Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

I'd rather have Baker now as a CB than Barry at 17 as a CB. Barry was never a CB and that's why he didn't last in that position. 

I'd rather have Barry now at his age at CB than Baker let alone the 17 year old version.

Barry didn't stay there because he didn't want to play there and was too good a midfielder to do so but could easily have done.

• Like 1

Barry at 17 played alongside Southgate and Ugo, Nathan plays with Vlaar - of course he's going to look worse. That said, 17 years old Barry had more talent in his pinky than the current version of Baker. 

Vlaar is better than Ugo ever was, probably not as good as Southgate granted.

The midfield protecting our defence is Westwood, El Ahmadi and Delph, not Townsend and Taylor which probably matters more.

Agree with general point... Barry>Baker, just wanted to big up Ron.

Edited by Tomaszk

Barry at 17 played alongside Southgate and Ugo, Nathan plays with Vlaar - of course he's going to look worse. That said, 17 years old Barry had more talent in his pinky than the current version of Baker. 

The midfield protecting our defence is Westwood, El Ahmadi and Delph, not Townsend and Taylor which probably matters more.

notsureifserious.gif

notsureifserious.gif

X01bcAW.gif

Baker is a poor defender that shouldn't be in our first team.  The fact that he plays so much is because Lambert has failed to recruit better players and players in the positions we need them most.

I may be wrong but wasn't someone bought to play in that position? What's his name - I'm sure it's there - oh! yes Okore - but stupid Lambert played him and he got injured. We don't know for sure but perhaps Okore was meant to play where Baker players but needs must as they say  and No he couldn't go and get another one -apparently he has/had no money. Why buy another CB when Okore will be fit??

• Like 4

Baker sums up around 90% of our squad. Does his best and rarely gives less than 100% but is simply out of his depth.

I genuinely think that Lambert rates the lad. He started the season alongside Vlaar with both Clark and Okore on the bench and has regularly been picked ahead of Clark.

Baker is a poor defender that shouldn't be in our first team.  The fact that he plays so much is because Lambert has failed to recruit better players and players in the positions we need them most.

I may be wrong but wasn't someone bought to play in that position? What's his name - I'm sure it's there - oh! yes Okore - but stupid Lambert played him and he got injured. We don't know for sure but perhaps Okore was meant to play where Baker players but needs must as they say  and No he couldn't go and get another one -apparently he has/had no money. Why buy another CB when Okore will be fit??

As we saw it only took one injury to Okore or Vlaar and Baker was back in the team.  

Vlaar is injury prone and Okore is 21 years old with no experience in the premier league prior to joining us.

Why buy Helenius,Kozak and loan Holt when you could get cover for one of the chuckle brothers?

Why buy Helenius,Kozak and loan Holt when you could get cover for one of the chuckle brothers?

Helenius was bought early on in the window, Kozak on the last day of the transfer window when both Okore and Vlaar were fully fit and had 4 centre halves plus Donacien in reserve and Lowton capable of filling in. Holt was only loaned to compensate for Kozak's broken leg.

• Like 2

We had 2 centre halves: a very young player with no premier league experience in Okore and an injury prone Vlaar.

Add to that we had the chuckle brothers.

As for Lowton and Donacien filling in at centre back - please! 

We didn't have sufficient cover and the league table proves that as correct. Just look at how many we conceded.

Edited by Brumstopdogs

what did Clark do that was worse than Baker to make Baker first choice?

sleep with Lambert's wife?

I can't get past this either. Other than a few clangers, Clark on the whole looked far more assured and calm in defense this season, a big improvement over last year I thought. Baker had a good couple of games when he had a sustained run, but he should have been dropped after the Stoke game. I can't understand why Lambert persisted with Baker. It started to affect Vlaar and Bertrand's game too, in my opinion -- they had no confidence in him.

I want to be clear that I'm not making Baker the scapegoat here. I think he has some potential but I don't think he's good enough for this level, at least not yet. I'd like to see him loaned out for a season where he'll get regular first-team action and his mistakes won't cost us. It's not his fault that he got picked to start over and over again, even when he was badly struggling. What's the reason for persisting with Baker over Clark?

• Like 2

He's better than Clark. Bakers weakness is his inconsistency and his lack of ability to pass but I see potential to improve that I don't see in Clark. I think we should sell Clark. He can't pass, can't tackle, is slow and has poor awareness.

Edited by Kingfisher
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
Â