Andreas Weimann

Adam2003

He's on around £11k, doubt he will sign a new contract if we only offer him a 4k rise..

Sorry where did you read that. My understanding is that he's on 15k and has been offered 20k

What is your understanding based on, out of interest?

Edited by PatrickCousens

He's on around £11k, doubt he will sign a new contract if we only offer him a 4k rise..

Sorry where did you read that. My understanding is that he's on 15k and has been offered 20k

What is your understanding based on, out of interest?

I think all our talk of players' salaries is guesswork based on rumour and often conflicting media/internet 'fact'.

He's been ok overall, great in some games anonymous in others

We have to keep perspective for a team that ended 16th

I totally and utterly agree with that. Hence my opinion regarding the westwoods etc.

However, to say Weimann has just been ok is frightening. He runs through brick walls, scores some outstanding goals, creates, shows a level of passion for the cause Ive never seen before. He has been much much better than ok.

Similar to saying that westwood has been poor then eh? ;)

On topic, nothing has happened yet. Good or bad. People need to calm down. I dread to think what meltdown will occur if he doesn't sign.

EDIT: And before you say anything, you brought Westwood into this first. Not obsessed with putting him down though are you ;)

Edited by StefanAVFC

when thinking about what is the appropriate way to deal with this contract negotiation with andi, i remembered brendan rodgers' quotes around raheem sterling at the end of last year, where he said:

"I think it is important for the club that we sign our young talents but I think it is even more important for Raheem," Rodgers said. "This is a club that is going to give young players an opportunity. He has played more games than he could have dreamed of this season, both in the Premier League and the Europa League. Liverpool Football Club has given him the chance to become a full international player. So, I would think if I am Raheem Sterling and his agents, I would look to tie it up very quickly."

Despite the current impasse, Rodgers remains confident Sterling will commit to a new deal at Anfield. But he has warned it is premature to be making excessive demands of Liverpool.

The Liverpool manager added: "This contract won't be the biggest contract of his life. It is when he actually achieves something. What he has shown just now is fantastic potential. His next contract and the one after that [will be the big ones]. But this is Liverpool Football Club. If you are 17 years of age and you are playing regularly you would be very foolish not to commit yourself very quickly. I am confident it is something that will be sorted out very soon."

I thought at the time that these were very wise words. I know that Andi is not 17, and this is not his first professional contract, but he is signing it after having made a big impact, much like Sterling had at the time...

What he needs to do is step back and look at the big picture - Will Villa offer him the first team football in a structure that shopwindows him into the full Austrian national team...

remember, moving to a new team on big wages comes with a level of expectations from fans and the media that demands instant gratification... he needs to weigh that fact against the increased sages he's going to get.... particularly if thats a team that may well be in a similar position to villa - capable of good runs, but also just as capable of being in the relegation positions...

if he were to look at the sort of teams that are likely to come in for him now, I think that actually staying with us, in our form, with a clearly defined role in an exciting front three would be very attractive relative to any financial gain....

if he backs himself the financial rewards will come and in spades....

Latest reports are were having to fend of interest from the likes of Sunderland, Norwich and Newcastle

If we can't keep our best players from going to similar clubs in terms of league position what is the point in trying to compete?

Weimann is worth 30 - 40k a week he's an integral part of the side. Who can blame him for holding out for a bigger wage when you have players like Ireland sat on 60 - 80k a week doing sweet FA to earn it while he grafts week in week out

Don't get me wrong I would not pay him more than 40k a week he's not at the same level as a Benteke but he is one of the best players in our side and if we are to progress as a club we need to keep our best players.

With the increased TV money and more deadwood shifted off the wage bill such as Dunne and Given surely we can afford it

I'm confident he will sign a new deal surely the board won't drop another clanger

Edited by AshVilla

He'll sign a 3-4 year deal at £25k p/w and then when he turns 25/26, IF his progress has continued, he'll get his big contract of £40-50k.

