Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

In about 2 months time Con will be stating how people have demonized Clark, never liked him, made him want to leave etc etc, this is going EXACTLY how he started the Bannan thread.

People will jump on board, out of context with how the thread started and blame fan hatred.

Not that the player was rubbish no.

Mark my words.

Edited by dodgyknees
  • Like 1

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clark's error against Man City was a foul against him by Tevez, pure & simple that went unnoticed & unpunished by the shit Ref that we always get allocated as a Premier League rule.

Clark was guilty of over confidence & got caught out by Teves's cuteness. This is just a part of his game that he will improve on in time. Clark undoubtedly has Potential & is a good squad player hence the new contract.

Clark's error was against Man City, Baker's was against Reading. I'm not surprised we came back against Reading and stayed behind against Man City.

Also, against Everton, Baker missed a header in the final moments vs Felliani when he scored to make it 3-3.

Wasn't that Vlaar ?

Yes it was

Clark's error against Man City was a foul against him by Tevez, pure & simple that went unnoticed & unpunished by the shit Ref that we always get allocated as a Premier League rule.

Clark was guilty of over confidence & got caught out by Teves's cuteness. This is just a part of his game that he will improve on in time. Clark undoubtedly has Potential & is a good squad player hence the new contract.

The entire standard of refereeing is poor, it's just sour grapes to say we get worse refs (yes against top sides we probably do get less decisions, as do every other lesser side). I didn't actually see anything wrong by Tevez, but even if it was a foul, Clark still dwadled on the ball and made an error. Everyone is going to make errors but Clark doesn't seem to learn from them

He's too naive. Hopefully this will stop.

Saying he is useless/rubbish isn't accurate in my opinion. He is clearly of some talent.

Time will tell if that's enough for him to fulfil his potential here though. He is still young for a DC, particularly so when he has had to put up with learning from some right clowns when he made the step up to the first team. I mean, could he really have learned anything decent from "seasoned pros" like Richard Dunne and James Collins?!

I think we look more assured with baker alongside Vlaar although he is prone to the odd blooper , i would expect okore to start with Vlaar and Clark to be 4th choice when all are fit .

He has dropped down the pecking order and has himself to blame , last season he had a golden chance to cement a first team slot and failed badly.

He seems to get worse as time progresses. He isnt a youngster anymore, I'm a lot happier when he isnt playing. I think he is clearly 4th choice this season

There is a good player in there...somewhere. Very hard to supportive sometimes about him, but this is the season, he can`t do more of that crap this year. That is a no-go for me, if that happens early on then it`s all over.

Clark's error was against Man City, Baker's was against Reading. I'm not surprised we came back against Reading and stayed behind against Man City. 

Also, against Everton, Baker missed a header in the final moments vs Felliani when he scored to make it 3-3.

Wasn't that Vlaar ?

Thought it was Baker but if you're not sure, I'm not confident enough to say you're wrong.

Anyone else remember that goal?  I remember Baker coming on as sub in 90th minute, then Everton scoring from a set piece soon after.

Just watched it on AVTV. Fellaini outmuscled and then outjumped Vlaar. Clark was faffing around ineffectually behind Fellaini. Baker was marking (I think) Naismith and was not involved in the Fellaini header at all.

Can I just point out that how Baker performs as a defender is TOTALLY irrelevant to an assessment of Clark as a defender.

It's also worth mentioning that Anechebe tossed Clark aside like a powder puff for Everton's first goal.

• Like 2

Thanks for that clarification about the Fellaini goal. 

Baker is better in the air than Clark, which was shown last season. Clark is better on the floor, shown by his higher pass completion rate. It is undeniable they both made errors. However, years ago I remember when MOTD were ripping apart the defending of Michael Dawson and Titus Bramble. One of them, Dawson, is now very highly regarded leader and defender, and is still at Spurs. This proves to me a few bloopers from Clark or Baker at 24 matters very little. A player rarely reaches their peak performance in CB position until late 20s.

Since  Clark has been given shirt #6 and we now have 4 CBs my guess is this season we will be playing some novel formations that include Clark, not so much as a defensive midfielder, but as some kind of third CB.

Wasn't that Vlaar ?

Thought it was Baker but if you're not sure, I'm not confident enough to say you're wrong.

Anyone else remember that goal? I remember Baker coming on as sub in 90th minute, then Everton scoring from a set piece soon after.

Just watched it on AVTV. Fellaini outmuscled and then outjumped Vlaar. Clark was faffing around ineffectually behind Fellaini. Baker was marking (I think) Naismith and was not involved in the Fellaini header at all.

Can I just point out that how Baker performs as a defender is TOTALLY irrelevant to an assessment of Clark as a defender.

It's also worth mentioning that Anechebe tossed Clark aside like a powder puff for Everton's first goal.

Indeed. Clark was terrible the first half, he could not figure Anichebe out. All he had to do was back off a little and beat him for talent but he could not resist getting in tight. I don't care what his instructions may or may not have been, he needs to have the metal strength to make those decisions.

He just doesn't have it.

It was Dzeko that took the ball off of Clark

Hmmmmmmmm now its been mentioned on here 3 CB's doesn't sound so bad .......

---------------Guzan---------------

-------Okore--Vlaar--Baker-----

Lowton-----------------------Luna

----------Westy-----Bacuna-------

Gabby------Benteke----Weimann

That actually looks pretty decent tbh. Obviously some names could be swapped out with others but I think that might be a decent option alongside our regular 4-3-3

This being said, I still wouldn't have Clark in the team unless I REALLY had to. Far too error prone in almost all circumstances for me.

it doesnt work. we tried it last year and it didnt work then, it ruined us in midfield

That team with three at the back would be over run in the middle of the park and get hammered

Westwood and Bacuna in the middle is way too soft

Edited by KHV

it doesnt work. we tried it last year and it didnt work then, it ruined us in midfield

That team with three at the back would be over run in the middle of the park and get hammered

Westwood and Bacuna in the middle is way too soft

I think saying 'It doesn't work' is quite narrow sighted. Perhaps 'It didn't work for us last season' would have been more apt.

Also I don't think anyone can judge Bacuna as yet, and I did caveat that obviously players can be shifted in and/or out of that lineup.

3 CB's has worked in the past for many teams, and will do in the future I am sure, I mean, so we really think we need to be 'solid' in the centre midfield position against say Crystal Palace for example? I'm not saying that it would be our go to formation, I was just saying it's interesting and probbaly does have a place as an option we could use.

PS: I think messers McGrath, Southgate and Taylor may want to have a word about 3 CB's not working for us :P

Edited by AshVillain

Â