Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

pepper for me, maybe chilli flakes, chives if im scrambling.

* when i cook with passata and i need something to take away the strength of the tomato flavour or the acidity not sure what, salt seems the obvious answer, would like something else 

Sugar, just a little bit to take away the acidity. Also enhances the flavour of the toms, in a good way.

spot on, on the egg seasoning.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Oh no, we're back to the absolute tasteless savages not using salt in their cooking again

science again, too much sodium causes your body to retain water, mostly in your stomach, meaning that you bloat

so if your dieting or overly conscious about your body shape and weight or just wear a clothes size that is optimistic that bloat is not your friend

i don't measure my salt / sodium in food in general, i dont purposefully buy low salt foods or anything like that but I also don't add more unless its absolutely necessary, im not going to use a dolmeo or colmans sauce packet to make a dish and then put salt on top for example, if I'm making something from scratch then I will but not a lot

18 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

science again, too much sodium causes your body to retain water, mostly in your stomach, meaning that you bloat

so if your dieting or overly conscious about your body shape and weight or just wear a clothes size that is optimistic that bloat is not your friend

i don't measure my salt / sodium in food in general, i dont purposefully buy low salt foods or anything like that but I also don't add more unless its absolutely necessary, im not going to use a dolmeo or colmans sauce packet to make a dish and then put salt on top for example, if I'm making something from scratch then I will but not a lot

I don’t get the logic of wanting a lower salt/healthier diet then buying a ready made sauce full of salt but each to their own 

• Like 1

Why you both started at the extremes. "savages not using salt" countered with "too much salt in a diet".  Most people live in the big bit between those 2 :)  I'll counter with more extreme science. No salt and you're dead :D  :P  

19 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I can’t remember if V4E was on the side of savagery last time this topic came up but there were people who weren’t even salting pasta water in the last iteration 

Yeah I don't but that's more cos I can't be bothered

Salting pasta water is a bit of a myth isn't it? The salt means you can raise the boiling point of the water but its only by something like 1° so doesn't actually have that much of an impact 

Strangely I do salt water for potatoes though 

22 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah I don't but that's more cos I can't be bothered

Salting pasta water is a bit of a myth isn't it? The salt means you can raise the boiling point of the water but its only by something like 1° so doesn't actually have that much of an impact 

Strangely I do salt water for potatoes though 

Nothing to do with that, all about the flavour. And then you use the seasoned water for saucing purposes. 

Talking about black pepper as a key ingredient for carbonara then admitting you don’t salt your pasta water. Generations of nonna’s are rolling in their graves. 

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Nothing to do with that, all about the flavour. And then you use the seasoned water for saucing purposes. 

Talking about black pepper as a key ingredient for carbonara then admitting you don’t salt your pasta water. Generations of nonna’s are rolling in their graves. 

That's not even the worst of it... I don't let the wife put egg in my carbonara cos she always ends up scrambling it, she adds it after I've taken my portion out 

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's not even the worst of it... I don't let the wife put egg in my carbonara cos she always ends up scrambling it, she adds it after I've taken my portion out 

Next you’ll be telling me you add cream to it

51 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

For a second there I thought you were going to leave out the main ingredient.

• Haha 2

Â