Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

he can score goals.. he and Vlaar are a threat in set pieces.

Its his first full season as first choice it seems.. give him 10 or so games and let him settle. New partnership also. Give him time before we attack the kid. Looked good against Newcastle. They were all shit at Everton

I'd second that, give him time to settle. Clark is a better footballer than Baker (Although Baker looks good on the ball to) but Baker seems the better defender in the sense of being the last line before the keeper. I think we may see Baker, Vlaar and Clark all play at centre-back for different games and maybe try and forge a comfort and level of understanding between all three of them (Possibly one reason Baker has been played as full-back) so two of three, Vlaar could very well be the mainstay, will always make a partnership with an understanding.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is easily good enough for the squad and I'd argue that he could start for Ireland and not look out of place. We're not exactly a team full of quality players. I don't know why that old fool doesn't pick him.

Was I the only one who thought he did o.k when he played at left back?

Probably. He looked like a fish out of water at left back. I'd rather see him on the wing than ever play there again

Luckily he's a fine centre back in the making so no need

Im sorry I like the guy but he is a bit stupid for mentioning that in public as Trappatoni is not the sort of guy to let this sort of thing go. Could be a while until he gets a call up

I don't know why that old fool doesn't pick him.

slightly off-topic but I think the witchhunt against Trappatoni is becoming pathetic, yes he has made mistakes but people forget the shambles before him

If anything Trapattoni not picking him is something of compliment. He's in good company with James McClean, Seamus Coleman, Darron Gibson, Shane Long, all not supposedly good enough to play. James McCarthy will probably lose his spot to Keith Andrews for the Germany game.

How he could bring Paul Green on in the Spain game with Darron Gibson on the bench is beyond me.

I know I'm an annoying sod because I keep mentioning irrelevant reserve games, but when Clark was a reserves regular he totally bossed every match. His constant chatter and directions to those around him were an inspiration, and his developing partnership with an equally vocal Vlaar excites me. Give him time.

If we are to succeed going down this young and hungry players route, then players like Clark have to come to the fore this season.

Like others have said, he is technically quite good with the ball on the deck, and is a threat in the opposition box from set pieces, but gets caught out to many times in his own area for my liking. Also, to be as lightweight as Clark is as a CB, I've always thought you'd have to be lightning quick, which Clark isn't.

Give this new unit of Guzan/Given with Lowton Vlaar Clark and Bennett 6-8 matches to find a rhythm. If we're in the bottom 3 at that point then we'll know the unit is not strong enough.

Â