Andreas Weimann

Adam2003

Don't want to tempt fate like but why hasn't this been formally announced yet if such a done deal?!?

Because AW is yet to sign a new contract. The desperate need to provide news before it has actually happened continues.

I think this will be announced along with Bentekes signature at the kit launch, just in time for us to add their names on the back of our new shirts.

Im pretty sure the reason the players agents have gone quiet, is an indication that the deals are done or very close to be being done.

Edited by MagicMushroom

Good news. Hopefully Benteke will follow!

Slightly disappointed its only for three years. Same length as Baker's. I wonder why we aren't aiming for four years? We'll be negotiating again in a year, if we don't want to be in this position again...

As someone else mentioned, it is most likely to keep them motivated to earn another contract rather than getting a 5 year deal and then putting their feet up.

Hmmm. Surely that could be countered by an option for a fourth year triggered if he hits appearance/ performance targets? But as I'm not privy to the contract or Villa's initial intentions and just sat here, widly speculating, it's probably best to leave it there.

Considering he was supposedely the star striker within his group in the academy, I wonder what the Fonz thinks of Andi's new contract.

If he stays, I hope that he can see that Andi earned it through his sheer determinedness to run his socks off as much as his natural forward playing prowess.

Weimann signs

Andreas Weimann admitted that the "feeling of being at home here at Aston Villa" and the "potential within this young, exciting team" helped persuade him to put pen to paper on a new three-year deal which will run to 2016.

The 21-year-old Austrian international forward also acknowledged that he "owes the manager and the Club" having been trusted by Paul Lambert to play in 38 games in all competitions in his breakthrough season in 2012-13.

"I'm really happy that I've signed. I love the Club and it's been brilliant for me, for I have a feeling of being at home here at Aston Villa," Weimann said.

"I've been here for six seasons now, having started with the Academy in 2006, and last season was tremendous for me and terrific for the team the way we played over the second half of a really demanding campaign.

"On a personal level, I didn't expect at the start of the season that it would go the way it did, with me being involved and starting games almost the whole of the way through.

"It was exciting to be part of the team's development because the potential within this young, exciting team is really strong.

"The last several months of the season we played really well and got better and better as season went on. Hopefully, we can continue on like we finished and that will be the challenge.

"Like the other young players in the team, I want to keep improving as a player and keep pushing Villa as high as we can in the Premier League.

"I feel like I owe the manager and the Club because the manager backed me last season after he came in and I have always felt comfortable and really supported at the Club.

"The supporters, too, have been brilliant with me and they've really taken to me which I'm delighted about. It means everything to know you have support like that. The whole team feels the same way.

"It's great to be a part of an exciting future at Villa. I'm sure the manager will bring in more new faces to help us and this will make us stronger.

"We stuck together last season and having so many young players helped because we grew together as a team and improved as well as players. That's why I want to continue to do my best for the Club."

Weimann signed for Villa aged 15, having started his career at Rapid Vienna.

Weimann went on two loan spells to Watford FC, making 22 appearances in all and scoring four goals.

He made his debut against West Ham United in August 2010, coming on as a substitute to replace Ashley Young.

However, his progress was halted when he sustained an ankle injury in a Europa League game against his former club Rapid Vienna. Weimann continued to make strides in the first team in the latter half of the 2011-12 season.

After scoring two hat-tricks for the reserves and following the season-ending injury to Darren Bent, Weimann came on for Charles N'Zogbia against Fulham in March 2012.

He scored a last-minute winner, bundling the ball into the net following a Gary Gardner shot.

He scored again against Stoke at Villa Park with a goal that was voted Villa's goal of the season.

The 2012-13 season saw Weimann become a first team regular, appearing in 38 games in all competitions and scoring 12 goals including a brace against eventual champions Manchester United and a goal against Liverpool that was runner-up in the Club's goal of the season competition.

Weimann has also made the step up to international football, having appeared six times for Austria.

"Andi has shown a great work ethic and that's the big thing about him along with his quality," said Lambert.

"He has drive and a hunger to succeed and that's vital. That's what we're looking for here at Villa.

"He got a sustained run at it last season and he showed the quality that marks him out as a natural finisher. He definitely knows where the goal is and his performances on that right side, coming off the lines, have been really great.

"Whether Andi Weimann is on x-amount of money or not, you'll always get the same player but we're delighted obviously that we've agreed this new deal."

• Like 2

Â