Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

3 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

I tried to get a photo, but I was driving. 

It was unreal. 

I’d estimate about 2x the height of the blokes head. 

I thought it was a stuffed one at first and he was on the way to a fancy dress party, but then the parrot started moving and looking around. The bloke didn’t have a peg-leg or hook-hand either. 

Sounds like it might have been a hyacinth macaw at that size. Was it blue?

14 minutes ago, Xela said:

Sounds like it might have been a hyacinth macaw at that size. Was it blue?

Just looked them up, it could well have been, but It was a brighter, lighter blue, with a greeny/yellowy bit on it’s head. It was one of those moments where it probably took me a few seconds to process what I was seeing and my brain was going ‘yes, that is a massive parrot on that bloke’s shoulder and no, you aren’t caned’. 

2 hours ago, A'Villan said:

If you lie on your back and move your legs as if you were riding a bicycle, emus are attracted to you and will walk over guaranteed.

Of all the birds, they are probably the dumbest, most unaware there are. When I worked in the outback they were everywhere, being their unhurried selves. On a bike, or walking, they'd make their way away from you, but eff me, with cars, they just, well, seem to have a death wish. They'd quite blissfully step out into the road in front of a car. I managed to avoid hitting any, but a lot get hit. There seemed to be loads of them, nevertheless - sometimes in groups of thirty or so, other times just a parent and a train of little humbug Emus tailing behind.

I like Emus.photos - 1583.jpg

• Like 2

@blandy Whereabouts in the outback were you based? I'm a city kid these days so don't get much exposure to Aussie wildlife.

Entirely baffling but other birds test their luck with vehicles for some strange reason as well. Pigeons and Indian Minors do it religiously too.

Step too close to them when you're strolling by and they'll (at least attempt to) keep a safe distance, but they always tempt fate when it comes to cars.

You know what emus should be doing when it comes to cars? Yeah, you know it.. Drag racing! Those oaf looking animals can get up to 50km/h!

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

There's a talking raven at Knareborough Castle that tells tourists to **** off, in a broad Yorkshire accent.

Not sure if they had quite the same vocabulary but I don’t think I’m imagining that there were talking mynah birds in Kings Heath park in the late 70s / early 80s.

Edited by choffer

I had a long weekend in Crickhowell. I did the same last year and although most weekends I am in a different town or village in the UK. Crickhowell was the first place with a modicum of serious intent where I looked at house prices. Adored the place. 

Came to my senses in the end. 

16 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I had a long weekend in Crickhowell. I did the same last year and although most weekends I am in a different town or village in the UK. Crickhowell was the first place with a modicum of serious intent where I looked at house prices. Adored the place. 

Came to my senses in the end. 

Crickhowell is ok but sandwiched between a strange collection of odd places. Tory Abergavenny, totally lovey Hay on Wye darling and Brecon then after that, there be dragons on the other side of Pen-y-fan. The less said about Builth Wells the better.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

What a terrible thing to say to drowsy drivers.

28 minutes ago, bickster said:

Aussies and subtle don't mix

Here's another one just to back up bickster's case.

image.png.4e4f75f130341471a38299c8cb19d33f.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, A'Villan said:

@blandy The Aussie sun is pretty brutal at those temperatures, hey.

It's about the only time I can call myself a person of colour. Not proudly. I look like I've been marinated in red wine I get so sunburnt.

Aye, I can't remember if it was that particular bike ride, but I rode up a slight hill, maybe ¼ mile or so long, and when I got to the top I almost passed out. Mad dogs and Englishmen and all that.

It was mental hot at times - high 40s for about 3 weeks In row, and mid 30s at night. Ground still hot to walk on at midnight, the smell of hot trees and bark. I absolutely loved it out there. What a place. I miss it.

• Like 1

I have this exact poster framed and mounted on my wall.

Shadow boxing.

I've spent countless hours by myself, sometimes even in the middle of the night with no lights at an outdoor court, trying to better my basketball game.

710cigSsy4L._SY606_.jpg

Â