Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

My last post on this - Commentator/Savage/Dublin/Shearer/Lineker (and all the reports and subsequent discussions on the game) agreed it was a perfectly timed challenge - got the ball FAIRLY no studs showing. A hard tackle yes - bad tackle no - Some said 'Brilliant'. If it had not been timed that COULD have been a red (personally - I'd say a yellow) BUT as it is not ONE person (who have played the game at the highest level) said it was a bad tackle. They all said a GOOD tackle hard but absolutely no foul at all.

And I've watched it many a time since and it looks better each time!

And all my colleagues at work - and people I meet in the canteen - I work in the ITV News Studio building all said the same as the others - great tackle etc and they are neutrals!

• Like 1

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at all mate! It was meant for someone about three pages back but, for some bloody reason, his post wasn't quoted with my post ;).

For the record though, I disagree with you regarding the claim that the tackle was a red card. But, each to their own and all that!   :cheers:

Edit: In response to Stevo!

Edited by villarocker

Yeah me too! I know Lukey Moore hates Sherwood too so I'm kind looking forward to Moorestradamus's next great prediction failing miserably! No such thing as bad press eh.

I've listened to this now.

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if he's right.

I nearly made a similar prediction myself. I was going to say he'd be gone by christmas. But our seeming reluctance to sack managers mid season meant I revised it to May 2016.

As for their views on the tackle I pretty much agree. but no point in reigniting that discussion. I accept that others see it differently.

He absolutely needed to go in to the tackle with that force, otherwise he wouldn't have made it in time. Just excellent defensive play from an ever improving defender.

He needed to go in at that speed.

The swinging leg and use of his other leg afterwards is the excessive part.

Do you mean he shouldn't have gone with his legs first? Should have gone in with his whole body? Genuinely just asking.

He did tackle with the inside part of his leg, studs down.

No, of course not. Where have you plucked that from?

What I mean is rather than make a normal tackle, he's swung his leg through and kicked through the player as hard as possible.

That's not necessary. He could have led with the leg like you would in a normal tackle.

A normal tackle doesn't involve booting the opponent at the same time. Ball or no ball.

No disrespect but have you ever played 11-a-side football? You go into tackles half arsed and with a limp leg and it's you that ends up in the hospital!

He absolutely needed to go in to the tackle with that force, otherwise he wouldn't have made it in time. Just excellent defensive play from an ever improving defender.

He needed to go in at that speed.

The swinging leg and use of his other leg afterwards is the excessive part.

Do you mean he shouldn't have gone with his legs first? Should have gone in with his whole body? Genuinely just asking.

He did tackle with the inside part of his leg, studs down.

No, of course not. Where have you plucked that from?

What I mean is rather than make a normal tackle, he's swung his leg through and kicked through the player as hard as possible.

That's not necessary. He could have led with the leg like you would in a normal tackle.

A normal tackle doesn't involve booting the opponent at the same time. Ball or no ball.

No disrespect but have you ever played 11-a-side football? You go into tackles half arsed and with a limp leg and it's you that ends up in the hospital!

Yes. I've played 11 aside football for about 25 years thanks. As a centreback for a lot of that time too.

I wasn't saying he should go in with a limp leg. I was saying the fact he booted Schlupp up in the air as he tackled him was excessive force and unnecessary.

"Swinging leg". I can't put it any simpler than that but people obviously aren't understanding me. I don't know how else to describe it

I think Clark is that kind of player though Stevo, he is more the reckless type. It's like you are requesting him to be boxer when instead he is a MMA fighter. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. 

Had Clark the years of experience and the technical skill you have, he might be more formal in his tackles haha. 

i'm not requesting him to do anything.

I'm over the moon that the tackle came off as it did, especially against leicester when they have words removed like Konchesky playing.

He can do that every week for all I care IF he gets away with it.

All I'm saying is I think he was lucky to get away with it.

Edited by Stevo985

(Villa) Man of the Match for the 10th game in a row or something for me.  Great interception when Guzan made the mistake to come for the ball.  Read situations well all game long - including coming across from the left hand side to push Moses wide left for Stoke at one point.  I don't think he was genuinely beaten at any point.

Another solid game.

• Like 1

Great game. Unlucky with his header.

Still, it was on target....

... which, IIRC, makes it exactly 1 more effort on target than Benteke, Agbonlahor and Wieman combined v Stoke.

I think there's at least one more goal in him this season.

Let's hope that's not one more than those guys combined.

Â