this frequency which then prompts their owners into responding to them more quickly. Like well trained animals ourselves, we respond because, not only is the sound annoying to us, but it also stimulates our natural instinct to immediately nurture anything that sounds like our offspring, even if it is covered in fur and named Mr. Bojangles.

#5. Leaving Their Poop Uncovered As An Insult

One of the major perks to owning a cat over, say, a dog or a horse, is that all cats instinctively drop their waste into neat little litter boxes, eliminating the need for frequent "walkies" and the palpable awkwardness that comes with the public use of pooper-scoopers and plastic baggies. Cats instinctively seek to bury their droppings, so it works out for everybody.

Contrary to popular assumptions though, this behavior doesn't come from Snowball's obsessive compulsive cleanliness, but rather an evolutionary holdover from before felines were domesticated and had more dangerous predators than the vacuum cleaner to worry about.

Burying the poop prevents detection by their enemies, but there's another layer to it, which is that they do it to avoid challenging the dominant cat of the group. It kind of makes sense, if burying the poop is a sign that they fear another, larger animal, then leaving it uncovered would be a pretty aggressive act. "No one here is bad enough to **** with me. Enjoy my shit."

So... what do you suppose it means when your cat doesn't bother to cover his poop?

Yep, some cats intentionally leave their crap uncovered or in conspicuous locations (such as on a doormat or in your sister's bed) in order to communicate to us that they are the dominant member of the household, and that this territory is theirs.

In the wacky world of feline politics, feces act as little, smelly flags that clearly dictate the boundaries of each cat's domain. In the wild, these flags are intended to be seen, and smelled, by other cats, a sign that this is the stomping grounds of a badass kitty.

When it comes to the shared domain with humans that domesticated cats enjoy, the same territorial rules still apply, so a housecat who leaves his waste out in the open is sending the message to us that he is El Presidente, and that we should be covering up our shit, so as not to offend him.

And guess what? We do. We helpfully flush away our poop and your cat probably thinks it's done entirely to avoid offending him. Yes, if you want to take back your house, it's time to poop in kitty's bed.

#4. Rubbing Against You to Declare Ownership

By nature cats are hard to read. They're not like dogs, hopping around with joy when you walk in the door, or slinking away with shame when caught eating the garbage. No, cats have mastered an expression of almost disdainful indifference that they seem to wear regardless of their mood.

However, as any spinster will tell you, a cat's affection is obvious when its purring and rubbing its face and body against your leg. It's like the animal is giving you a little kitty hug the only way it knows how!

The problem with that, though, is when cats rub up against their owners, it has nothing to do with affection at all, but instead is kitty's way of claiming you as its property.

Cats, like many other animals, are packed full of pheromone-oozing scent glands that are primarily used to communicate with other cats on such hot topics as identity, sexual availability and territorial ownership. The most active and important glands that a cat uses to send these messages are located on the tail, the side of the body and the face. Thus, when a cat rubs up against your legs or slides its face along your hand, it is engaging these glands in order to leave its unique scent on you.

That scent in turn communicates to any other animals in the vicinity that not only is it, say, female and horny, but that you, the human, belong to her. When a cat brushes against your legs, it's less a furry hug and more of a prison yard tattoo. One that reads, "Owned By: Mittens" and, "Single Siamese Female, 8, seeking uncut Tom for a romp in the alley."

#3. Imitating Snakes to Intimidate You

Anyone who has ever witnessed a visceral deathmatch between two angry cats is intimately aware of the blood curdling noises the cute little animals are able to create. Besides the demonically drawn out "Mrrrroww" that emanates from the very bowels of Hell itself, when a cat feels threatened, they always turn to the tried and true hiss.

Lots of animals make this noise when in the throes of battle, but why? Why is a sudden rush of moist air from such a small creature so frightening to other creatures that cats use it time and time again?

