Houllier: Back him or sack him?

Stu_The_Villan

Houlier - back him or sack him?  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Houlier - back him or sack him?

• Back him - he needs more time
    • Sack him - we don't have time

Its taken this seasons debacle to show what a rotten regime MON had put in place. It was sub-standard at every level. Yes MON finished 6th, but should have done so much better, and his project was finished, redundant hence his departure. It remains to be seen whether GH is the right man, but he inherited a very poisoned chalice, and we should never judge a manager until the season's end.

We look more settled already, and with a few new faces wanting to play for the manager, I am sure we will see Houlliers team (rather than MON's) will finish with much promise for next season.

And your basing this on what?

Playing the same 11 players irrespective of form all season resulting in second half of season collapse; only ever having plan a "a"; refusing to use substitutes; not bothering to buy a right back for a year; playing RB's at LB, and centre backs at RB; having no scouting system to speak of; having no confidence in our youth system and thus refusing to invest in continuity; squandering resources bringing in second rate players on scandalous wages and not playing them; generally struggled in the transfer market; lost the dressing room (GH never had the dressing room as the lunatics were already running the asylum)..... and so much more.

This is not good management.

I will admit MON was the right man when he joined and credit is due for a wembley final, finishing 6th 3 times, buying Ash, Milner and Delph, always showing passion on the touchline and in interviews and generally respecting the fans, but he did not build an empire, he was an of-the-moment manager. He ran off like a coward - it was his bed and didn't fancy lying in it, says it all. I lost all respect for him after that.

You should post more often. Whether people agree with that or not, it's very succinct and well reasoned. FWIW, I agree with a lot of that; especially the bit in bold.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might have been in favour of sacking Houllier had the abject performances continued this year. However, they haven't. The players showed amazing fight against Chelsea and it was our poor defense which cost us the win. They didn't play too badly against Sunderland either, and we were unlucky not to get a point from that. They once again showed fight and passion today. In the last three games we've come back from behind to draw twice. Obviously the quality of our already existing players can't really improve much but the mentality has.

Playing the same 11 players irrespective of form all season resulting in second half of season collapse

Don't know how that effects houllier and shows a rotten regime, he made decisions that got success, others may have done things differently and houllier can.

only ever having plan a "a";

Again its something that worked for us most of the time and is something houllier can change, however under houllier we seem to start the game using the same formation every time.

not bothering to buy a right back for a year; playing RB's at LB, and centre backs at RB

You might not be impressed with it but last year only 3 teams let in less goals and only 3 teams lost less games than us, Houllier has had this at his disposal and again i fail to see how these players are evidence of a rotten regime.

having no scouting system to speak of

Didn't ISM talk about going around the world, i thought it was a case of MON choosing to buy mainly british players? Again its hardly a rotten regime, the players he signed who houllier has have proven they can compete at the top end of this league.

having no confidence in our youth system and thus refusing to invest in continuity

I think this season has shown that albrighton is the only real one ready to play on a regular basis. Again this hasn't left a rotten regime, these talented youngsters are still here and available to houllier.

squandering resources bringing in second rate players on scandalous wages and not playing them

Every manager in the world makes mistakes. I do agree that some of them were very poor. These players aren't playing though and houllier seems to be getting rid quite quickly. I don't think beye sitting around doing nothing is the reason for being where we are.

generally struggled in the transfer market

Well he bought a whole new squad which for 2 years put up a serious challenge for a top 4 place.

lost the dressing room

I don't know how you came to that conclusion.

MON had his bad points but i don't see how you can think we should have done so much better when you see the teams we were competing with up there. He has left a group of players who showed they can compete at the top level, he's left a group of youth players that people think are good enough to help us and he's left a small group of players that didn't play much last season and needed to be moved on.

We should have dropped this season, it was going to happen but there is no way we should have dropped this much.

I think since the Man City debacle things have certainly picked up in terms of the players showing a willingness to dig in and roll their sleeves up and this suggests to me they are coming round to working under Houllier and I also think the manager as changed the way he wants us to play to adapt to the situation we are in and the players we have. Obviously we are in a results business and results still aren't good but recent performances suggest that they will come especially if we get a little bit of luck which we also seem to be lacking.

I also think his early ventures in to the transfer market are positive ones. Walker looks an inspired bit of business and based on what I have seen of him so far I 'd like to see him signed permanently. The signing of Makoun also promises to be an excellent one and shows that despite our precarious league position that players of a good calibre are still happy to come here and the manager should be applauded for his role in that.

We will stay up. We are far too good to go down and now the lads are again it appears giving their all, as long as that continues, we'll finish well away from the drop zone.

As things stand today things are obviously still very much in the balance as far as the manager is concerned but there are certainly some positive signs and I'm sure we are all hopeful that can continue. If it doesn't well we all know what the ultimate consequence of that will be but I genuinely hope it doesn't come to that as that means results haven't improved and he as failed miserably and therefore we are all losers in that situation.

