Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

Like many I expected more from him this season but he'll be a useful utility man for the season coming up. He's got talent but he has a lot of learning to do as a defender and is surely now 4th choice CB behind Okore (hopefully), Baker and Vlaar.

• Like 1

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We should keep him on as we need 4 CBs minimum but I think he is currently 4th choice if a new CB arrives.

Which is a shame as he was the one with more potential out of him and Baker, a lot of people on here were convinced 12 months ago that this was his year, the next Cahill, 'lets not make the same mistake as we did with 'Cahill' etc.

It's a shame for him, I think he can come good, he had a lot of pressure this year being captain of a young, inexperienced team for periods of the season and having to lead a defence of himself, Baker and Herd during *that* spell.

But some players really take to the pressure, and he hasnt. Will be a big year for him next season. Okore is really highly rated and is a good passer of the ball, which has been one reason to choose Clark over Baker, Clark is good with the ball and moving it forwards rather than hoofing it, where as Baker is strong, throws himself about and good in the air.

In Okore we (hopefully) have somebody who can do both those things if he progresses well enough. Clark really needs to push himself to get into the team, which is good.

We should keep him on as we need 4 CBs minimum but I think he is currently 4th choice if a new CB arrives.

Which is a shame as he was the one with more potential out of him and Baker, a lot of people on here were convinced 12 months ago that this was his year, the next Cahill, 'lets not make the same mistake as we did with 'Cahill' etc.

It's a shame for him, I think he can come good, he had a lot of pressure this year being captain of a young, inexperienced team for periods of the season and having to lead a defence of himself, Baker and Herd during *that* spell.

But some players really take to the pressure, and he hasnt. Will be a big year for him next season. Okore is really highly rated and is a good passer of the ball, which has been one reason to choose Clark over Baker, Clark is good with the ball and moving it forwards rather than hoofing it, where as Baker is strong, throws himself about and good in the air.

In Okore we (hopefully) have somebody who can do both those things if he progresses well enough. Clark really needs to push himself to get into the team, which is good.

Lambert needing to throw Clark at the very deep end like that probably set him back mentally as he obviously had difficulty coping with the pressure of being in defense with Baker and Herd and being a captain. We'll see next season how well he comes back from that, but at least now we can rotate all three young defenders and rest them when needed.

I might have stressed this point earlier, but Clark's problem when it comes to competing with Bakers is that while Clark is a better all around footballer Baker is arguably a better defender. Clark's versatility comes back to haunt him, as he could do a good job several places, but might not be first choice anywhere.

Last chance saloon for Clark this season imo, He has to look like a premier league football else Lambert will move him on.  Baker has a couple of years to develop but for the likes of Albrighton, Delfouneso, Clark and Herd this is it.  While i suspect time is already up on the Bannan.  He had more chanced than most to make an impact.

He is a an example of what we will have next season which is a much stronger bench.

Young player hungry to perform and bust a gut with 64 appearances already to his name and giving us great back up quality oven ready to step in if needed.

We haven't had that for a while.  It beats having journeymen 29 year olds thinking they have nothing to prove and that a place on our bench is not good enough or graduate players with no experience sitting on the bench.

really excited for us next season for the quality of our bench more than anything else!

I think Clark can still come good, as many have said he is not a natural traditional defender, but you could see he did improve and maybe alongside Vlaar he would be ok if both played together for long enough.

Albrighton has had one good season but looked shocking since
Bannan has had about 5 good games - but has never really pushed on.
Herd has had about 2 good games and never looked anything other than average all other times

Delf has never had a run in the team but has never looked the part from the bench

Clark has struggled all season but did start to get better before being injured, and has had a couple of good games in midfield. 

I might have stressed this point earlier, but Clark's problem when it comes to competing with Bakers is that while Clark is a better all around footballer Baker is arguably a better defender. Clark's versatility comes back to haunt him, as he could do a good job several places, but might not be first choice anywhere.

I don't know in regards to the defender comment I think they're just different defenders. Baker is very much an all or enough defender but in my opinion has made quite a few slip ups this season. I remember Stoke which I don't blame him for, these things happen but it's just an example. He'll no doubt stamp those out the more experience he gets. Clark for me however is a completely different defender than Baker. I think Clark reads the game a lot better and for the most part a much more intelligent footballer, hence the captaincy at times even though he's a very young age. I know I just know that if we offload him he will become a great player. Gary Cahill is a very good comparison to be honest, Clark is also a pretty big goal threat imo. He always seems to chip in with a few at times.

A lot of people are so quick to condemn people on here. I'm happy I'm not a footballer for all the good performances you put in it seems the fans only really remember or judge you on your worst ones. These are young players, they are of course going to be in-consistent. Some are going to grow quicker and better than others, that's a given but guys like Clark have proven themselves and shown loads of potential.

• Like 1

I don't know in regards to the defender comment I think they're just different defenders. Baker is very much an all or enough defender but in my opinion has made quite a few slip ups this season. I remember Stoke which I don't blame him for, these things happen but it's just an example. He'll no doubt stamp those out the more experience he gets. Clark for me however is a completely different defender than Baker. I think Clark reads the game a lot better and for the most part a much more intelligent footballer, hence the captaincy at times even though he's a very young age. I know I just know that if we offload him he will become a great player. Gary Cahill is a very good comparison to be honest, Clark is also a pretty big goal threat imo. He always seems to chip in with a few at times.