It turns out that when a cat pushes its ears down, bares its fangs, squints its slivered eyes and hisses, it closely resembles another animal that is naturally feared and avoided by most predators: the snake. And apparently the resemblance is completely intentional.

Cats, like many other animals, from butterflies to birds, instinctively employ the art of mimicry in order to best defend themselves from attack. Just like David Blaine in Las Vegas, a cornered cat relies on deception and misdirection in order to avoid being destroyed by its audience, and since most animals have a natural fear of venomous snakes, a sudden hiss accompanied by a spray of saliva coming from a head that resembles the shape of a python's will cause even the most determined and bloodthirsty hunter to think twice.

So the next time you piss off your kitty and it hisses at you, it's not just showing its disapproval. It's pretending to be something that can kill you.

#2. Obsessively Getting Rid of the Stench of Humans

Gee, cats are such clean animals, aren't they? Always licking their fur and grooming themselves. They must really care about being sanitary, clean-cut pets...

Hmmm... that's strange. Fluffy seems to groom himself a whole lot after you pet him. What, did you have some peanut butter on your fingers he has to get off? Maybe he's allergic to your touch and licking it makes him feel better?

No, he's most likely trying to get your stench off of him.

Cats have glands that are stimulated when they tug on their fur, that ooze their own scent. Licking the fur kicks those glands into high gear, making him smell more like himself and ridding him of the terrible, terrible stink of you. It'd be like if after every time you hugged your Mom, she immediately ran down the hall and took a shower.

Also, have you ever had a cat suddenly start peeing everywhere after you bring a new girl or guy home? Peeing on their clothes, or in the rooms they spend time in? It's sort of the same principle, its trying to erase all signs of his or her scent from the area.

#1. Bringing Home Dead Animals to Show You Suck at Hunting

Cats love murder. Mice, birds and exposed ankles often find themselves the unwitting prey of one of the few animal species on Earth that seemingly kills for fun. Thus, many a cat owner has also had the morbid pleasure of being presented with their pet's fresh kill. Fluffy will come home and drop the bleeding carcass of a bird on your shoe with an expectant look, as if you were going to gobble it up right then and there.

Why does she do it? Because Fluffy does expect you to gobble it up right then and there.

Most cat people will tell you that cats are instinctual hunters and even when they are satiated by last night's canned tuna, they will still take down a low flying sparrow if the opportunity presents itself, just for kicks. Then after successfully nabbing their quarry, the proud pet will then present it to the dominant group leader (her human owner) as a gift. While perfectly logical, that assumption is slightly incorrect and only half the story.

The dead bird, seemingly gift wrapped in ruffled feathers and crimson ribbon, isn't actually an offering to the owner at all, but more like a training exercise. See, cats teach their kittens and other dependent family members how to hunt and catch prey in gradual steps. When Fluffy dropped the corpse on your shoe, that was lesson number one in her teaching curriculum. She has noticed your appalling lack of hunting skills and inability to catch your own food, and is trying to teach you, as she would one of her kittens, how to feed yourself.

So instead of being appalled or grossed out the next time your cat brings you a fresh kill, eat up, and then prepare yourself for lesson two. That's where your formally cute kitten kombatant teaches you the importance of fatalities.

I, myself, love cats for their capacity for evil, not in spite of it...

• 1 year later...

My buddy of 17 years, Winston the cat is on his last legs  :(

It's very sad to see him progressively deteriorate...he was once an eating champion, now for the last few days, he hardly goes near his food bowl. He doesn't greet me at the door anymore because he's so hobbled.

So I'm preparing myself for the inevitable. If it gets to the point where he can't walk in a straight line or is just not getting up, I'll have him put down. No sense having him suffer.

You don't realize how attached you've become to the little critters until they are close to death. Sad days ahead.

:(

Little Bart is still hanging in there but arthritis is starting to creep in and i fear I will soon have the same decision to make

Saying that she made it upstairs this morning to wake me up at 5am so maybe she is just giving me subtle hints that her legs aren't gone yet

Edited by tonyh29

Had to have my sick Devon Rex put to sleep last February. I was a tad upset.

