The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

The General really can't win can he? Why can't he say that the goal is still to get into the top 4? Why wouldn't it be? If he said we want to finish top half he'd get chastised for not having ambition, 'what happened to the top 4?', 'what about the 5 year plan?', etc.

To all the currently between high profile Football management jobs pundits out there who continually make the simple assertion that 9th last season + Young and Downing out + Alex McLeish = definite lower finish, you need to get yourself into the real world and realise that nothing, especially Premier League Football is ever that simple. There are so many other aspects and factors to consider including team spirit and harmony which was quite obviously missing last season. The amount of negativity in this thread directed towards the General is shocking and is really not helping.

I realise the above is not within the rules of this thread so to the General I'll say, I'm really looking forward to this season. From everything I'm seeing and reading the players are excited to be working with McLeish and even from here I can see the amount of positivity around the squad at the moment. Fans should realise the importance of making the club solvent and self-sustaining and I think that the current re-work and new starting point has just the right blend of youth and experience to enable us to build effectively from here. Keep up the good work and I honestly believe we'll be fighting for the top 6 this season.

Hello General

Another basic question. When kids shirts can't have the sponsors logo on them because it's gambling/alcohol related or whatever, could we not just print their kits with the Acorns logo ?

It's strange to me as an adult, but apparently some kids don't want a kit if it has no sponsor on the front!

Surely it'd make more sense to publicise Acorns again than have nowt on the kits?

I don't know how feesible this is but i thought i'd just throw it out there after being asked by my nephew

Ulver

General it is reported that the club had to repay a loan of £15m on the 31 May 2011 - that has been done - was this where the Young money has been used and why the full money from Young and Downing is not available to the manager?

Was this loan one from the Lerner Trust?

Just in case you missed this amongst all the other stuff Gen.

Extremely difficult to finish higher than ninth, because we've failed to invest in the side whilst other, smaller clubs around us have done just that. Those are the views of our manager. And you expect us not to believe that the ambitions of the club have lowered?

General,

From AM's latest comments it really does seem that he's not going to be able to make any more signings after N'Zogbia, I think everyone (apart from the board worryingly enough!) can see that we need reinforcement in certain areas to replace key players we've lost since last season.

Is AM going to be allowed to strengthen the team beyond his soon to be 2 signings? Given the circumstances surrounding his move and all this talk of "action" it would make perfect sense to give him the best possible chance of succeeding.

It really baffles me how much you and Randy are missing the point on this and it does concern me your knowledge of football isn't that great.

Charles,

Will you still be a "fan" when you and Randy have walked off into the sunset after the club has been sold?

James

Oh and when are we going to hear from Randy exactly, yes it's good we have a pretty pub and mosaic but we as fans have a right to hear from him and know his intentions.

Without the fans the club doesn't exist, Randy should acknowledge this and update the people who really matter on what exactly is going on.

General,

Can you give an honest answer to the following question. Where has the 36 million ( approx ) we got for Downing and Ash gone? taking off the 3.5 mill on Given and likely 9.5 mill on NZogbia that should leave around 23 million.

Has this 23 mill paid for Bent and Makoun in the Jan transfer window? if so what happened to the Milner money?

Will the 23 mill left over from this windows incomings/out goings ( presuming NZogbia signs ) be put aside for McLeish to spend at a future date? ( seems highly unlikely given his recent comments about having to generate funds )

Or has this 23 mill gone to paying back one of the Lerner trust loans?

We deserve answers General and I think its about time we got some straight ones.

Regards

Mark

I've got to say General, if we only sign Given and N'Zogbia, having lost about 10 players since last season I will be a little disappointed. You quite clearly stated a couple of posts ago than Randy would back McLeish in the transfer market. Having raked in nearly £40m in sales and spending less than £15m in purchases, how exactly is that backing the manager?

You often say "when has Randy not backed his manager", well it seems like now...

General. Being a regular reader, I'm finding it fairly sickening to read some of the stuff on here directed at you and Randy. Occasionally, there's a voice of reason, but I hope you realise that this isn't necessarily representative of general fan opinion. Some people have very short memories, show an incredible lack of appreciation and totally simplistic views as to how a football club should be run. Yes we'd all like to spend £50m+ net each season, but the club has been run in the right way and it's ridiculous not to expect a level of financial control.

This forum is a great idea but sadly attracts extreme and disproportionate comment. Much as I've enjoyed your presence on the site, I would go so far as to say that if taints your view of the club and fans, it may be better to give yourself a break! How about focusing on attending supporter group consultations where it's more of a dialogue? Realise you're big enough to take it, but pleasing everyone is not going to happen.

Many fans continue to be grateful for the work you are doing and realise there are ups and downs.... a look down the road at our neighbours will show you how catastrophic the wrong owners can be. Thanks for your continuing efforts.

I'd also like to second the earlier excellent idea of 'acorns' on kids shirts.

General. Being a regular reader, I'm finding it fairly sickening to read some of the stuff on here directed at you and Randy. Occasionally, there's a voice of reason, but I hope you realise that this isn't necessarily representative of general fan opinion. Some people have very short memories, show an incredible lack of appreciation and totally simplistic views as to how a football club should be run. Yes we'd all like to spend £50m+ net each season, but the club has been run in the right way and it's ridiculous not to expect a level of financial control.

