The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

Please, please don't do this. There's no going back if you do, bridges can't be rebuit. All hope gone in one act, half empty stadiums for Randys tenure. Nobody wants empty stadiums- us or the board so make the correct decision. I urge you, for everyone involved... NO TO McLEISH

It is fair to say you will know more about running a business than i'll ever know

At the same time it's fair to say that i've forgotten more about football than you'll ever know

What you going to do next?

Paul Tait as chief scout?

Trevor Francis as club ambassador?

Robert Hopkins as assistant manager?

This is absolutely proposterous and completely ridiculous - sort it out!!!!

General Krulak,

Firstly where are you? Hiding by any chance? I actually will be surprised if you ever post again given the complete **** up your friend Randy and Faulkner have overseen this summer, I doubt you will have the brass neck to come on and try and defend it. After all it is indefensible.

You don't care about the fans, you are blatantly treating us with contempt, Randy is shutting his investment down and McLeish is part of a strategy to sell any of our valuable assets and for you to cut and run. Why else would you employ such an inept manager as McLeish? You are deluded if you think our disdain is purely based on his association with blues, it is taking them down twice (indefensible) and the dire football played along the way.

Finally you talk about the ethos and traditions of. Our great club. At this point I am compelled to remind you of the club motto "Prepared" I cannot think of a word more inappropriate to use to describe you and the rest of the current custodian of our club.

General,

I really do appreciate everything Randy Lerner has done for our club. He lifted the gloom following the final years under Ellis and has done a sterling job rebuilding the faith between the fans and the board.

His tenure has seen more highs than lows, unfortunately the lows, beginning with the sales of our best players, Barry, Milner (and soon to be Young) are overtaking the highs and coming more frequently.

I believe, that the appointment of McLeish will plummet the Villa back into the doldrums once again, losing many existing fans and certainly doing no favours in gaining new ones. The same could be said about our first team players - how many will want to stay and who would want to sign?

I don't care if McLeish is an ex-nose - if Mourinho/Wenger/Ferguson had managed small heath, i'd gladly welcome any of them to our club if they were available.

However, regardless of his previous employers (although this has to be seriously considered), his brand of football is one dimensional and uninspiring to be polite. His record in the premier league is poor, having been relegated twice in two and a half years.

Simply put - he is not good enough for Aston Villa, a solid top 8 team with aspirations to break into Europe.

I don't care if McLeish can tow the party line and say the right things - football isn't about that, it's about passion and getting the best from your team.

I have read the statement on the Official site, which is unclear and I would like to know (not asking you to name names) but are any other candidates being interviewed alongside McLeish?????

I don't envy you having to wade through these messages, many of which have become personal and bitter to say the least but I do hope you answer my question above.

Many thanks

Chris

Hi General,

Firstly I would like to say last week I wrote on this thread and said I would support whoever you brought in to manage Villa. However I was unaware that AM was actually on the list!!!!

I have been an avid fan since 1984 and consider myself as someone who loves the club more than my fiance (this has caused a few arguments in the past) and therefore like many other fans on this board I would like some answers as to why the board really think AM is fit to manage a massive club like Villa going forward. Is this seriously the best we can do after 2 weeks of searching?

At this moment in time I feel very let down by the spin the board have given us Villa fans over the past few months;

Faulkner - 'We are focused right now on trying to secure the best candidate who will complement the clubs commitment to being true to our heritage, competitiveness and passionate fan base. Does he know what he's talking about? When have Villa ever played football where we camp in our own half the whole game? How does AM represent this comment with his negative tactics? Look at AM's stats within the Prem? What is Mr Faulkners job role exactly?

General Krulak - Time and time again you have said how important us fans are. When I have read these comments in past threads it feels genuine and it makes me proud to be part of the Villa family. However I now feel that our comments, emotions, feelings towards this situation are being completely ignored. In actual fact it is obvious that thousands of your stakeholders who have an emotional connection with the club are making there feelings know. Are we really important? do we really have a voice? judging by the statement released tonight I felt there was an air of arrogance and that you was making a stance against those who do love the club. From our reaction the guy shouldnt even be interviewed.

I am hoping for the sake of 'our bright future' that the club reconsiders. I understand that finding the right candidate is now easy and you are going to get some fans that will oppose certain managers. However this this to me is as straight as it gets. Please don't be surprised if you see the attendances drop.

I really hope this is a smokescreen and I really hope that if you do appoint AM that he proves me wrong. I will add that due to his negative tactics and the liklehood of Villa fighting relegation next season that you offer him a one-year contract.

Also, another thing, Randy spent £24 million on Darren Bent. What was the point when he'll never see the ball.

I am here to be proved wrong!

Grievemeister

On facebook - people not wanting McLiesh is now at 13,725. There is a site supporting his arrival - that total is 3.

What more do you need to know. Why would Randy do this? This club has been poorly run for 12 months now, what happened?

General,

First let me state the amazing admiration I have for you. You have done this consultancy with Villa forums for a while and often in difficult situations and for that I would like to thank you.

Last year was the first year since I can remember that I had not had a season ticket. It was not due to club issues but due to finances. It was always my intention now in a better job to restart the season ticket this year.

Firstly I just want to say that I have genuinely been pleased with the calibre of names we have been linked with for the vacant Villa manager. There has been none that have brought about a negative reaction and plenty that have made me excited about the future. If press stories are true, I was particularly excited about Martinez but I can understand the decision to stay at Wigan and praise his integrity and sense of honour to Wigan

However, the contempt shown for the Villa fans with the approach for Alex Mcleish is unbelievable. In your previous statement you said that not all Villa fans may not like the manager but we have to do what is best for the club but to appoint a manager from our arch rivals who has been relegated twice is completely against the fans wishes. Can you imagine the backlash if Rangers tried to appoint Neil Lennon or if Celtic tried to appoint Ally Mccoist. I think you have to understand to us die hard Villa fans this is exactly the same.