"No more pets" I announced.

Then my mother had a gig helping out Lichfield cat rescue, hand rearing five 2 day old kittens. Amazingly they all survived.

My sisters dachsund bit the toe off the ginger one as he put his foot through the cage. Of course we ended up with him and his sister :)

• Like 2

Evil, murderous vermin.

Have you ever seen a house cat attack or kill a child or indeed any human being?

Evil little things.

How are they evil? Terrorism/murderers are evil while cats are very loving beings if you show them any affection at all. Both comments above are so ill informed which is bordering on ignorance. 

As I said, I'm looking at getting a cat at the moment. for the owners, what's the best way of going about it? i'd rather a kitten.

I have a friend of a friend who works in a cats home who is looking out for new arrivals for me. But if that doesn't work out I'm interested in how to get one any other way.

Stevo you can go several ways on this. Keep calling with your local veterinarians who will be handed unwanted kittens on a regular basis. They will only be too glad to get a good home for a kitten. You can also go to rescue centres but sometimes their cats have been traumatised due to previous events and a traumatised cat can be very hard to re-home.

My best advice to you would be to get a female kitten which would give both you and the kitten plenty of time to get used to one another. One that has already been house trained (using the tray) would be ideal. Also never think for one minute that you will actually own the cat. Nope she will own you and you will become it's slave.

I know this due to having cats all of my life. They are very loving and whenever you do make your choice you won't regret it as you will have a friend for life as long as you treat your new friend with the same amount of respect as you would any friend.

Presently i have a Siamese and a short haired Persian and while both have their different personalities i love them as much as they love me. Just beautiful, caring and affectionate mini people rather than the term 'animals' which i always think is a mistake to describe them as that. They understand what you are saying but we can't understand how to communicate with them so who is the more intelligent species?

PM me if you need to know more. 

Edited by Morpheus
  • Like 1

Thanks mate. That's a pretty old post of mine though :)

The cat thing never happened as I now have a lodger it'll have to wait a while before I get any sort of pet.

Reading about people putting their animals down in here reminded me of the difference in culture that I encountered over in Spain when I was there. They do everything in their power to keep their cats and dogs alive at all costs for as long as they can. It's an interesting difference and I can see the merit and arguments for both sides of the coin.

My daughter's boyfriend's brother recently paid £150 to have his hamster cremated.

I hope you had a stern word with him, or atleast mocked him over his stupidity.

Everyone knows that's what the food recycle bin is for.

Edited by Shillzz

Reading about people putting their animals down in here reminded me of the difference in culture that I encountered over in Spain when I was there. They do everything in their power to keep their cats and dogs alive at all costs for as long as they can. It's an interesting difference and I can see the merit and arguments for both sides of the coin.

I wouldn't confidently say that in Spain they do things in the animals interest though.

For the purpose of this thread:  CATS RULE!

• Like 1

I wouldn't confidently say that in Spain they do things in the animals interest though.

As I said, I get the pros and cons. They try to keep their pet alive as long as they possibly can. Simple as that. Probably more expensive to do so too.

See, I would put my dog down without a second thought if I knew her final weeks/months would just be a painful deterioration.

But if she just got old, and things were getting creaky and hard for her, I couldn't put her down even if she was in a bit of pain. I would keep her around because, well, it's life, isn't it? It may be painful, creaky and shitty toward the end but it's best to cling on defiantly like a stubborn old git refusing to leave his house for a nursing home.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

This is the balancing act I find myself doing right now. It's hard to know how much pain he's in as opposed to him just getting old and creaky. His lack of interest in food is probably the biggest indicator that he's preparing himself for the big exit.

I'm having a veterinarian stop by on Monday to size him up. Hopefully he doesn't try to sell me on the $1K "Keep Him Alive Special"...

Â