The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

Dear General,

Bringing through talented youth is an excellent policy moving forward, and any investments and improvements we can make to this end - be it improving our set-up or signing talented youngsters from abroad - must be seen as a great positive.

Relying upon and pressurising untested kids, however, is foolhardy, for the players and for the team. If you really believe that shedding 5 established first teamers - including 2 of our 3 most exciting players - and replacing them with 2 pros is not going to weaken the side then I fear you are naively optimistic. I might say the same about hoping for a top 4 finish with negative investment in the squad and the appointment of a manager with 2 relegations in the past 3 seasons.

I remain behind the board, but if you can't see that there is legitimate cause for concern at present then I worry a little.

UTV

I applaud your optimism Mr Krulak and its good to see someone from the board with this mindset.

However.

If you honestly think we can contest for 4th then quite frankly, your mad.

Lets just say that the following 3 teams finish top.

1. Man Utd

2. Chelsea

3. Man City

It really does not matter in which order. So in order for us to finish 4th we would then have to finish higher than Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs.

Do you honestly believe we can do this? You let go of 5 key first team players, our two best players, hire a manager with an appalling premiership record, buy 1 outfield player and you think we can actually improve?

You honestly think we will improve on last years finish by selling our best players?

Like I've said, I applaud your optimism but I genuinely think its very dangerous to have a man in such a high position at our club like yourself, who actually believes that the way to move forward is by doing what we have this summer.

I hope your the only one on our board who thinks that this is the best way to improve, because if you aren't, we are in deep deep trouble.

For what its worth, I appreciate what Randy has done for our club. He is indeed a great man. I do very much question how much you and Mr Lerner know about football (soccer) though.

6. Biffta: I am not really sure what more we can do to "bring good news"...especially when some of the "bad news" is generated by our own fans. We signed a solid keeper, our Manager has been positive in the press, we have had open training, we have won the only game we have played to date, we have indicated we are seeking to sign another key player....I am not sure what more we can do.

You have a bloody brass neck blaming us for generating bad news as you busily engage in what increasingly looks like a fire sale. I presume you are referring to the fan protests? I fail to see how genuine Villa fans exercising their right to protest is 'bad news' do you mean it makes the board look bad? Don't confuse the board with the wider club - you are not the same thing.

General, I'm glad you think we will finish no lower than 9th, however I think those words may come back to haunt you sooner rather than later - especially if you think 'one more key player' will be enough.

Maybe one big signing followed by another 2 squad players. Just maybe. I don't know how the board can expect the fans to accept that selling our arguably two best players will somehow benefit the team, looking at it that way the board should able to see why so many negative comments [justified or not] are posted here and other forums.

General,

You've written some questionable stuff on here before, but your last post is your biggest gaff yet.

To blame the fans is quite frankly an insult, and to defend the actions of OUR club the way you do is unbelievable.

After watching us struggle with the extra players we had last season that have now been sold, and with the lack of reinvestment back into the first team, do you seriously think we're capable of finishing in the top half of the table, let alone as high as fourth spot?

I don't care about a pub that I've never been inside, and a nice shiny mosaic, I'm only bothered about investment into OUR team that can produce results on the pitch.

4. Relegation experience played ZERO role in the selection of a Manager. I hope that was a joke. As a Fan, my expectations for the coming season remain high. I see us as high as 4th place and no lower than 9th. I honestly think we will surprise people...I am pretty excited by what I see

General that is an interesting phrase to use there.

Is that also the expectation of Randy and the Board ? No lower than 9th? Is the manager aware that is the target?

General,

When you asked us to imagine what it'd be like if Alex McLeish was backed by a chairman, did you say that knowing that there was no budget to buy players unless both Ashley Young and Stewart Downing was sold? Did you also know this when you told fans that there would be action in the next two weeks, when nothing happened?

I am surprised by the 50%-50% vote re. Randy...surprised and saddened. I am sorry that almost 50% of the Fans fail to appreciate what this man has done for OUR Club...in so many ways. I guess memories are short.

General,

I think there is an important distinction between stating that you disapprove of the way Mr. Lerner is running things at present and wanting him to sell up and move on. As I tried to explain in my own post on that particular thread, I have no wish to see Mr, Lerner depart, but I am seriously concerned about the perceived inconsistency and confusion surrounding our key decision-making this summer and, indeed, over the past twelve months. As such, I can't agree that the Club is currently being managed to the standard I believe it should be and I'm afraid this does add to the persistent feeling that a lack of football experience and knowledge in the boardroom is largely responsible for this. But like I said, I would much rather see Mr. Lerner put these things right than leave, and I like to think that he is still very much the right man to have in charge.

