Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

And what?

After goalies, CBs peak the latest because there is a massive amount to learn. Just about all the best CBs in the world are pushing 30 because it takes that long to get good. The complete lack of patience with youngsters is starting to drive me mad.

• Like 1

And what?

After goalies, CBs peak the latest because there is a massive amount to learn. Just about all the best CBs in the world are pushing 30 because it takes that long to get good. The complete lack of patience with youngsters is starting to drive me mad.

However I'm sure all the best CBs were capable of passing the ball forwards to another player who is more then 5 yards away when they were 23.

• Like 1

And what?

However I'm sure all the best CBs were capable of passing the ball forwards to another player who is more then 5 yards away when they were 23.

Of course that is a fair criticism of him but there are aspects of his game which I think are encouraging.

And what?

More than 60 games for us and is still making the same mistakes again and again. We won't move on whilst we give far too many chances to average - money saving - youth.

• Like 1

And what?

You are right. But with Baker Im guessing that peak won't be high enough. Consider that Gareth Barry probably half a dozen seasons under his belt at that age - quite a few of them @ CB

GB was better no doubt but he also had the luxury of playing in a better side for most of those and learning alongside a few good CBs. Vlaar is a good role model and somebody to learn from but he's the only older head to help Baker.

Baker makes too many basic errors and doesn't appear to have improved over the last 2 seasons. His positional sense is poor - it's easy for strikers to find space around him and 9 times out of 10 his clearance headers land at the feet of the opposition. He reminds me of Ridgewell in that respect.

• Like 2

And what?

How many games do you allow him to keep making mistakes that lead directly to goals? He isn't good enough, even as back up.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I had a nightmare last night that Clark and Baker were playing together and we lost 14 - 0

Clark got shrugged off the ball like he were a pissed up pub player trying to emulate his hero Curtis Davies

Baker scored an OG picked up a head injury in the process and gave away a penalty with a scissor tackle that razor ruddock would have been proud of

Please sign another CB i want neither of these near the first team next season

Edited by AshVilla

And what?

Mind you, at his rate of progress, he should reach his peak around the age of 55.

• Like 3

I can't see what he is good at, other than being shit

To be fair to Nathan, what he is good at is putting his body on the line.  He's made some crucial interceptions/last ditch tackles over the past couple of seasons and seems to be "braver" than our other defenders.

However, he couples this with a rashness that often puts us in trouble and will also lead to him being sent off sooner rather than later (I especially hate the way he jumps into a lot of tackles).

If you combined both him and Clark, you'd have a really good defender.  I think they're both good enough as backup, certainly.  

I just cannot see what makes him a premier league player. Im sure a couple of us could do as well as he does. Put a shift in and make last ditch reckless tackles. Im sure we could come out we the proverbial head injury too!!

And what?

You are right. But with Baker Im guessing that peak won't be high enough. Consider that Gareth Barry probably half a dozen seasons under his belt at that age - quite a few of them @ CB

Gareth Barry was a better player at 17 than Baker is now.

• Like 3

Â