Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that we have played in the last two games with our defence as

Guzan; Lowton, Vlaar, Clark, Luna

I would say shows that Lambert still has complete faith in Clark and he is likely to be starting the season with Vlaar. I'm not keen on Clark at all myself, nor Vlaar for that mater but even though Vlaar looked poor at times, our results did dramatically improve when he returned to the side at the end of the season.

Yes, I also fear Lambert rates Clark as one of the first options at centre back. He only dropped him last season because of injury, not form.

Yep - I fear this to - seem to remember he looked like being recalled over Baker. However Clark has looked so poor pre season - he would be eaten alive in those first few fixtures. It wouldn't totally surprise if Clark starts a few games early on - but that will be it.

Well he's going to get destroyed by any striker with a physical presence about them

We all know what happened when he was up against Anichebe last season

The bloke is too lightweight to be a CB i'd like to see him in CDM he looks comfortable on the ball and his passing isn't bad but he lacks the physical presence to be a CB imo

i'd prefer Baker any day of the week at least he doesn't get manhandled

The idea of someone like Lukaku up against Clark makes me worry

Edited by AshVilla

I think the goal against Luton was partly Clark's fault, but also partly Callum Robinson's. He tried a quick, first time pass, which went straight to the opposition. Hopefully our players in the midfield area wont play the opposition through like that in a league game this season. If they do, hopefully Clark has used up one of his clangers in pre-season, and he'll allow Vlaar to mop it up if it happens again.

I agree with people who say that Clark should be 4th choice from our 4 CBs (despite barely seeing Okore at all :D), but I haven't written him off just yet. I've still seen enough in him, for me to think that he could still be a decent Prem defender, or back-up defender.

Other than the odd clanger, he does a 'decent' job at the back. His distribution is good and he also has a few goals in him. Considering he cost us nothing and has been here a while, I wouldn't be happy if we got rid of him, just because he currently lacks a bit of concentration, causing clangers. Give him time, he could be a squad player on modest wages, and another relative 'success' for the academy.

(Note: When I say 'success', I don't mean that he's going to be the next Rio).

I would say shows that Lambert still has complete faith in Clark and he is likely to be starting the season with Vlaar. I'm not keen on Clark at all myself, nor Vlaar for that mater but even though Vlaar looked poor at times, our results did dramatically improve when he returned to the side at the end of the season.

Or just that okore is injured and thats the best we've got for now? I fail to see how someone as astute as lambert has failed to see how poor clark can be.

Or just that okore is injured and thats the best we've got for now? I fail to see how someone as astute as lambert has failed to see how poor clark can be.

Made him captain last year - and didn't drop him for Baker all last season. I reckon he is 3rd choice behind Vlaar/Okore

25-07-201314-44-58_zpsc47fe67a.jpg

Vlaar and Clark discuss the finer points of the defending for the 2nd goal.

(Mind you, I thought the defending for the first goal was more worrying. This was an individual error - the first goal was a systemic failure where three players were left stranded after a cross, just like at Wycombe.  :( )

Edited by briny_ear

(Mind you, I thought the defending for the first goal was more worrying. This was an individual error - the first goal was a systemic failure where three players were left stranded after a cross, just like at Wycombe.  :( )

I thought Baker was at fault for the first goal - lost his runner who got in behind to make the cutback. Neither player is particularly convincing but I feel more comfortable with Baker in there than Clark. Let's hope 20-year old Okore is the answer.

• Like 1

I thought Baker was at fault for the first goal - lost his runner who got in behind to make the cutback. Neither player is particularly convincing but I feel more comfortable with Baker in there than Clark. Let's hope 20-year old Okore is the answer.

Pretty sure that was Herd

Who had that horrible miss kick in the first half Ive no sound at work?

Gardner. Did something similar in one of the other games too. He needs to be loaned out, the guy has never played a season of first-team football and he really needs it. 

• Like 1

I've just watched the goals again, first goal is worrying but when you look at the back 4 maybe its not too surprising, the second goal however, sure its a bad pass from robinson but vlaar comes across to try and deal with and clark just slides in on them both. Really cant make any sense of it, bizzare defending.

I not only think Baker is a better defender than Clark, I think Vlaar looks more solid when he's paired with Baker than when he's paired with Clark. That screenshot above is a good example -- I think Vlaar is constantly looking over his shoulder for the next poor decision Clark is going to make. I think Clark does have some good potential and maybe he will get there eventually, but he's 4th choice for me right now.

Rewatching some of our games last season (making my way through the AVTV highlights. Dear GOD we need to get our defence better. Some games (like Swansea away) we were just pummeled, Clark needs to be bedded in slowly if he is to come in.

Â