On another note, I would like to pass on my appreciation to the ticket office staff, and in particular a young man named Mark, who took a great deal of time on Saturday assisting me with my season ticket purchase. I have sat in the same couple of places for so long that I wanted to check out a few alternatives in different stands and he couldn't have been more patient or accomodating. Contrary to a lot of the negativity that remains around the Club, I am still looking forward to the coming season and believe we may yet surprise a few people, including our own supporters. Spending a couple of very enjoyable hours at the Club at the weekend have only fortified this belief so please pass on my thanks.

Regards.

Hi General

First of all I do appreciate you coming on here and talking to the fans and I hope it continues!

I think there are two main reasons why the fans attitude hasnt been as we'd all like it to be the last few months

Reason 1) We appoint Alex Mcleish - no real explanation as to why he was the single best realistic candidate for the job. Obviously you guys believe he is but the statement on the OS was full of hot air as Ive said before. I think frankly considering the reaction of the fans which you surely must have known would be mixed at best, I would have expected the club to come out and explain in depth how the decision was reached.

The appointment has taken place now, personally I think its a bad decision but I've been wrong before and am hoping I am this time too.

Reason 2) What appears (and I say appears as thats just way it seems) to be a lack of ambition in the transfer market. Considering the appointment I would have thought that Randy would have wanted to ensure our squad was as strong as possible in order to give AM the possible chance this season.

I understand 100% why we sold both Downing and Young and I do think we got good money for them. My mind set is that the money we recieved for them would be added to whatever we already had allocated for improving the squad?

We lost the above 2 key players along with Brad and also Reo Coker who could also be considered an important player for us. There were other departures from the squad too. Again my logic here would be that we need to replace Downing and Young and Brad. We have a lot of CM players with the likes of Bannan and Delph in addition to Petrov, Ireland and Makoun so replacing NRC directly isnt a priority I get that but there certainly are other areas we need to improve on.

I think Nzogbia will be a great signing if it goes through and as I said on a seperate thread id rather him to downing anyway so the fact we get him and 10 million is great.

I dont have any idea the ins and outs of running a football club but what I do know is that in the premier league its very easy to get left behind and I think thats what we're in danger of doing. I cant look at our squad and believe we're better or even on par with last season.

I understand that you dont want to be putting into an open forum our transfer plans but my post here is to simply explain why we're, or at least from my point of view a little concerned at the present time.

All the best.

General Krulak here:

1. ChristChurchVilla: No.

2. brumstopdogs: Because we are a better team.

3. Director of Football: I do not see us getting a Director of Football...we do not see a need for one.

4. villarocker: Top 4 is absolutely our goal...and I honestly think that we will do it. We will strengthen the squad again, everyone will be settled in and comfortable...we will be huge!

5. The North Stand/North End redevelopment is not on a racing time line. It will happen when we feel it is right to make happen. Current seating and new seating will be done with consultation with fans. We learned our lesson at Trinity Road.

Hi General,

Hope you are well.

I have quoted something that you posted in response to a question of mine from February this year.

My question asked you something about Houllier's comments about us being a team that he thought was capable of finishing anywhere between 8th & 12th. I asked what you thought of this comment as being has MON's remit seemed to be to get us into the top 4. I asked you whether we were going to take action in the summer to ensure that we would be back to having a go for top 4 next season (this coming season!). Your reply indicated that we would "strengthen the squad" and that we would be huge.

Do you honestly believe that our squad is now stronger than it was at the close of the last season? Even with losing two players who scored 14 of our 48 league goals last season and whom assisted in the scoring of 20 of the other 34 goals? I accept that we may now have a better 'keeper than the one we let go. Maybe N'Zogbia is equal to either of Downing or Young. But, we lost our defensive midfielder and our loanee right back on top of this.

Also, I ask you to PLEASE answer me this question. This is something that has been playing on the minds of quite a few Villa fans and I said I would ask you this question on their behalf as well as mine.

Our defence was poor last season and you stated that a lot went on behind the scenes that we - the fans - were unaware of, that Houllier had to contend with. It is well known that Warnock wasn't much liked by the previous manager. So, why is Warnock back in first team favour? And, if has you suggest, our current squad is good enough, why did we give first team experience and game time to Kyle Walker - a player for one of our rivals for a top 6 place - when we could have been playing one of our own players there? Surely if they are now good enough, they would have been good enough just a few months ago too?

Great signing, well done. 1 or 2 more genuine quality players, we'll do O.K next year. The squad needs vast improvement before we can challenge for 4th though, and I think you're shooting yourself in the foot by (however admirably) claiming you think we can do it at the moment.

Keep up the good work General, I believe once the season starts there will the a lot of humble pie to eat on here!!

Love the new kit, especially nice touch with the black socks, Proves once again Randy knows his history.

Any chance of a museum? I know this was part of the North Stand redevelopment, but if thats on the back burner then could we not do something else? We have such great history it's pity we can't all see it.

