Lionel Messi

AVFC-Prideofbrum

The thing about lobs is if they're done right they're impossible to save. Anything else gives the keeper a small chance to save it if his positioning or agility is excellent. But if he has chosen a postition and the lob is right then he can't decide to just jump up and catch it. He's beaten, end of. Plus they're damn hard to get right. Otherwise everyone would be at it.

Just incredible.

Lionel Messi has scored as many goals in his last 7 games as Fernando Torres (3 in 36), Andy Carroll (5 in 31) and Luis Suarez (10 in 36) have in a combined 103 league matches.

Anyone else think Messi has just got a little bored and decided that "I want to score some chipped goals" so he has, next month he might go for scoring goals off the left post just because he can.

I remember Cruff saying that as a player he started trying to score penalties off the posts and cross bar in games they had already won just for the challenge.

It seems as though Messi can do anything he wants with the ball so I think someone should tell him "enough of the chips lad, we want your next 10 goals to be back heels"

Anyone else think Messi has just got a little bored and decided that "I want to score some chipped goals" so he has, next month he might go for scoring goals off the left post just because he can.

I remember Cruff saying that as a player he started trying to score penalties off the posts and cross bar in games they had already won just for the challenge.

It seems as though Messi can do anything he wants with the ball so I think someone should tell him "enough of the chips lad, we want your next 10 goals to be back heels"

Interestingly, Guardiola was interviewed at the weekend.

He was asked somethign like "Some people are saying Messi is too elaborate sometimes and showboats, what do you think?"

And his reply was a categorical denial.

He said that if there's anyone in football that doesn't showboat it's Messi. Whatever he does it's because he thinks it's the most effective way to do it. If he lobs the keeper, that's because in his eyes that's the most likely way he's going to score in that situation.

I'm inclined to believe him too

So am I actually.

However for some reason Messi has started chipping keepers in recent weeks.

I guess it could be because keepers approach to trying to deal with him has changed, ie coming out to meet him earlier. Or it could be he is just doing it for shits and giggles.

Who knows, if it is the later though its not likely they would admit it.

Interestingly, Guardiola was interviewed at the weekend.

He was asked somethign like "Some people are saying Messi is too elaborate sometimes and showboats, what do you think?"

And his reply was a categorical denial.

He said that if there's anyone in football that doesn't showboat it's Messi. Whatever he does it's because he thinks it's the most effective way to do it. If he lobs the keeper, that's because in his eyes that's the most likely way he's going to score in that situation.

Me too. When I've seen Messi play and score, which these days seems to mean the same thing, he just seem to put the ball where the biggest possibility for it to reach the net is. For a striker he has the perfect mix of great technical skills and the right mentality. He seems to always look at the goal instead of the keeper and has the technique to score however he wants. I haven't seen as much of him as I think you all have, but if there's one tiny thing I could criticise him on is that he never seems to score from distance. And by that I mean 25-30 yards screamers in the top corner. I might be wrong on that one, though, and even if I'm right it really doesn't take anything away from his greatness.

I guess it could be because keepers approach to trying to deal with him has changed, ie coming out to meet him earlier. Or it could be he is just doing it for shits and giggles.

Definitely the former. His job is to score and win games. He's doing it at ridiculous regularity. There's no answer to a lob. Until keepers find ways to defy gravity then I think he'll continue to do that unless they stay rooted to their goal-line - thereby exposing more of the goal to him. I think the only solution is an 8-foot keeper with novelty goalie gloves.

Definitely the former. His job is to score and win games. He's doing it at ridiculous regularity. There's no answer to a lob. Until keepers find ways to defy gravity then I think he'll continue to do that unless they stay rooted to their goal-line - thereby exposing more of the goal to him. I think the only solution is an 8-foot keeper with novelty goalie gloves.

Agree with all that although I have to admit I'd quite like it to be just for shits and giggles.

I've never ever seen any player execute the lob like Messi it is unreal that he can do it time and time again and from such close range.

Agree with all that although I have to admit I'd quite like it to be just for shits and giggles.

I respectfully disagree with the above and here's why. Messi is fundamentally a likeable player and I actually think it would take away from the almost innocent abandon with which he plays the game if he was scoring goals in a manner designed to intentionally embarrass his opponent rather than it just being the most effective means of scoring. That's what I think Guardiola was denying earlier. There would be a kind of nastiness or meanness to the shits and giggles approach. So I'd prefer if it wasn't the case (and I don't think for a second that it is).

I see where you are coming from and a part of me agrees, there is nothing enjoyable in seeing a professional sports person intentionally humiliated. That is one of the reasons that I never much liked Ali despite his greatness.

I wouldn't want Messi to be doing it to embarrass players but I would enjoy the arrogance of a player who knows he is good enough to score in the manner of his choosing. That is a level of brilliance that few, very few players who ever walk the face of the earth are capable of and I think Messi is capable of doing this if he wished.

I guess Mario Ballotelli is an example of a player who would try and score a particular way for the fun of it, such as the shoulder goal or the failed attempt at the back heal.

I don't actually think he is, he doesn't seem to be the sort but other players with his ability certainly would just to rub it in but I guess when you really are the best you don't need to try and prove it. As I mentioned previously though even if he was doing this Guardiola wouldn't admit it.

Well that's different and I think Messi is choosing this type of finish from his extensive repertoire, but again only because it is the most effective way of scoring and he happens to be able to do it. Something I haven't seen anyone else do with the regularity that he does.

As for Guardiola admitting to it. I think if Messi was trying to embarrass opponents then that personality trait would be a part of other aspects of his game too, but they aren't there, hence my 'innocent abandon' remark. I think it's simply a case that someone at the top of his game is scoring with ease in a manner that no-one else can emulate.

Trent, it isn't too late yet, still got a couple more tries at it.

Btw, just played PES restricting myself to just being Messi just for fun. What a joy! Scored 4 goals in a 10 minute match, 2 of them chips too :lol:.

Between Pelé and Maradonna, only 1 World cup winners medal was ever won outside of Central/South America, Brazil 2014 is Messi's big chance to cement his place as the greatest ever.

Just got back from the game. Nice to see him break the record, thrilling game too. All football fans should go to the nou camp at least once.

I have heard from many sources it is actually a s**thole. And very dirty.

Â