Andreas Weimann

Adam2003

pay him according to what you think his value is, not with what you can get away with.

if he is as good as we think he is, and we cheapskate, we will have top teams coming in tempting him with the amount he is really worth within a couple of years.

If you give him what he is really worth now, you won't have that problem, and we'd keep him for a bit longer - maybe all his career if Villa pushes to the next level.

How long have you been supporting us for? A few names to jog your memory Barry (not Bannan, I won't get you started on him), Milner, Young, Downing. They left for bigger clubs who could offer a better chance of success. In the short term, we have no chance of competing with these teams.

Even if we made Andi our top earner, if any of the big four came calling, he would leave. That's modern football. For these reasons Paying him £20k, £30k or £40k will make no difference.

Alternatively, adopt your strategy and pay him more than he's worth. Andi thinks he's made it and stops putting the hard work in. We're left with a player on big money that we can't offload. Another Ireland, Warnock, Dunne etc

Edited by benireduk
  • Like 1

How long have you been supporting us for? 

Since about 1987-88.

A few names to jog your memory Barry (not Bannan, I won't get you started on him), Milner, Young, Downing. They left for bigger clubs who could offer a better chance of success. In the short term, we have no chance of competing with these teams.

of course

Even if we made Andi our top earner, if any of the big four came calling, he would leave. That's modern football. For these reasons Paying him £20k, £30k or £40k will make no difference.

disagree. there is a reason why a player might forgo the immediate salary increase another couple of years to stay on a lower salary, if it is already a decent amount.

Consistent football to build your reputation (and potential future salary).

When you're just getting established, striker scoring goals, changing club quickly might not be the best thing for your development.  

You could be going to a big club where you will be sat on the bench for most of the games and used out of your favourite position. even if Weimann is worth £25m 2014 he wouldn't be a starter at the big 5. 

If he stays and builds a solid reputation at Villa over 4-5 years when he eventually moves to the next level he'll command not only a higher salary than he would have received moving at 23, but a starting spot. 

Moving at 23 for 60k a week on a 5 year deal is £15.6m, moving at 26 on a 5 year deal at £90k is £23.4m.

In those 2 extra years at villa on £30k rather than 60k he'd lose £3.1m but if he waits he gets a shot at an extra £5m.

Sure you get the idea. Pitch too low and the first big offer becomes relatively more attractive.

Alternatively, adopt your strategy and pay him more than he's worth. Andi thinks he's made it and stops putting the hard work in. We're left with a player on big money that we can't offload. Another Ireland, Warnock, Dunne etc

I don't believe he's that kind of player. That's the risk you take with footballers. If you don't believe in him, don't pay him. Let another club take that risk.

The one thing your basing that view on Con is that Andi DOES fulfill his potential. He's been one of our players of the season so far and I hope that it continues. But lets play devils advocate for a minute. Next season he could fail to kick on like Albrighton. He burst on the scene and hasn't reached those heights due to loss of confidence and injury. Worse still, he could be the next Stefan Moore.

Both our views are speculating what MAY happen in the future. When it comes to a new contract, you have to look at what is happening now. The key factors are that Andi is playing well and is scoring goals. He's only been in and around the team for a short period so the offer would reflect this. Also, we are in a relegation battle and could well be in the Chmpionship next season unless things improve. If we offer Andi a bumper deal, what message would that send out to the rest of the squad when it's been well documented that we've been trying to trim the wage bill? A fair offer of 3 year £20k a week deal. He'd be a multi-millionaire in his mid 20's and if he performs, he can re-negotiate. If he doesn't want it, I'll take it!!!

The one thing your basing that view on Con is that Andi DOES fulfill his potential.

you have to do that. otherwise you lose great players.

He's been one of our players of the season so far and I hope that it continues. But lets play devils advocate for a minute. Next season he could fail to kick on like Albrighton. He burst on the scene and hasn't reached those heights due to loss of confidence and injury. Worse still, he could be the next Stefan Moore.

you can't be negative.

if you can't make the big decisions, if you can't handle the possibility of being wrong, you will never have success. 

Both our views are speculating what MAY happen in the future. When it comes to a new contract, you have to look at what is happening now. The key factors are that Andi is playing well and is scoring goals. He's only been in and around the team for a short period so the offer would reflect this. Also, we are in a relegation battle and could well be in the Chmpionship next season unless things improve. If we offer Andi a bumper deal, what message would that send out to the rest of the squad when it's been well documented that we've been trying to trim the wage bill? A fair offer of 3 year £20k a week deal. He'd be a multi-millionaire in his mid 20's and if he performs, he can re-negotiate. If he doesn't want it, I'll take it!!!

you are not going into much depth of research before potentially offering someone a contract worth a lot of money.

you need to know what they are like as a person - is this person a troublemaker, is he popular with other players,  is he a leader, does he set a good example off the pitch, does he have the physical attributes for his position of striker (strength, height, speed), natural finishing, decision-making skills, passion for the game?

if Weimann ticks all those boxes you shouldn't be assuming he is going to fail. you should assume he is the PL's next Alan Shearer and act accordingly. 

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/andi-weimann-aston-villa-will-stay-1248067

Complications with contract , club won't pay what he wants...hopefully will come to an agreement or going to lose 

him on cheap as only one year left on deal

As one of only 2 players that I don't consider to be a huge rocket polisher, I'd be pretty gutted to see Weimann leave. 

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/andi-weimann-aston-villa-will-stay-1248067

Complications with contract , club won't pay what he wants...hopefully will come to an agreement or going to lose 

him on cheap as only one year left on deal

I was told Saturday evening that indications were Weimann and three others would be off if we go down. I asked Hairyands, but he said not true. Now im not certain.

If his agent is any good at his job he will be making sure Wiemann doesn't sign anything until he knows we will be in the prem next season. It would be stupid for him to sign a new long term deal tying him to the club if we are going to be relegated in a few months.

Not sure if he will stay if we go down but he does say he is happy at Villa and that he doesn't know about the rumours linking him to "Vitesse" and that he will just concentrate on Villa.

I think he will stay if we stay up sure.

If we go down i'm not so sure.

http://sport10.at/home/fussball/international/1330711/Weimann-platzt-der-Knoten-und-wird-gejagt
< He usually speaks to Austria press quite often.

I think we won't know for certain until end of season and go from there.

I was told Saturday evening that indications were Weimann and three others would be off if we go down. I asked Hairyands, but he said not true. Now im not certain.

I think we should put an end to all that speculation by just staying up :P

He is a good player the type we need if we are to sucessfully rebuild after this season is over!

We all like his workrate and eye for goal!

Would the workrate standouts so much if others in the team had the same endevour?

I think the one thing that stands out for me is his strengh of character,this player is not a little boy lost and has a great future.But to talk about 90k a week contracts is going a bit far considering his main atributes(atm) are determination and workrate...

Im sure he will know this so im backing him to sign again relegation or not :)

Pretty much the only player of ours I really like. Would be well pissed off if he leaves because of our stinginess. If Bent. Benteke and Weimann all go if we go down, then who's gonna get us the goals? Bowery and Agbonlahor hardly have great goalscoring records.

Â