Oh and 43% of 200 odd fans that don't thing Randy is doing a good job is nothing to worry about, last time I looked we had 50k to 60k fans and although some of them would tend to agree with the 43% I would doubt its anything like that percentage.

General

That was a great reply to us fans last post you did respect to you bigtime, you seem the sort of guy I would defo like to get a drink or two at one of the home games whats your tipple?. I asked the question before regarding the club and looking into a potential of making great signings on the pitch aswell as being rewarded off the pitch with merchandise, I wont mention the name of the player in question but potentially there is a huge chance of making signings from different continents that would have huge impacts on the club, im already sure that the americans are following the Villa due to you guys being involved but there are markets such as Japan, and africa where certian players are huge. Im such you have all bases covered but it was just a thought. Ill be honest 6 wks ago I was down and out with the club but your determinstion in this thread has meant I respect you and randy a whole lot more.

All the best General

my expectations for the coming season remain high. I see us as high as 4th place and no lower than 9th. I honestly think we will surprise people...I am pretty excited by what I see.

General

Firstly I applaud and appreciate that you take the time to come on this site and communicate with the fans - thank you

Now the bad news - the idea that we can take a squad that struggled last year, combine them with a manager who saw his side relegated, sell our best players, and then imagine that said team can beat Arsenal, Tottenham and Liverpool to a CL spot is ludicrous! - realistically, the majority of fans (and newspaper pundits) would see us somewhere between 9th and 12th.

Randy has done a lot of good things for the club and I believe is in it for the long haul but it is only fair to point out that he has made some mistakes along the way. Towards the end, MON was allowed to waste far too much money (we are still feeling the pain of this now), GH was in the opinion of many the wrong choice and the appointment of AM was conducted in a sub-optimal manner.

As a fan I would just like to know what the plan is and I will get behind it!! I know Randy can't finance Man City type spending and I don't want Randy to try and sell to some rich shiek but I do want to know what we are trying to do - whats the plan for the next five years?

If it is to consolidate, prune the wage bill and then try again then fine - I get it. If the plan is too sensitive to expose then at least tell us that.

What we can't accept is that everything is great and we are in a position to challenge for 4th next season - General, if you are excited by what you see then you are in a very very small minority

Thank you again for taking the time to read my comments - UTV

Hello General

Thank you for outlining the Boards strategy for getting Top 4 as a minimum. You didn't give a timescale but lets say within 3 years ? that would be 8 years from when Randy took over.

The biggest issue in my view is the belief that youth players can play a significant role in this - and thereby alleviate the need for big spending.

It won't work - and the Board are either naive or negligent in having that as a key plank of the stated goal.

Only once in my memory has it worked, with Man Utds 'golden generation'.

Take Arsenal as an example. With a terrific Manager, 60,000 sell outs for home games, and a decade or more trying, Wenger has tried to do what you aspire to, without the result you seek.

The method you describe could be used by everybody, and certainly is used by many. The Clubs that get top 4 or more spend massively.

It is as simple as that.

Your goal makes sense, but not with that policy.

Or your policy makes sense, but not with that goal.

Therein lies all the unrest, in my view.

Would you not agree, given the brief examples I've mentioned, that Randy and the Club would be far far better off stating only the policy, with the rider, 'who knows how high it may take us' rather than the claim that we are definitively aiming for Top 4 or above ?

General

With regards the fantastic soccer schools the club run through the summer holidays. Is there any reason they don't have one in Walsall ?

Being a town just down the road from Villa, and with a good catchment area it's always puzzled me why we don't have one over this way

Ta

Ulver

General,

how will the club be able to put a stop to our best players wanting to leave to play CL football?

You see the Sky 4 plus Man City have it all wrapped up between them.

As soon as a club like Villa get to a position where they are threatening them with a fine squad of youngsters that have a chance of progressing and once they have progressed they will come knocking on the door and take them away.

In doing so break up the nucleus of the team and bingo! you have to start all over again.

So in esscence we will always be trying to be the best of the rest.

Please tell me and all of the other Villans out there how you and the board think you can ever stop this happening.

Thanks

General

Did you ever answer the comments about the promise that there would be lots of action?

As for hearing from Randy Lerner, I am past caring what he thinks about the future of our club. He obviously doesn't feel the fans of the club deserve any of his precious words, verbally or in writing.

Que sera, sera....

Oh by the way, based on the little we have heard from you, your comments remind me of the Dutch kid Peter with his finger in the dyke to prevent Holland flooding. I stlill believe Randy Lerner is planning to sell and that you are simply shoring up his investment by feeding us BS!

Come on, you are obviously a very intelligent bloke, do you seriously expect the fans to believe that we have a hope in hell of achieving 4th?