I would imagine there will be incentives/clauses so that if his progress continues (which I'm convinced it will) then there will be options for increases or re-negotiations along the way

I'm pretty sure we will fend off interest from the likes of the teams mentioned.

If we can't keep our best players from going to similar clubs in terms of league position what is the point in trying to compete?

Don't get me wrong I would not pay him more than 40k a week

As there are plenty of clubs who can afford to pay a player more than £40k/week, how do you square the above extracts from your post?

I'm confident he will sign a new deal surely the board won't drop another clanger

You have selected a, some might say reasonable, round figure of £40k/week maximum to offer AW. The board and manager will know the finances of this club (and to a certain extent other clubs) better than us and may decide AW is worth a maximum of, for example, £36k/week. Would it be a clanger if the board decided not to match another club's offer above these figures?

When you mention Stearling at Liverpool, most of Liverpools contracts are performance based now.  i.e. their wages increase to certain brackets when they meet certain targets and amount of games played.  Skertel and Stearling both signed pefromance related contracts last summer.  Could be something Villa employ here.

Don't get me wrong I would not pay him more than 40k a week

As there are plenty of clubs who can afford to pay a player more than £40k/week, how do you square the above extracts from your post?

You have selected a, some might say reasonable, round figure of £40k/week maximum to offer AW. The board and manager will know the finances of this club (and to a certain extent other clubs) better than us and may decide AW is worth a maximum of, for example, £36k/week. Would it be a clanger if the board decided not to match another club's offer above these figures?

Well I can't see Sunderland Newcastle or Norwich paying him more than 40k a week and I'd like to think that we can off him a similar package to the teams mentioned which will mean he stays here as he's already settled and playing regularly week in week out

I think the big dangers are clubs such as Liverpool trying to get him who will sell him the whole history of the club were going to challenge for the top 4 bullshit in a few years time rubbish even then I don't think he will be a starter there and will be a bench player

If another club like that comes in and offers him ridiculous wages he will have to go. But if he goes to one of our relegation rivals you have to look at the board and question first of all why has one of our more important players contract been allowed to wind down and secondly their ambition and where we expect to be in a few years time

When you mention Stearling at Liverpool, most of Liverpools contracts are performance based now.  i.e. their wages increase to certain brackets when they meet certain targets and amount of games played.  Skertel and Stearling both signed pefromance related contracts last summer.  Could be something Villa employ here.

Suarez is on one at the moment and had a pay increase due to it

If another club like that comes in and offers him ridiculous wages he will have to go. But if he goes to one of our relegation rivals you have to look at the board and question first of all why has one of our more important players contract been allowed to wind down and secondly their ambition and where we expect to be in a few years time

Would it still be the board's fault if Andi left for more than your £40k/week maximum?

How would you have got Andi to sign a new contract earlier?

When will people realise that other clubs can't give him an offer? Oh, they can, but that would pretty much against the rules.

Potential offers are made in private. 'Tapping up' as it is called, is very difficult to prove and a complaint is not often pursued because nearly all clubs do it to a certain extent.

Obviously neither GED or Eck rated him enough to offer him a new deal, or maybe they did but he snubbed it. The longer this drags on the more it looks like he'll be sold. I wouldn't lose too much sleep, for every good game he's had this season he's had a pretty anonymous one too, granted he looked out on his feet the last few weeks though.

He wasn't a first-teamer under them (through age) so he hadn't really done anything to warrant; or demand; a new improved deal. He came of age this season though and I strongly disagree that he was ever anonymous. His workrate alone, to me, means that was never the case.

• Like 2

I'd give him £35k but without knowing his demands or precisely who is after him, it's difficult to give a sensible figure.

I'd give him £35k but without knowing his demands or precisely who is after him, it's difficult to give a sensible figure.

That won't stop many. Roll up! Roll up! £20k, £30k, £40k. Pick a number, any number!

Â