Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

Mozart was a genius, but Beethoven goes straight to the soul

Where does Mozart's Requiem go?

I think that's Mozart's best piece by quite some distance. I think that's when Mozart stopped being his usual self and expressed his soul properly. Beethoven was always a bit of a grumpy bastard by all accounts

• Like 1

What's a SPUI?

A Single Point Urban Interchange

A single point urban interchange is similar in form to a diamond interchange, but has the advantage of allowing opposing left turns to proceed simultaneously by compressing the two intersections of a diamond into one single intersection over or under the free-flowing road.

The term "single point" refers to the fact that all through traffic on the arterial street, as well as the traffic turning left onto or off the interchange, can be controlled from a single set of traffic signals. Due to the space efficiency of SPUIs relative to the volume of traffic they can handle, the interchange design is being used extensively in the reconstruction of existing freeways as well as constructing new freeways, particularly in dense urban environments.

• Like 1

Kiss & AC/DC are quite possibly the worst things ever to happen to music.

Have you heard modern chart music? Makes Kiss sound like Beethoven. 

Indeed. Modern chart music is **** horrendous.

Kiss have made some very good albums (and admittedly some clunkers) and Bon Scott-era AC/DC are magic.

• Like 1

Mandolin girl decided she wants to have another go at the violin (she had some lessons at primary school, but gave up). As it happened, Mrs M had a clapped-out old violin that she'd had since she was a kid (some old lady gave it to her back in the day). So I took it down to an instrument repair guy to see if it was worth spending any money on, or whether we should just bin it and buy a new one. 

He said that £100 worth of repairs would get it up to snuff - but the instrument was a good one, and worth a good £600-£700 when repaired. Naturally I was delighted. Picked it up yesterday - and he said that having now heard it played, it's actually worth at least a grand. 

Result. 

• Like 1

Which comic con is the best to go to in order to meet good people?  Just seen the London Film and Comic Con which features, Stan Lee, Lita, Gus Fring, Glen Morshower, Bulk and Skull from Power Rangers and Caper Van Dien and Dina Meyer (Starship Troopers).

going to the pub after work and then inadvertently phoning your boss ....... oops

It was after work, so what's the problem? Now if it was mid-afternoon, or summat... ah, how I miss those days. 

Not. 

Edited by mjmooney

going to the pub after work and then inadvertently phoning your boss ....... oops

It was after work, so what's the problem? Now if it was mid-afternoon, or summat... ah, how I miss those days. 

Not. 

It was mid afternoon for him ....... bit after work for me .... so i guess it was OK. Call apparently lasted 4 mins according to my phone - I will claim it was aliens

There was once a photo in the Bradford University staff magazine showing the smart new foyer area. If you looked carefully you could see me and a couple of mates walking back in from the pub. The clock behind us showed a time of... well it was well after 2.00 pm, anyway.  :)

Â