Lionel Messi

AVFC-Prideofbrum

I have good taste in women. The one in the middle is even better looking then the SHA fan.

Are you actually joking?

No.

Well she' s better looking than the SHA fan, I'll give you that.

But no, your taste in women is not good. Unique, yes. But not good.

I wouldn't go near either of them.

Whatever floats your boat though :D

No, mate. It's not fussy.

The people in the lovely ladies thread who see a picture of, say, carmen Electra and say "oh she's too plastic" or see a picture of Isla Fischer and say "I don't like gingers".

THEY are fussy.

The woman in that picture is an absolute munter. If that's your game then fair enough. But it's your standards that are ridiculously low, not ours that are ridiculously high.

4 clasicos without a goal compared to Ronaldo 4 in 5.

Although valid point, it's also a point towards Messi that he's not a player you look down at if he doesn't score. He set up 3 goals in those games (aswell as big part in 3rd goal in league game at bernabou) and well was the main part in the goal for Barca at the weekend (committing 3 defenders) as well as well pass to Xavi which should have been finished. Fact is, Messi doesn't need to score goals to have a major impact on the game, the goals are just a part of his game which in my own opinion separates him from Ronaldo. Not to say if he scored 20, he'd be better because you can't look past what Ronaldo has done but I just think Messi doesn't rely on goals to be the best, it's not a goalscoring contest that is the difference between them.

I also believe that real madrid go out to stop messi more than barca stop ronaldo just because i think teams and real know if they can surround messi and try to stop him dictating the attacking play, they have a great chance of unsettling barca, where as barca play all to their own strengths that it's difficult to concentrate on single players when defending on counter attacks. although saturday, his touch just was completely off, he simply had an average game for his standards. the other games though, he's been fine and a key player in the wins.

I also believe that real madrid go out to stop messi more than barca stop ronaldo just because i think teams and real know if they can surround messi and try to stop him dictating the attacking play, they have a great chance of unsettling barca, where as barca play all to their own strengths that it's difficult to concentrate on single players when defending on counter attacks. although saturday, his touch just was completely off, he simply had an average game for his standards. the other games though, he's been fine and a key player in the wins.

I think this is key. Chelsea did it was well.

Obviously teams will target Messi as someone they have to stop, so th ebetter teams who do it are more successful of taking him out of the game.

Not saying teams don't do that to Ronaldo, but I think it happens less. of course, ROnaldo might just be better at dealing with it.

I quite liked a (pre-Barca-Chelsea) interview of a fair few Chelsea fans on the radio. "Do you think Messi will be a threat?" "No." "Lionel Messi, 3 time World Player of the Year will not be a threat!?" "He's never scored against us" :lol:

Rather blithe and was said in quite a brusque manner, but correct. What is it, 8 games against Chelsea without a goal? Even a penalty! I wonder if Chelsea have got his number, or Messi has it in his head they do?

I quite liked a (pre-Barca-Chelsea) interview of a fair few Chelsea fans on the radio. "Do you think Messi will be a threat?" "No." "Lionel Messi, 3 time World Player of the Year will not be a threat!?" "He's never scored against us" :lol:

Rather blithe and was said in quite a brusque manner, but correct. What is it, 8 games against Chelsea without a goal? Even a penalty! I wonder if Chelsea have got his number, or Messi has it in his head they do?

I think it's just one of those things, I guess people will say it's a mental thing but I mean twice he's just inches away from a goal. The one Cech tipped onto the post was perfectly bottom corner. I can see maybe a point towards the penalty being missed through to pressure, him wanting to well simply 'make sure' by putting it right top bin rather than maybe the more relaxed way he usually takes them but the two chances he had first half, remember, it's barely seconds by the time he see's the opportunity for goal and hits it. I don't see how not scoring vs chelsea before would have entered his mind at any point within those chances.

He wasn't at his best from a goalscoring point of view (which inevitably matters most) but having watched game back, he was still the one creating and upping the tempo but there lied Barca's problem, he was one of very few who was trying to do anything but pass the ball sideways across the box without any pace or purpose.

He'll be kicking himself for missing so many great chances, an inch here or there and he's launching Barca into the final with another leading display, or what happened, he's lost his form and cost Barcelona a place in the final, fine margains ay!

Anyway, he should be given a week off, I think he's played every minute since about September and has carried this team this season. Leave him out next game, 30 from bench after that, then start last couple games before the Copa Del ray final. Although I'm sure Messi will want to just play at the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
Â