Houllier: Back him or sack him?

Stu_The_Villan

Houlier - back him or sack him?  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Houlier - back him or sack him?

• Back him - he needs more time
    • Sack him - we don't have time

When you look back, we were very comfortable against a gutsy team (I hate to give the sty dwellers credit). Our biggest problem, as highlighted today, is not is not creating chances but finishing them off. FFS Gabby in the first 2 minutes should have ripped the **** net off but blazed it over. You can't really blame GH for that.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All credit to GH today, MON would never have subbed Carew and NRC. The players gave 100% today for the team and manager and thats surely a good sign. The right sort of names are being mentioned as transfers, and with a decent striker we should be OK (Carew and Gabby were shocking today). The time to sack GH was Christmas if at all, but now its very much time to get behind him and he must stay until the seasons end whatever happens.

All credit to GH today, MON would never have subbed Carew and NRC. The players gave 100% today for the team and manager and thats surely a good sign. The right sort of names are being mentioned as transfers, and with a decent striker we should be OK (Carew and Gabby were shocking today). The time to sack GH was Christmas if at all, but now its very much time to get behind him and he must stay until the seasons end whatever happens.

Yep.

He may keep us up however its an absolute disgrace that we're in this mess in the first place. I will not view keeping us in the prem as some sort of success or evidence we will do well under him, i sense some will.

I agree with this. This is a wasted season other than one for assessing players and laying foundations for next season. I hate being in the bottom four, it's just so wrong. Good performance today though and there seems more togetherness now. More ins and outs though please with regards to transfers. I have no doubts that his job is safe for the rest of the season unless it goes tits up and we need a quick fix boost from another manager, a risky strategy.

This thread should be closed as it is now 16th Jan, so if we were to sack him we wouldnt have anyone in before transfer window closes. We have to back him and hope for the best, for now. Who else is out there at the moment anyway? Curbishley? Hughton? Grant? No thanks.

He may keep us up however its an absolute disgrace that we're in this mess in the first place. I will not view keeping us in the prem as some sort of success or evidence we will do well under him, i sense some will.
No one said staying up will be an achievement. However, he is not totally to blame for our situation.

If he plays Gabby on the wing again then he should go.
That's ridiculous. :|

you can be unlucky with injuries and inherit players that don't want to play for you or the club which I think GH has and thats not his fault.

Playing Gabby on the wing shows he doesn't know his players or squad at all. Fitting big names into the team to suit a formation is a sign he is not suited to managent at all.

And when GH watches the game back later, if he thinks it is OK to play Gabby on the wing again then he is a fool and should go.

you can be unlucky with injuries and inherit players that don't want to play for you or the club which I think GH has and thats not his fault.

Playing Gabby on the wing shows he doesn't know his players or squad at all. Fitting names into the team to suit a formation is a sign he is not suited to managent at all.

I would imagine he thinks that Gabby is a good player (hence new contract) but is struggling with confidence, so instead of having him as the main striker with all the pressure on him he is trying to utilise his pace and build his confidence up without the pressure. But yes, i would imagine you know better.

I'm not saying staying up would be a success but given that our previous manager (who's systems were ingrained at the club), left us a few days before the first game of the season and there were no decent managers immediately available before the end or the transfer window (i.e our new manager was always going to have to work with what he inherited), what would be counted as acceptable this season?

I'd say 10th when he first came in, 12th in our current position.

He will keep us up with a squad that was initially injury decimated low on confidence and very reluctant to change with some causing unrest and trouble. Also clearing out some of the dead wood and over paid average players and bring in some decent players like Makoun and Walker and implementing a scouting system that was an embarrassment, however some will see this as a complete failing and not see any positive just because we werent 6th again with apparently the exact circumstances.

Playing Gabby on the wing shows he doesn't know his players or squad at all. Fitting names into the team to suit a formation is a sign he is not suited to managent at all.

I can just imagine the conversation between Randy and Houllier. "Gerard, I'm sacking you because you kept on playing Agbonlahor on the wing".

:lol:

He will keep us up with a squad that was initially injury decimated low on confidence and very reluctant to change with some causing unrest and trouble. Also clearing out some of the dead wood and over paid average players and bring in some decent players like Makoun and Walker and implementing a scouting system that was an embarrassment, however some will see this as a complete failing and not see any positive just because we werent 6th again with apparently the exact circumstances.

This. Season is a write off. I dont like who we have in charge but i understand he is trying to change the culture at the club that was poisonous beforehand. He may not be the man to take us forward past this year but we will be in a better position in the summer, should we stay up IMO.

Â