Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

mmm, I did think the game bypassed the centre of midfield in general anyway, partly from our tactics, and I do like him, I just felt the goal came from nowhere, but hey, if he does that on a regular basis, I won't complain! :loll:

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have wanted Clark to get a chance in CM for a while now - ever since he and Bannan played so well at Fulham last year I thought this could be his best position.

Having watched him closely over the last few games - he hasn't done too bad but I'm not sure the 1st eleven is our best available. This actually goes for Herd too.

I'm not sure either are comfortable enough on the ball for us to keep position/build the play through midfield. That's why sometimes we look like a championship side because we cant string 10 passes together. At start of season it was Delph and his wayward passing most recently it has been Herd and Clark too afraid to make a mistake.

Whenever Clark gets it he is looking for the easy ball which is great but it does mean we are struggling to link midfield to attack. Ireland for instance barely received a pass in 1st half because it was never coming from Clark or Petrov it was always coming from defence.

Compare our midfield to any decent side and their midfield are continually receiving the ball in tight situation but finding a progressive pass.

I would put Petrov back in the defensive midfield role. For sure he has been much better this season with a bit more freedom however I think we need his experience in that role now. I would then put Bannan/Delph or Gardner where Petrov is playing now. Whoever can make a pass most consistently. Probably Bannan at this stage.

Having Bannan and Ireland together would mean more good ball for Gabby and Albrighton/NZog and hopefully therefore more good ball for Bent.

Obviously Ireland and Bannan not the most solid defensively but surely between them and Petrov they can make a tackle.

I like the look of clark on the ball, very calm in possession. For the time being I still think he is more suited to CM (holding) with 2 forward thinking midfielders in front. Think at CB he is still weak and would get bullied too easily (ala Carroll last yr) and is too slow be a full back.

Really, really not a left back and I doubt very much he'd cut it at CB but did well when moved into midfield.

Agree he had a torrid time at left back today but I'd like to see him at centre half instead of Collins.

clark is too slow for being a left back, reality is not FM. he would be a good CB, but imho his best position is DMC as he is tall, good on the ball, can pass the ball etc. very similar to gary cahill at CB (and i do not rate gc too high - overrated).

Clark is a top talent. Man Utd were sniffing round him at one point. He's never a full back. Very similar to Rodwell and Phil Jones, in the sense that he can do a job in midfield but will eventually be a centre half. His lack of real pace will not hinder him being a top player, as his footballing brain and reading of the game is superb.

He's prone to messing up at CB and he's not a LB. I think the thinking is CM is an area which is less demanding that he can play and gain experience. I wouldn't have him in there personally.

I think he'll be a CB eventually. At the moment my first choice partner for Dunne would be Cuellar, then Clark, then the tea lady, then Collins. I can see Cuellar making mistakes though, I think he has a few in him, and I can see Clark pushing him out eventually. But at the moment Clark isn't in my 1st 11.

I do agree with Stu that Ciaran isn't cut out for LB. I'll add the caveat that he's not YET cut out for it and is young enough to learn it, but at the mo' I'd stick with Warnock until Stevens or Lickage are ready.

I do agree with Stu that Ciaran isn't cut out for LB. I'll add the caveat that he's not YET cut out for it and is young enough to learn it, but at the mo' I'd stick with Warnock until Stevens or Lickage are ready.

Cue a barrage of posts from people saying Lichaj is Championship-level-at-best, based on having seen him sit on the bench for 90 minutes.

Â