Lionel Messi

AVFC-Prideofbrum

It's all set up for him to have a stormer in Brazil. Of course things can go wrong, he could pick up an injury, but fingers crossed he'll drag them to the trophy like Maradona did

Agreed.

Will be great if its a Brazil - Argentina final. Messi v Neymar

Although Brazil overall team is stronger than the Argie's IMO..But not by much.

Hulk,Neymar,Sandro,Silva,Marcelo,Ganso,Damiao,Oscar,Moura,Willian etc..

I have no problem with people thinking Maradonna is better than Messi.

But when it's based off that particular argument it really pisses me off.

Agreed.

Similarly, when people say if Messi does x then there will be 'no more debates' is equally silly.

I have no problem with people thinking Maradonna is better than Messi.

But when it's based off that particular argument it really pisses me off.

I agree. Now I think Maradona was better (indeed was the greatest ever), but I think Messi has plenty of time to overtake him. I personally would use the world cup argument to enhance Maradona's legend, not to create it. As unbelievable as he was, he also dragged them to a WC.

• 1 month later...

I still think muller is better. The fact you could cripple a player and not get a card when muller was playing, if messi was playing back then he would just get wiped out when he got the ball.

Saying Messi needs to win the world cup to be the GOAT is like saying Federer needs to win the Olympics singles

I don't quite understand this because the Olympics has never been particularly prestigious in tennis whereas the World Cup has generally being considered the pinnacle of football.

Invariably the truly great players make their mark at world cups, yes there are exceptions but it's kind of funny how pretty much any objective top 10 list of all time greats will mostly have players that starred in a world cup.

The Rev is 100% spot on that Messi has a glaring gap on his CV, he really needs to if not win a world cup, then at least be the player of the tournament in 2014. So far he has been poor, in the last one he was pretty much marked out of it, something that Maradona was able to cope with in 86 (remember the famous image of him surrounded by like 5 Belgium players?).

The think 2014 is prime for Messi to go and light up the tournament. If he fails to deliver then I think it'll be quite revealing of his standing with respect to Maradona.

Using the World Cup argument is just a bit silly to me, Argentina have a bit of a mess of a team, full of wingers, strikers and attacking midfielders. A bunch of big names that haven't ever really clicked.

The Argentina sides of 86 and 90 were hardly great teams either, better balanced perhaps but they didn't have the sort of talent at their disposal which they've had for the last 6 years.

Really? Defenders could kick the shit out of forwards with impunity back then. It was only really in the late 1990s that thuggish defending got clamped down on and it has only really been the past five or six years where the art of the 'reducer' has been all but removed of the game. That has hugely benefited attacking play. It's good for the game, but it doesnt mean that everybody today is suddenly brilliant. Messi would have been less effective if he had been afforded as little protection as, say, Marco Van Basten.

Yep spot on again, Maradona used to get the absolute shit kicked out of him, Messi really only gets a couple of taps on the ankles and then goes down like a train hit him.

Again like iv'e said pages back, its all based on opinion.

There is no right answer, Pangloss thinks Maradona is better than Messi that thats is own personal opinion, whereas I believe Messi is the greatest player ever and is still only 25. So there is more to come.

There is no right or wrong answer here.

Â