Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

Hope he's alright. I think it's coming to a point where he has a pretty extensive history of concussions and it's becoming unsafe for him.

To be completely honest, I don't know if it's right for him to continue playing.

He will continue getting concussions for smaller and smaller knocks now that he has a history of them.

Edited by Kwan

Yeah, for me that is the best trait in a defender. I love defenders like Baker but he can be very susceptible for mistakes and should not be playing regularly in the pl right now. Hope he gets well soon, but maybe this can open a door for donacien ?

I was listening to the radio at the point he got injured.

The commentator said

"One of the villa players is down with a head injury. Not sure who it is... I think it's Ciaran Clark"

To which I immediately thought "I bet it's Baker, not Clark"

alas, 5 seconds later

"It's not Clark, it's actually Nathan Baker who's down"

Hope he recovers soon.

And that nonsense about being a wimp is exactly that, nonsense. How dare he get knocked unconscious!

• Like 2

Concussions like this one are very dangerous, several ice hockey players who have recurring concussions need to retire due to them becoming very unstable emotionally and also start to lose short term memory, the players association in NHL went as far as to sue the league to stop hits to the head being allowed. Baker needs to change his style or retire, I'm afraid.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 1

It is true and it is no coincidence that he picks more of them up. Once you get a concussion, you are far more likely to get another one even if it's not that big of a knock.

And there's just going to be no way getting around using your head and putting your body on the line if you're a center half.

Concussions like this one are very dangerous, several ice hockey players who have recurring concussions need to retire due to them becoming very unstable emotionally and also start to lose short term memory, the players association in NHL went as far as to sue the league to stop hits to the head being allowed. Baker needs to change his style or retire, I'm afraid.

Or maybe he will start playing with a Cech-style helmet, if that's allowed for outfield players? Which I assume it is as Rooney was wearing that ridiculous head thing in that England game not long ago.

Obviously as a defender though you will have many aerial battles and the headers may not be the most accurate whilst wearing one.

I don't know what he does technically but it cannot be coincidence that he keeps getting the ball to the head.

For me baker has no real technical ablility, very much a sweeper kind of centre back. How he is playing in the Premier league is beyond me, really blagging it. To conclude though this has no negative bearing on him being one of us, I like him a hope he gets well soon.

For me. Baker is a reactive defender rather than a proactive one, he doesn't exactly read the game, just reacts to situations but struggles to defend on his feet.. Not entirely a bad thing, but at BPL level it can be a liability. This also explains why he throws himself into challenges so much, increasing his risk of injury.

Can't knock the guy's commitment and effort though.

• Like 1

BakerInjury.gif

I don't think there was much he could have done in this specific situation though.

True - but the thing that stands out there is he gets in front of 2 other players to block that. He will always go that extra yard for us, I love him for it but as I said a coupel of pages back he needs to maybe use his head a bit more in other ways so the blocks aren't with him leading head first (not talking about this specific situation but in general)

• Like 1

Â