The Arab Spring and "the War on Terror"

legov

Interesting little thread on South Korea's involvement in Afghanistan:

One of my Korean friends when I lived there had actually spent some time in Afghanistan on deployment; he didn't really like to talk about it so I never knew much of what he did there.

6 hours ago, a m ole said:

And the Taliban now have excellent military equipment donated by the US.

And a new ally in China.

And the opium trade, nothing has flourished like the opium trade.

Edited by sne

8 hours ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Sorry to be dull but one more vote for this from me. This is potentially the largest foreign policy setback for the West in many decades and will surely generate a lot of discussion on here. It doesn't really seem apt for that discussion to take place on a thread initially started to discuss a set of uprisings in an entirely different region 

Come on @blandy unlock it, and merge the relevant posts from here into it 😀

19 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I suspect some VT mods are deeply involved in UK Foreign Policy.

We’ve drawn a line on a map and the world will have to fall in line.

I looked at @Genie's  request. There are >60 posts directly mentioning Afghanistan in this thread, dating back 10 years. We could move them. But then there's all the replies, which would mean manually reading 225 pages of posts picking which are relevant and which not. Then there's all the posts that discuss the middle east and Pakistan and Afghanistan and Western actions and politics...

Sorry. It's not practical to unpick them all. it's easier for posters to just use the existing thread and not start new threads for things where a thread already exists.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

I looked at @Genie's  request. There are >60 posts directly mentioning Afghanistan in this thread, dating back 10 years. We could move them. But then there's all the replies, which would mean manually reading 225 pages of posts picking which are relevant and which not. Then there's all the posts that discuss the middle east and Pakistan and Afghanistan and Western actions and politics...

Sorry. It's not practical to unpick them all. it's easier for posters to just use the existing thread and not start new threads for things where a thread already exists.

Is a possible compromise changing the thread title to something like 'the Arab Spring and the War on Terror'?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Is a possible compromise changing the thread title to something like 'the Arab Spring and the War on Terror'?

But that's what it is called 🤪

• Haha 4

32 minutes ago, Genie said:

The airport currently under US control.

Several deaths being reported now.

From what I’ve read the Taliban accepted a large Financial inducement not to impede the US + int community evacuation. 

Having spent 20 years trying to get rid of us, it seems counterintuitive to try and keep us there now. 

For those with friends who jump out of planes, 2 Para are on the ground in Kabul to facilitate the UK part of Operation GTFO. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ml1dch said:

What EU position? It's not an EU-level competence. 

Different counties across Europe will hold the positions they feel appropriate regarding refugees, for good or ill.

What weird sources have told you otherwise?

You're of course right that this isn't an EU-level competence.

But we should look at what actual EU countries are doing, because we need to puncture any ideas that they may be behaving any more 'virtuously' than we are on this topic.

Eg:

Also worth noting that 7 EU countries - including Germany - were demanding the EU pressure the Afghan government to allow them to restart forced returns to Afghanistan *seven days ago*:

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

You're of course right that this isn't an EU-level competence.

But we should look at what actual EU countries are doing, because we need to puncture any ideas that they may be behaving any more 'virtuously' than we are on this topic.

Eg:

Also worth noting that 7 EU countries - including Germany - were demanding the EU pressure the Afghan government to allow them to restart forced returns to Afghanistan *seven days ago*:

The issue here is though, no one mentioned the EU here. I posted a tweet about the UK, and @colhint mentioned the EU as a means of deflecting any criticism towards the UK govt.

It's worked clearly as now there's no discussion on the UK handling, and only discussion on the EU's handling.

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's worked clearly as now there's no discussion on the UK handling, and only discussion on the EU's handling.

We can talk about more than one thing at a time. I'm more than happy to talk about our own government's inhumane actions on this issue, and the hypocrisy of Tory MPs grandstanding about the 'immorality' of leaving the country while they have no intention of doing the one thing that would actually help some real Afghan people.

But I'm also going to talk about the actions of other western countries too. Not going to apologise for that.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

It was less a comment on mod intransigence, more a comment on the UK not really even knowing where the place is after 200 years.

Incidentally, do you think Raab will have a sneaky Sunday evening peek at his inbox the day before he gets back off his holidays?

Just now, chrisp65 said:

It was less a comment on mod intransigence, more a comment on the UK not really even knowing where the place is after 200 years.

Incidentally, do you think Raab will have a sneaky Sunday evening peek at his inbox the day before he gets back off his holidays?

Yeah, I got that - I just quoted your post as it was the most recent one with context as to why the other thread stayed out of bounds.

I hadn't quite realised the significance of e mailed information

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Frantically Googling "what is Afghanistan and why does it matter"

They seem to have no end of rugs. Why do they not simply use them to fly out of the country?

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â