Big_John_10 I respect your views, and would be happy to debate all of what you raised but this is a Houllier post not MON. My views on MON won't alter and genuinely think it was time for change. But I'd rather look forward than back and I am sure you want GH to succeed as much as I do. He gets my support for now, and I am looking forward to remaining season.

I would make the point that as a club we seem to be doing a lot of dirty washing in public for some reason this season, which hasn't helped, the club have a PR problem which need sorting.

MON had his bad points

he's left a group of youth players that people think are good enough to help us

Agree with the first bit.

Second bit is just "LOL", he never even looked at the youth so stop trying to make out like he did us a favour by keeping them here.. he didn't care about them besides Delfouneso - fact even Albrighton and Bannan came out with this.

Its taken this seasons debacle to show what a rotten regime MON had put in place. It was sub-standard at every level. Yes MON finished 6th, but should have done so much better, and his project was finished, redundant hence his departure. It remains to be seen whether GH is the right man, but he inherited a very poisoned chalice, and we should never judge a manager until the season's end.

We look more settled already, and with a few new faces wanting to play for the manager, I am sure we will see Houlliers team (rather than MON's) will finish with much promise for next season.

And your basing this on what?

Playing the same 11 players irrespective of form all season resulting in second half of season collapse; only ever having plan a "a"; refusing to use substitutes; not bothering to buy a right back for a year; playing RB's at LB, and centre backs at RB; having no scouting system to speak of; having no confidence in our youth system and thus refusing to invest in continuity; squandering resources bringing in second rate players on scandalous wages and not playing them; generally struggled in the transfer market; lost the dressing room (GH never had the dressing room as the lunatics were already running the asylum)..... and so much more.

I will admit MON was the right man when he joined and credit is due for a wembley final, finishing 6th 3 times, buying Ash, Milner and Delph, always showing passion on the touchline and in interviews and generally respecting the fans, but he did not build an empire, he was an of-the-moment manager. He ran off like a coward - it was his bed and didn't fancy lying in it, says it all. I lost all respect for him after that.

Great Post Thunderball.

Can't see him being sacked now after the draw and just buying Makoun.

Agreed, Randy will continue to back Houllier. We may well have been a few points better off by now if we hadn't had a crippling injury list, and also if GH and our senior players had pulled in the same direction from his arrival.

There are signs that Mon's shadow and influence is finally beginning to recede and the signings of Walker and Makoun indicate that GH will make positive changes when he is able to.

I believe that we will stay in the Premiership (just!).

MON spent £100m+ and took a team that had finished 6th the season before he arrived to 6th.

What the hell? 6th-10th-16th is where we had finished, it doesn't take a genius to see where that was heading to before Randy/MON.

Well for me GH is slowly starting to get his message across..

The MON thing has obviously been done to death but for me he built his side, nearly achieved something but bit by bit alienated the squad to the point he knew what was coming so did one at the best time for him.... worst though possible for the club!

But as for GH i am very impressed thus far with his actions in the transfer market. Obviously there are no guarantees with Makoun but he does feel right for us somehow & as we all know we had an ongoing issue with Petrov's inability to last 90 mins etc.. Also very impressed with Walker on early signs.. So it's odd really .. i mean you can't blame GH for the ridiculous amount of injuries etc but you can for some badly thought out comments & actions re Liverpool etc... Neither can he help inheriting the squad he did of course & he is now doing something about it ..very well i might add!

So for me he has my backing back as things stand & we simply need a stroke of luck, & a couple of wins to finally start our season.... it's a fine line though!

I'm starting to take my finger off the panic button after today and give GH a chance, seems I just have to get used to the fact that this season is a write off and its a rebuilding job from GH which will take at least through the summer.

Quitter built a squad that wasn't sustainable and he got out while the going was good, hopefully GH will build a squad based out a mixture of our youth to last us a few years.

Be prepared for a mass clear out but I am starting to see some light, fair play RL for keeping his nerve because I didn't thats for sure

Bang on

I think, as a lot of people are begining to say, there is no sense in getting rid of him at this point in the season, I actually think that whatever issues we had between him and the players have been sorted, or are certainly better. They played as a team today, and I think, for the remainder of the season, we need to get right behind him, otherwise we could be doing more harm than good because there is no doubt that the team are affected when there is so much negativitiy.

Lets back the whole team and get the feel good factor back at VP. UTV

Well I'm resigned to GH staying, but I don't have to be happy about it.

It will take a lot of good performances and/or results before the end of the season to get me back on board, and I'm not going to accept that just about escaping relegation is good enough.

Which is where I am.

A draw against our neighbours today will not mask that ( a draw FFS !!) for me. Admittedly I expected a defeat but it does not change my opinion that this manager will not take us forward at all.

We are still in the shit and IMo will struggle to get out of it. No points from the next two and a new manager at Wet Spam and we could be bottom before Makoun makes his debut

Â