Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Youth players for you. When him, Baker, Herd play at CB they are all prone to this. Probably why previous managers have started Clark and Herd in midfield, so when they do make a mistake it isn't going to cost a goal every time.

Don't think he was trying to dibble out of trouble, he could have booted the ball into the stands. He was trying to be too clever.

Not knowing exactly the limit - when to try that and when not to.

Probably really annoyed with himself for having done that - again. Coaches will be having a word too, I'd imagine.

I wish Clark could just not make the stupid mistakes he does. I know that's a silly thing to say, but I do genuinely believe there's a great defender in there. See glimpses of it week in week out.... but he's always just prone to making a huge error which seems to always be punished. I guess it's hard for any coach to really sort it out for him other than to tell him to just do the simple thing. 

I disagree - I could forgive the errors - but there is nothing in the rest of his game to compensate for them. To me his general player is, at best adequate - punctuated by a couple of clangers in each game.

Sub standard player.

remember central defenders develop slower than strikers. you need more experience for that position.

Michael Dawson at Tottenham is an example. He used to make all sorts of clangers after he signed as a 22 year old. He's still there and is now highly-rated by other professionals and is the team captain. 

There's nothing wrong with encouraging a CB to play out from the back or take on the opposition forwards but it's generally not a good idea to try the latter when there is more than 1 within 6 feet, the game is in the balance or an easier/safer option exists (like play it back to the GK).

I'm not convinced this is something that requires a great deal of experience to get right. That sort of error you generally only make once.....

... but Clark has done it twice in a short period now. 

On the plus side he has the confidence to do it and these are mistakes of his own making, where he is searching for where the limit is, rather than technical deficiencies in his defending.

Must have played well for the rest of the game as Ireland were unlucky not to win, conceding only in the last minute to a long shot.

On the plus side he has the confidence to do it and these are mistakes of his own making, where he is searching for where the limit is, rather than technical deficiencies in his defending.

Must have played well for the rest of the game as Ireland were unlucky not to win, conceding only in the last minute to a long shot.

Irrelevant, he blew it. Thanks to his fundamental error Ireland spent the rest of the game chasing, much like we did against City after enjoying a decent first half. I accepted that at the time though, unlike many others, because I do appreciate his raw talent. But to make the same mistake within weeks of the first points to a serious lack of mental ability. Maybe he will learn and evolve, but right now we can't take that risk. He's a liability.

Baker's turn. 

This is not a plus. This is a minus. He has been making these types of errors all season and has learned nothing from them. I have been willing to cut him some slack because he is on the young side and has been asked to step into a role that he is probably not psychologically ready for just yet (both as a starting CB and acting captain), but there is a limit. He is not improving, if anything he's gone backwards. I think he may still have some potential, but I think it's as a DM, not a central defender.

I would not play him DM. Has a lot of attacking qualities for a centre back but not enough for a modern DM. Not agile enough either. Too robust in stature.

Clark is a CD, and a good one. We're just expecting him to be world class right away, which he's not.

• Like 1

I would not play him DM. Has a lot of attacking qualities for a centre back but not enough for a modern DM. Not agile enough either. Too robust in stature.

Clark is a CD, and a good one. We're just expecting him to be world class right away, which he's not.

No one is expecting him to be World Class. We're expecting him to be Premier League level, which he's not. We expect him not to make the exact same stupid mistakes over and over again. We expect him to learn. He's not doing these things and should be dropped.

Interestingly I read today on Sky Sports that he has said contract talks have been put aside until the summer and that he wants to renew (I presume if we stay up or not).

Personally I hope the club do the right thing and don't offer him a contract.

We should be looking for better in the summer and not sticking with them.

Â