Lionel Messi

AVFC-Prideofbrum

Fairy nuff. I havent been yet but some people on this message board, and some people I know said they sat on rotting wooden seats, and even though the stadium is big and grand, it is in need of a facelift, peeling paint, cracks in walls etc. And they said litter was everywhere.

I wasn't impressed when I went in the summer. To be fair though I just went to the museum and you get to go out and sit in the stadium for a bit. I bet it is great on a matchday. Much prefer VP though!

Maybe it is like the old wembley, grand old stadium with lots of history and prestige but needs to be done up a bit.

For architectural (sp) brilliance, the Allianz Arena is the best stadium I have been to. It is just a shame I was so bloody cold that day. Just my luck that I leave this city 11 days before they host the champions league final in May. :bang:

All of Messi's 234 goals.

When reading about Messi scoring a lot of chipped shots, it reminded me of issue one of The Blizzard, which includes a great interview with Dennis Bergkamp. In it, he explains that he used to attempt/score a lot of chips because, technically, he saw most of the space as being above and behind the goalkeeper, rather than to either side of him. Something to that effect, anyway - and I reckon that Messi's thinking is probably very similar. He's not the type to show boat, it's just not very 'Barcelona' to do so.

Also, regarding the Camp Nou, there is a plan for it to be renovated (and more seats added), although I think it's been delayed. Norman Foster and his group are undertaking the project - see here. Looks impressive, imo.

Saw this tweet on my timeline. Think it's fitting to put it here, hahahaha

spooge1873

@sidlowe Heskey (9 goals) is only 235 goals away from becoming Aston Villas all-time leading goal scorer. He's only 34 years old. Frightening.

Like it is gonna look anything like that. :lol:

Messi could get 1000 career goals by the end. Incredible.

If he uses Pelé's method of counting (ie, including goals scored in exhibition games, training, at school when he was a kid, when playing FIFA on the Playstation) then he is probably already there.

Regarding his chipping, he used to try them a lot a few years ago and failed a lot of the time.

Maybe he's just perfected it combined with keepers shitting themselves when he approaches and doing whatever they can to stop him resulting in leaving space behind them.

They don't go to ground as they know he will go around them so they try to make themselves big.

And then of course he must be overflowing with confidence which allows him to attempt what others wouldn't.

He also went a while this season where he was trying it and getting it wrong. I think they drew with Villareal and he had a couple of great one on ones and messed up at least one chip/lob and keepers in general were learning to stand up. I was thinking 'it's time to put that one back in the locker, son' but he's gone and just got better at it instead. The way his brain must be able to calculate angles at high speed is phenomenal. It's not just his finishing but all the other stuff he does as well.

Anyone else think Messi has just got a little bored and decided that "I want to score some chipped goals" so he has, next month he might go for scoring goals off the left post just because he can.

I remember Cruff saying that as a player he started trying to score penalties off the posts and cross bar in games they had already won just for the challenge.

It seems as though Messi can do anything he wants with the ball so I think someone should tell him "enough of the chips lad, we want your next 10 goals to be back heels"

Interestingly, Guardiola was interviewed at the weekend.

He was asked somethign like "Some people are saying Messi is too elaborate sometimes and showboats, what do you think?"

And his reply was a categorical denial.

He said that if there's anyone in football that doesn't showboat it's Messi. Whatever he does it's because he thinks it's the most effective way to do it. If he lobs the keeper, that's because in his eyes that's the most likely way he's going to score in that situation.

I'm inclined to believe him too

Me too. When I've seen Messi play and score, which these days seems to mean the same thing, he just seem to put the ball where the biggest possibility for it to reach the net is. For a striker he has the perfect mix of great technical skills and the right mentality. He seems to always look at the goal instead of the keeper and has the technique to score however he wants. I haven't seen as much of him as I think you all have, but if there's one tiny thing I could criticise him on is that he never seems to score from distance. And by that I mean 25-30 yards screamers in the top corner. I might be wrong on that one, though, and even if I'm right it really doesn't take anything away from his greatness.

You're not really wrong but I think it's a club mentality. You don't see Barcelona often just try their luck from outside the box. When you keep the ball for so long and have players with such brilliant control over a football, then they are best to work the ball into better shooting opportunities rather than try to score from distance which a lot of the time, isn't going to end well.

He has scored goals from distance in the past, Champions League final for starters.

go to about 2.30 for the actual 'screamers' of course he has the ability to score from distance and there are definitely moments when he could take the shot on rather than dribble, look for a through ball but sometimes I think it's just a mentality he and Barcelona has that over time, that through ball, that extra touch /dribble will be more effective on more occasions than hitting the shot. If Messi starts shooting more, he'll also start to become more wasteful, times when instead of shooting, he could pass the ball wide and then go and get the next ball and score. For every great goal he could score, most likely the other 7/8, he'll have wasted possession in dangerous areas.

• 2 weeks later...
Â