This forum is a great idea but sadly attracts extreme and disproportionate comment. Much as I've enjoyed your presence on the site, I would go so far as to say that if taints your view of the club and fans, it may be better to give yourself a break! How about focusing on attending supporter group consultations where it's more of a dialogue? Realise you're big enough to take it, but pleasing everyone is not going to happen.

Many fans continue to be grateful for the work you are doing and realise there are ups and downs.... a look down the road at our neighbours will show you how catastrophic the wrong owners can be. Thanks for your continuing efforts.

I'd also like to second the earlier excellent idea of 'acorns' on kids shirts.

THIS!

Unfortunately General the Internet can not be controlled and therefore we will get people coming onto this forum to air views when in reality they have no idea how a football club should be run. Keep up the good work and like TMHS says, I hope 'some' posters on this forum don't taint your view of club and fans.

Thanks General!!!!

General, you stated on here that Randy has always and will always back his manager.

Could you please explain to us then, as to why your manager has stated that he needs to sell to enable him to bring in anyone else?

Also, if your manager is telling you whats needed to enable us to have a good chance of finishing around sixth, then why are you not listening to his profesional opinion?

What message do you think, that tells him?

And another thing.

You stated that on the eveidence that you have seen, we will suprise a lot of people this season, and push for fourth.

Can i ask you, just how you have seen this evidence when you are stuck on the other side of the pond?

Are you relying on reports from Faulkner, a man whm has no Football experience, and whom on his own admittance says he knows very little about the game?

When will you and Randy be back in the UK, and for how long?

General

Understandable that the club want to operate with a certain amount of self sufficiency; but would I be right in saying that the proposed transfer spend (and aims of the club) have changed since Houllier's illness and subsequent departure?

During Houllier's period of illness he said himself that he was working on a number of transfers behind the scenes, and this was at a time when the club (apparently) didn't know that Young, Downing and Friedel were to be sold. Therefore, you can only conclude from this that the club were planning a net positive spend during the summer window and that the general aim was to strengthen the squad (unless ofcourse the club planned to sell Young and Downing, but we are told this is not the case). Yet it now seems that the aim has changed somewhat and that the actual plan was to bring wages back down to a sensible level, whilst also recuperating a net transfer windfall of more than £20m.

I stress that I completely understand the need for the club to run autonomously, but could you please at least acknowledge and explain the change in direction from the board? We've had our fill of passionate & motivational posts, we know the board want what is best for the club, but I think it's time for some spin-less honesty now please.

Thanks

I'm considerably underwhelmed if all we're doing is signing Given & Nzogbia :( Clearly the dream looks over, was nice whilke it last and perhaps had we had a bit more luck we'd have got 4th place. Ie, the season after we're 2 injury time minutes from being 8 pts clear of Arsenal, Liverpool suddenly imploded.

General, It is difficult to understand how signing just one outfield player will be enough to push for trophies even taking into account using Warnock & Ireland next season.

Do you think that the young players we have are good enough for the top 6 challenge taking into account injuries & suspensions?

General, you stated on here that Randy has always and will always back his manager.

Could you please explain to us then, as to why your manager has stated that he needs to sell to enable him to bring in anyone else?

This. Though I'd like to say, I feel the team are performing well so far preseason and the gaffer is seemingly well respected by the players. However, if we get shook by an injury to just 1 or 2 key players we will likely struggle in the premier league. Preseason can often be misleading.

No malice in this question, just curious what is the rest of the Downing and Young money been spent on? I say this because that was a hell of a lot of money for those two players. The sounds coming from the manager is that we have no money to spend, though clearly we have spent well under half of the Downing/Young money.

Also have we not freed up a lot of wages by losing big earners such as Sidwell, Reo Coker, John Carew, Robert Pires, potentially Carlos Cuellar, Brad Friedel and company? Not to mention Young & Downings wages, but I imagine those will go on N'Zogbia and Given. Has the wage bill not been lowered considerably in the past 1 and a half?

The manager has said today that is will be tough to beat the 9th place finish of last season, surely that means the gaffer does have some worries about the squad pushing for top 6/7 and distances us further from fourth, which you, a board member, feels is still a real possibility this season.

Anyway, lets hope for a bright 2011-2012 season and a little more luck on the injury front as we seemed to have little of that last season.

4. Relegation experience played ZERO role in the selection of a Manager. I hope that was a joke. As a Fan, my expectations for the coming season remain high. I see us as high as 4th place and no lower than 9th. I honestly think we will surprise people...I am pretty excited by what I see.

Compared to our manager:

"We finished ninth last season, can we better that?" he said. "It will be extremely difficult, given the way that every team has been gearing up.

"Sunderland have signed 10 players while Stoke City are linked with many players on extortionate transfer fees. I wouldn't want to shout from the rooftops that we will be competing for the top four. I'd be a fool."

Doesn't really sound like the Board and the manager are singing from the same hymn sheet does it?

I know which one sounds more realistic to me. We were told Randy always backs his manager. Well, that has been proven as wrong this transfer window and the club are sending mixed messages to the fans as to what direction the club is going.

If I want to know what is really going on at the club I think McLeish at leasts tells it like it is - no need for PR spin from him.