• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

think pecking order is

Vlaar

Okore

Baker

Clark

Lambert only likes centre halfs with 5 letters, surprised didnt keep Dunne :P

I think the current pecking order (which might very well change between now and the opening game) is Vlaar, Clark, Baker, Okore. On the basis that Okore is a brand new and young signing and therefore the 'junior' player. And Baker only got into the side after Clark was injured. Lambert is a good manager so I believe he will be of the thinking that the place is Clark's to lose. But if we were playing in the Premier League on Saturday I believe he'd start with Vlaar & Clark.
Clark lost his place when he got injured, but didn't get it back again after he got fit did he? I cannot possibly see how Baker deserves to be dropped at this point, for footballing reasons, unless he has a sinker of a preseason. It's his position at the moment, but there will a strong psychological pull with Lambert to play his £4M summer signing Okore sooner rather than later. So I think Clark might have his work cut out to prove he's the man to partner Vlaar.

Just checked. He made the bench for Fulham and Man U, but didn't for the last four. I think we can in fairness say he didn't recover. But Baker was better in almost every respect, and I think it's his position to be taken off him. We'll find out at the Emirates.

Just checked. He made the bench for Fulham and Man U, but didn't for the last four. I think we can in fairness say he didn't recover. But Baker was better in almost every respect, and I think it's his position to be taken off him. We'll find out at the Emirates.

Which is all I was saying initially. Nothing to do with subjective fan opinion on how both did while in the side. Objectively, Clark only left the team through injury so it's not ridiculous to suggest that currently with everyone fit, he starts off as Vlaar's partner. IMV it's only a matter of time before Okore becomes Vlaar's partner but I'd be slightly surprised if he started off that way, given how I think Lambert manages.

Which is all I was saying initially. Nothing to do with subjective fan opinion on how both did while in the side. Objectively, Clark only left the team through injury so it's not ridiculous to suggest that currently with everyone fit, he starts off as Vlaar's partner. IMV it's only a matter of time before Okore becomes Vlaar's partner but I'd be slightly surprised if he started off that way, given how I think Lambert manages.
My mistake, I thought he was on the bench on the run in and so was effectively dropped. But none the less IMV, for footballing, reasons, I think it's Bakers position to lose.

We've got some nice competition for the centre back positions now. This should keep them all on their toes and the best players should start.

The players who start the season might not be the best CB pairing we will have this season, it might take a few games to figure that out.

Think he'll get picked as number one defender with Vlaar at the start of the season, as he seems to be well-liked by Lambert for some reason, but he'll go and commit the same stupid mistakes as last season and get dropped for Okore, who will go on to make that position his own.

Unless he cuts out the dumb errors, rash tackling, falling asleep and poor positioning, he'll only ever be back up for us.

75% sure Lambert will start 3 CBs for our opening fixtures.

Well better look forward to some drubbings as this clearly did not work last season 

Edited by AshVilla

75% sure Lambert will start 3 CBs for our opening fixtures.

Well better look forward to some drubbings as this clearly did not work last season 

I don't think the 3 CBs were the problem in that system, although with Vlaar and Okore we should have higher quality CBs this time.

If I remember right, Lowton and particularly Bennett pushed high and didn't track back so we got murdered down our flanks on the counter-attack.

In theory it is a very good system against teams that play only 1 true forward, which a lot of teams did last season. You don't want 4 defenders sitting back holding each others' hands looking after 1 striker. 

Wing backs push on and one of your 3 CBs - the playmaking one - steps into midfield.

Has he started with three centre backs in any if the three friendlies then, or even has he at any time during those games reverted to a back three.

I suspect the answer is no. Which suggests you're pulling all of this out of thin air.

Â