He is highly unpopular and in a recent vital Villa poll got approximately 85/90% anger at this move. If it is true that the boards move is completely ignore the fans then as I fan I will consider my only action to not renew along with my 2 brothers.

I will still live and breathe Aston Villa, be devastated on the weekend when we lose, spring in my step when we win but I will not put money into the club the fans voice is heard and not ignored like some fly that can be eventually swatted away.

Regards

Dear General , Can you please let us know who the football people who are advising you are and how did you come to listen to them. i would suggest you find new ones. As appointing Mcliesh would be the worst possible choice

not because of who he has managed but because of how badly hw has done it

Yours M O'Neill season ticket holder 1990 to 2011

General,

A further question from me if I may?

If the club wanted a manager with Premier League experience and didn't mind if he had previous history of relegating club's, why didn't you seek the services of Avram Grant or Ian Holloway?

Grant took Chelsea to the Champions League final only for the only time in their history and only lost on penalties when his Captain unluckily slipped when taking his pen. Grant also took Portsmouth to the FA Cup final only to lose to his former Chelsea. He got relegated with Pompey because of the lack of funds that he had and the hardship that he suffered throughout his tenure there. You could also argue that he faced a really tough task of saving West Ham once your former foe and his cronies took over and kept the purse strings tight, as usual. He had unbelievable numbers of injuries too!

Holloway was only confined to relegation on the last day of the season when they had the difficult task of going to Old Trafford to try to become the first team to beat Man Utd on their home soil for the first time last season. He got a very unfashionable Blackpool side to the Premier League and gave some very tought times to a lot of teams. Not only that, he also did a mighty fine job of seeing off the big clubs that went calling for his star player. Something that has seemed impossible for the Villa management in the last 3 summers!

Either of these two guys would arguably have the same credentials of McCleish but would far less offend the fans due to the fact they would at least see some kind of exciting football without the negativity and without the affiliation to the dreaded BCFC.

Hey Charlie, was this not the guy who had Birmingham relegated after spending £40 million, alright he fluked a Carling Cup but at the cost of going down into the Championship, If you are going to hire this clown you’d be aswell taking Martin O’Neill back after all it was Randy who failed to back the best manager that Villa ever had and then foolishly threw money at Gerrard Houllier just to keep his team in the Premiership after Mr Houllier made such a mess of things, Ahhh Hello!!!!

Hi General,

It must be difficult at the moment for you reading these boards, so I just thought I'd offer some encouragement (of sorts).

Although AM would not be my ideal replacement, I support AVFC...and not the manager, the players etc (although good one's do help!).

I find it embarrassing that Randy and co get so much stick after all you've put into the club. Keep the faith. UTV.

PS. Appoint DM :)

Hi General, you should comment on this now that it is no longer just in the media.

There are nearly 14,000 people on Facebook alone against the potential signing of McLeish.

You don't need us to tell you that it would be a financial disaster to follow through with the appointment.

If you can't get Hughes or Moyes look at the Championship or recently promoted men. All of which would be cheaper and more supported than AM.

Lambert, Poyet, Rodgers, Warnock. Any of these would be better options. Don't tell me that McLeish is the only one who would take the Villa job?

Please don't patronise us by questioning our football knowledge as clearly your idea of Premiership Experience is relegation 2 out of 3 seasons.

I honestly can not believe that people high up in our club are even contemplating this unimaginable **** up.

And yes my football knowledge comes from more than just Football Manager, I live and breathe the sport and telling us that you need football knowledge to understand the running of a football club massively contradicts having Faulkner anywhere near the club.

general,

first time poster long time reader. I feel compelled to have my say amongst the anger/anguish that I read of others. I was a S ticket holder of 22 years but unfortunately due to me purchasing a property was required to give this up 2 seasons ago as a result of financial restrictions. However, my love for Villa has not subsided and I now find myself watching/listening to all games with as much passion as historically when in attendance at villa park..

I genuinely feel for Randy and the board over this particular search for a manager. You have heard who we want, and more loudly, who we DON'T want! Sometimes you can't do wrong for doing right but appointing AM will be a PR Nightmare! Who knows given time he may prove to be a shrewd choice but 'time' is the one thing that he won't be afforded! We are obliviously embarking on another period of transition where we try to find out (again) where we are, and where we can go ,so fans patience and good will is imperative if we are to get through this together! Does that mean Randy should give in to fans pressure, in my opinion 'NO'. However, it is not my money the club are relying on so I guess that has little significance but you need to be aware, and prepared, for the consequences if AM is employed! I heard a Villa fan on a talksport phone in this evening and the pure passion and disgust that was present in his voice took me a back and just made me more aware how precarious this appointment is! I hope for everyone's sake that the appointment you make turns out a success, after all is that not what we all want!? I just fear for Randy's future if the masses are proved right! I experienced years of my dads frustration and anger over Doug's reign at Villa before realising and embracing this myself. Although social media was available back then, and therefore this comparison may not be appropriate, but all this is bringing back unhappy memories! It took many years for Deadly's shadow to be lifted but the bad feeling has returned quicker than you could say Alec Mc.....

UPTV

PS: I will be back down Villa park as soon as money (and the Mrs :0)) permits!!!

Guest villantoby

Hi General,

Thanks for making my decision regarding renewing my season ticket so blindingly easy,

Good luck with all that will proceed this appointment. You don't quite know what you are about to do