Lionel Messi

AVFC-Prideofbrum

Barcelona defend Lionel Messi over Royston Drenthe racism accusations

Barcelona have leapt to the defence of Lionel Messi after he was accused of racially abusing Royston Drenthe during the on-loan Everton midfielder's time in Spain.

Drenthe, who is spending the season at Goodison Park on a temporary deal from Real Madrid, claimed in Holland's Helden magazine that he was taunted by the Argentina international when they met in the Primera Division.

"I played against him many times and we always have problems with each other," Drenthe said.

"You know what bothers me so? That tone with which he always says, 'negro, negro'. I understand that negro in South America is very common, but we cannot stand it.

"Mahamadou Diarra, my team-mate at Real, could explode if 'negro' was aimed at him. The Argentinean Gabriel Heinze and Gonzalo Higuain said it initially on the training ground, but they were stopped.

"When Hércules played Barcelona, during the game I had a small altercation with him. He gave me a hand in the match and again said a few times, 'hola negro'."

But Barca today insisted the accusations were "well wide of the mark".

When quizzed on the issue, a Barca spokesman said: "The player has always shown a maximum respect and sportsmanship towards his rivals, something which has been recognised by his fellow professionals many times, and we are sure that any accusations to the contrary are well wide of the mark.

"His behaviour throughout his career has always been exemplary."

Not saying he is guilty but never gets noticed but he can be very petulant like kicking a ball at Real Madrid fans or mock clapping Coentrao.

Dont know why took Drenthe so long with accusations if it is true

• 1 month later...

Well his season finished the other day, good to see him with some great performances for Argentina in last two games. Finished with 82 goals and 34 assists in 69 games for club and country this season.

Just wondering what do you think of Ballon D'Or for 2012? I know it's early yet but I saw on one bookmakers that Ronaldo is favourite, on another Messi is favourite. Surprised me a little?

Has he moved any steps closer to best ever player or should that question only ever come back up in say 5 years towards the end of his best years.

How do you think he'll do next season? He can't go past his goals tally that's for sure.

Oh and he is becoming a father it seems, to a little boy. Who will probably always be little.

How do you think he'll do next season? He can't go past his goals tally that's for sure.

It's not "for sure" at all. If he stays fit all season then he could beat it! It would be crazy if he did though but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Well his season finished the other day, good to see him with some great performances for Argentina in last two games. Finished with 82 goals and 34 assists in 69 games for club and country this season.

If I did that on FIFA then I'd probably have to turn the game off on the grounds that it was too unrealistic. :lol:

Oh and he is becoming a father it seems, to a little boy. Who will probably always be little.

Didn't Messi have some sort of hormone deficiency when he was a kid which caused him to be short?

Perhaps his son will just grow normally?

He can't keep playing 69 games a season or it could have a detrimental effect on his long term career. Hopfully Tito will rest him a bit as surely 50 in 50 is better for 10 years then 80 a season for 3 years and then a crash and burn.

Also, the Villa and Pedro injuries added to the fact they'd lost the league and basically played for his stats the last 4 games no doubt helped.

Incredible achievement though

Â