Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

Contract runs out June 2014.. will the club keep him or let him go?

Either way I must admit i'm not fussed.. if he is willing to take small wages then probably worth keeping as backup.

Wouldn't be first choice if it was up to me.

Lambo has said he wants to offer him a new deal hasn't he? 

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, I can definitely see us using three centre backs again this season. In fact, I'm convinced of it. I doubt he would have signed Okore otherwise.

Doubt it, we played better with just two at the back. Signing Okore is more down to this novel idea of 'competition' and the fact that we defended horrendously last season.

Based on last seasons performances Clark doesn't deserve to be a regular and will need to prove himself by fighting for his place, the same applies to Baker as well.

Maybe Clark's agent is waiting until the transfer window opens to sign a new contract in case another team comes in with big money.

...and who in the blue hell would do that?

Team that really needs a central defender and think they could entice him away with big wages and a guaranteed starting spot.

He makes mistakes but he is now proven at this level and is also proven to have character, and can lead a team.

Don't think he will move but the agent might want to use any interest to get the best deal out of Villa.

Who on earth would offer Clark 'big wages'.

Any team in the position to offer 'big wages' to central defenders will be looking at a level of player that is well above Ciaran Clark.

Big wages = Bigger wages than we offer.

Ciaran Clark is a level above the majority of his contemporaries. He's got the Irish international CB spot nailed for the rest of his career. He'll be Irish captain. couple of high profile mistakes doesn't hide some excellent performances. young player worth a punt if you are lower-half premier league side and want a player to build your survival on.

Who on earth would offer Clark 'big wages'.

Any team in the position to offer 'big wages' to central defenders will be looking at a level of player that is well above Ciaran Clark.

Big wages = Bigger wages than we offer.

Ciaran Clark is a level above the majority of his contemporaries. He's got the Irish international CB spot nailed for the rest of his career. He'll be Irish captain. couple of high profile mistakes doesn't hide some excellent performances. young player worth a punt if you are lower-half premier league side and want a player to build your survival on.

No he is not LOL

...and being a nailed on regular for the ROI is no achievement they are an awful team. When their choices for centre half are an over the hill Dunne, Sean St Ledger and Paul McShane well, no competition there.

Clark > Baker.

Clark is also OK cover at left back. Not going to go forward but he did OK there defensively when needed before.

So our defensive performances improving when Clark was dropped and Baker called up was down to...?

If Clark showed the same desire as Baker & Baker was as comfortable on the ball as Clark we would potentially have one hell of a player on our hands. Both players need to improve their concentration levels however & Baker his technique. Hopefully the coaches can work their magic at BMH on both players. Plus the competition for places throughout the whole squad next season will mean everybody will have to up their game if they want to regularly feature in the starting eleven. Playing regularly also brings confidence & the good news is that Lambert appears to be assembling a young, hungry, vibrant & energetic squad who simply grow & gain experience throughout their allocated game time.

I still rate Clark & Baker very highly & I think it is Bakers aggression that cause most fans to think that he has the greater potential. Personally I would go with Clark as the better of the two, but I wouldn't be disappointed if Baker was chosen ahead of Clark or if both were displaced by Vlaar & Okore. As I say, this just underlines the healthy competition for places in our squad & the further options available to Paul Lambert.

All good.

Edited by villa-revolution

Meh either way I think Baker is better :P

Completely agree Stefan, Baker is a much more solid player than Clark. Clark hasn't fulfilled his potential despite playing a large number of games in the Premier League now

Why on earth would we consider playing with 3 cb's again ? - that gave us some of the worst results last season (although imo it was enforced formation due to vlaars injury)

I don't see any villa future for clark at CB - if anywhere to TBH.

Â