Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

There were plenty of people on VT last season saying they thought Ciaran Clark was more of a natural midfielder as his passing was great, some even said he should be playing instead of Petrov.

I'm one of them.

I still think he lacks the pace to play at fullback and struggles at central defense against quick players (see penalty against Walcott as evidence).

But he is so comfortable on the ball I think he'll do well as a defensive midfielder where he will not be as exposed by pace. He's somebody the defense should be looking to for an easy pass to start building our attacks.

Mind you, this is just my opinion....

... though I like it that McLeish appears to think the same way.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clark was Class tonight, very Barryesque

I like Clark but that's just a ridiculous statement.

He was a beguiling mix of the composed and the complacent. He would do something that indicated a calmness and confidence on the ball then immediately pass it straight to the opposition. Hopefully this is just down to rustiness. I would definitely like to see him given a run in centre midfield as he demonstrated last year that he's a danger in the oppositions box.

Promising signs, but let's not go overboard.

Clark was great, I think any young ayers downfall is doing too much with the ball. So often albrighton Clark herd Delph will do something great only to hold onto the ball too long and end up getting tackled or rush passing it poorly and losing possession.

He was v good yesterday and helped break down stoke quite a lot. He also gave Petrov the ability to find a bit more space in midfield

It's great that we have Clark and Herd competing for that 2nd midfield berth however Petrov is the lynch pin... I'd worry about the midfield without Petrov, still think we need another experienced head in there.

The positives, for me, are that Clark should offer decent protection to the back-four, he's good in the air and at set pieces at either of end of the pitch he offers more than say Delph.

Not a bad choice in CM as long as we have players like Albrighton and N'Zog on the wings (not Heskey!!!) as creators.

ive said it once and i will say it again, clark has the potential to be one of the best players to come from our youth since gabby

this guy could play for a CL side thats how strong his potential is. was outstanding yesterday as was he last season at the bridge

Could just imagine him in midfield with Xavi and Iniesta :winkold:

Clark > biscuits

I like that he's playing well but still under the radar here's hoping he pushes on gets in the euro squad and most importantly stays here, I had ideas of someone like Newcastle coming in for him

Â