A lot of people are so quick to condemn people on here. I'm happy I'm not a footballer for all the good performances you put in it seems the fans only really remember or judge you on your worst ones. These are young players, they are of course going to be in-consistent. Some are going to grow quicker and better than others, that's a given but guys like Clark have proven themselves and shown loads of potential.

So much to disagree with here:-

1.Clark will be 24 in September 

2.Given his age and the number of appearances - its pretty likely that what you are seeing at present is close to as good as gets

3. Comparison to Cahill  - Well lets just say as a raw young player Cahill still commanded a fee of £5m - and was always robust in the tackle. By comparison Clark is lightweight in the tackle. He's struggling to hold a candle to Liam Ridgewell let alone Cahill 

4.Intelligent footballer ? - In what way ? - he got caught in possession against man city - weeks later did exactly the same thing while playing for Ireland.

Clark at best looks like a back up player for us. Yeah he was a very highly rated teenager - but he progressed almost zero since making his debut in 2009. I don't see any evidence at all that this guy will come good for us

Super central defender, probably will become the best the academy has produced.

Clark is a playmaking centre-back with leadership who is still a little raw because it takes time to learn centre-back.

I rate him higher than Baker overall, and I rate Baker.

If Clark had chosen to play for England, I could have imagined Clark and Baker alongside each other for England. They are simply different style centre-backs.

I really can't pick our CB pair next season.

Clark/Okore

Baker/Vlaar

Okore/Vlaar

Clark/Vlaar 

Baker/Clark

Okore/Baker

• Like 1

Out of? 

Not sure the last decent defender we produced? Cahill we flogged before he even had a chance to reach his potential.

Ridgewell was mainly awful, Lowry was flogged, Herd can't defend for toffee, O'Halloran probably was scuppered by injury..... struggling to remember others. J L Samuel???? Bewers, Jackman, Amoo????

We don't seem to be able to produce decent defenders, it doesn't seem Derrick Williams is rated that highly.

Clark hasn't shown any natural defensive qualities at all or playmaking ability (from defence), he is tidy on the ball and can pass, but he can't read the game and gets caught out of position all the time. He definitely has talent and I want to see him do well and fulfill his potential.

Baker is a much more natural defender who throws his body on the line and seems to be improving all the time despite his mistakes.

Clark is a playmaking centre-back with leadership who is still a little raw because it takes time to learn centre-back.

I rate him higher than Baker overall, and I rate Baker.

If Clark had chosen to play for England, I could have imagined Clark and Baker alongside each other for England. They are simply different style centre-backs.

I really can't pick our CB pair next season.

Clark/Okore

Baker/Vlaar

Okore/Vlaar

Clark/Vlaar 

Baker/Clark

Okore/Baker

I would rather you'd keep this drivel to the Bannan thread Con.

• Like 4

So much to disagree with here:-

1.Clark will be 24 in September 

2.Given his age and the number of appearances - its pretty likely that what you are seeing at present is close to as good as gets

3. Comparison to Cahill  - Well lets just say as a raw young player Cahill still commanded a fee of £5m - and was always robust in the tackle. By comparison Clark is lightweight in the tackle. He's struggling to hold a candle to Liam Ridgewell let alone Cahill 

4.Intelligent footballer ? - In what way ? - he got caught in possession against man city - weeks later did exactly the same thing while playing for Ireland.

Clark at best looks like a back up player for us. Yeah he was a very highly rated teenager - but he progressed almost zero since making his debut in 2009. I don't see any evidence at all that this guy will come good for us

1. How is that something to disagree with? Did I say he was a different age? 24 is young for a defender.

2. Where do you figure that you've seen his peak already at 23? That's literally what you're saying here.

3. I can't believe you seriously said he would struggle to hold a candle to Ridgewell. Very harsh, especially if you're judging him now based on what Ridgewell was when he left.

4. Intelligent, yes. He reads the game well, organises the backline, watch the games, watch the way he behaves. He wasn't randomly made captain because he's stupid and doesn't understand the game. Caught in possession is due to a lack of experience, which is only going to come with time. I just find it funny you'll say Clark's really poor for examples like this yet rate Baker because of some successful all or nothing challenges yet he, himself has made some howlers.

I'm a fan of both. I think they both could have long and successful careers at Villa but they are two entirely different types of defenders. You say natural defender for Baker because he throws his body at everything but there are more different qualities to a defender. I'll try and liken Baker to Vidic or Terry who Baker's style is familar to whereas Clark is more similar to a Ferdiand or maybe a Hyypia, people who read the game well.

I'm not saying Baker is poor, he's great with loads of potential but the comparisons are a bit odd because they're just different defenders. But by god you are being awfully critically of Clark here, if we sold him I have no doubt he's become a top defender in the league. We'd be missing an opportunity.

Always rated Clark....

... but as a defensive midfielder, not a central defender.

I agree. He has produced some of his best matches in the defensive midfield spot. He is good defensively but he makes errors. Errors that wont get punished if he has a back 4 behind him. 

Â