Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem when he gave the ball away it was a dreadful pass rather than just off so it sticks in the mind. His accuracy was 78% which is decent against a team that presses as much as Stoke.

But yeah good performance, get him in defence though!

I agree he is better as a defender

Exactly and I personally would rather he be working on his game as a defender and playing as a defender than trying to adapt his game and improve his passing as a midfielder.

I'm not being critical of you or your post by the way but rather our terrible manager.

I thought Clark did well tonight all things considered, I'd just rather not see him in the midfield the same as I'd rather not see Collins in our defence. Perhaps one of those two could solve the other.

When Fergie plays Phil Jones (a young central defender) in midfield its seen as a sign of good management.

When McLeish plays Ciaran Clark (a young central defender) in midfield it's seen as a sign of poor management

There are plenty of people on VT that would rather we play Chris Herd at right back rather than Hutton, its not his natural position so why is that a good idea? There are plenty that think that Delph is played too defensively in midfield, but midfield is his position….

I'm not sure which is the best approach tbh but its never as clean cut as right or wrong, sometimes managers do stuff because they think it's right, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. There were plenty of people on VT last season saying they thought Ciaran Clark was more of a natural midfielder as his passing was great, some even said he should be playing instead of Petrov. There were plenty of people who said MON was mad for playing Gabby on the wing when he first came through but it did him wonders and I don't think he'd be the player he is without that experience. When kids are young sometimes you just need to give them game time if its slightly out of position and they can still learn from it then its can't be bad. I just don't think its as clear cut as right or wrong.

I thought CC was awesome tonight

Long may he stay in the starting XI

100% agree

looked calm on the ball didn't give it away much mopped up a fair bit wins headers and has decent positional sense, most importantly IMO is he looks like he works alongside petrov

When Fergie plays Phil Jones (a young central defender) in midfield its seen as a sign of good management.

When McLeish plays Ciaran Clark (a young central defender) in midfield it's seen as a sign of poor management

But by the same people? Probably not.

Personally I think Jones is a great talent but I think he would be better off played in defence (CB or RB) rather than be used as a utility man as he is by United at the moment.

In Fergie's case I think though it is a case of necessity while in McLeish's I think its a case of his approach to the game and I admit tonight in part the opponents.

There were plenty of people on VT last season saying they thought Ciaran Clark was more of a natural midfielder as his passing was great, some even said he should be playing instead of Petrov.

I don't remember that but if I'd seen it I'd have disagreed with them.

There were plenty of people who said MON was mad for playing Gabby on the wing when he first came through but it did him wonders and I don't think he'd be the player he is without that experience.

Perhaps but no real way of knowing on that one.

When kids are young sometimes you just need to give them game time if its slightly out of position and they can still learn from it then its can't be bad. I just don't think its as clear cut as right or wrong.

It isn't possible to say it is right or wrong, all you can do is state your preference and mine is that I'd rather see Clark in defence than midfield for a whole host of reasons.

There are plenty of people on VT that would rather we play Chris Herd at right back rather than Hutton, its not his natural position so why is that a good idea? There are plenty that think that Delph is played too defensively in midfield, but midfield is his position….

I'm not sure which is the best approach tbh but its never as clean cut as right or wrong, sometimes managers do stuff because they think it's right, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. There were plenty of people on VT last season saying they thought Ciaran Clark was more of a natural midfielder as his passing was great, some even said he should be playing instead of Petrov. There were plenty of people who said MON was mad for playing Gabby on the wing when he first came through but it did him wonders and I don't think he'd be the player he is without that experience. When kids are young sometimes you just need to give them game time if its slightly out of position and they can still learn from it then its can't be bad. I just don't think its as clear cut as right or wrong.

Absolutely spot on.

He is in no way, shape or form a midfield player in my book.

Quite a lot of people thought that about Barry when he first started. I agree with you to a point that I think he is better defender than midfielder right now. Do I believe he could become a top class holding midfielder? Yes I do.

Do I think Villa have the time to develop and work with him there. Not sure about that.

Clark was Class tonight, very Barryesque

This!

He was really good last night. He sat back alot though clearly on the managers orders, both him and Petrov never really got forward.

Would like to see him get a little bit more involved further up the pitch, maybe that´ll happen when we play at home?

Â