Cats...

wiggyrichard

Love them or loathe them?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Love them or loathe them?

• Love, they're so cute & cuddly!
    • They're shite & should be considered vermin!

As I said, I'm looking at getting a cat at the moment. for the owners, what's the best way of going about it? i'd rather a kitten.

I have a friend of a friend who works in a cats home who is looking out for new arrivals for me. But if that doesn't work out I'm interested in how to get one any other way.

As I said, I'm looking at getting a cat at the moment. for the owners, what's the best way of going about it? i'd rather a kitten.

I have a friend of a friend who works in a cats home who is looking out for new arrivals for me. But if that doesn't work out I'm interested in how to get one any other way.

Your local RSPCA will have loads of rescued cats available - of course you never know what you're getting, genetics-wise. Itll cost you something (can't remember, 20 quid or so I think) for innoculation, neutering and micro-chipping.

Our first cat (Harry) we got from a friend whose own (really nice) cat was pregnant so we "ordered" a kitten from them - she had three, and we chose the liveliest one. He turned out to be the character of all time, lived to 16 and died in my arms. My favourite pet ever.

The second (Sophie) we got from the RSPCA, an adult (3 yrs) neutered female. She was good fun too, but after about three years simply disappeared one day. We never found any body on the roads, so we'll never know what happened.

The a few years ago we went back to the RSPCA intending to get an adult cat and came home with two kittens (Louis and Ella). Interestingly, they were slightly less sociable and cuddly with humans than our other cats - probably because they had each other for company. Sadly, Ella got run over last year, and it's taken Louis some time to cheer up - but he's getting more playful again now. The women of the house are exasperated that he clearly likes me loads more than them - greets me as a dog would when I get home, etc.

Despite the very busy main road outside our house we do have a big garden at the back, so we try and encourage them to stay on that side (with partial success, as you can see).

Fascinating animals - but you get back from them what you give.

Thanks Mike. Might try and find my closest RSPCA and pick one up if this friend doesn't come through.

Was wondering about the outside thing, a lot of sites say it's not a bad idea to just keep the cat as an "indoor" cat, but I can't see myself doing that, seems unfair.

I have a large garden which backs onto Sheldon COuntry Park, so hopefully that'll entice him/her enough to stay away from the Cov road.

Thanks Mike. Might try and find my closest RSPCA and pick one up if this friend doesn't come through.

Was wondering about the outside thing, a lot of sites say it's not a bad idea to just keep the cat as an "indoor" cat, but I can't see myself doing that, seems unfair.

I have a large garden which backs onto Sheldon COuntry Park, so hopefully that'll entice him/her enough to stay away from the Cov road.

I agree on the "house cat" thing. When I was a kid we lived in a flat and had just such a cat - who seemed happy enough, but I would never do it now. Apart from the fact that it just seems cruel, it'd be a logistical nightmare, making sure they didn't "escape".

So free to roam it is. Which means your cat WILL be at risk of getting lost/run down/attacked by dogs (and other cats!)/ill-treated by fuckwits, etc. You just have to accept that and be prepared for the worst - can be very upsetting, especially if you have kids.

They dont do much do they really. Just sort of sit around and eat or sleep and occasionally scratch you.
Not at all. Although it depends on the individual. We've had some real characters.

Of course, if you just ignore them, then sure, they'll ignore you - and who can blame them?

My ma and pa have had 3 cats, none of them liked being fussed, they were happier being left alone. Perhaps I just haven't found the right pussy yet

Cats all the way.

A cat and a dog were discussing life one day. The dog said, "I'm living with these creatures that feed me when I want to be fed, pet me when I want to be petted, and play with me when I want to play. They must be gods."

The cat then said, "Well, I live with these creatures that feed me, pet me, and play with me, too. I must be a god."

Â