Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

How on earth can there be someone with such an AMAZING managerial record, with a brilliant knowledge of the English, European and World game, who speaks great English and yet people say they want a reserve-team coach who hasn't a contact in the game?!!!

if he flops the pay off will be huge

he flopped at mexico and ivory coast and the football at city wasnt that great. would be better than curbs or macdonald though. would take houllier over him

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

City got thumped 8-1 by Boro under him, he almost destroyed Mexico and was cat as well for Ivory Coast

Quite. It's his recent record that tells against him. Quite how he managed to produce such poor results with Mexico & Cote Ivoire, I will never understand.

Don't forget the whole Notts County fiasco!

Good results > good football

I've always found that the team you support doesn't even need to play "good" football most of the time to keep me interested and entertained. And by interested and entertained, I mean being dangerously close to a heart attack.

We are different there, I'm only 24 but nearly every villa match I've watched in the last ten years has me near to a cardiac arrest. I think I've aged 40 years watching the Villa recently, I normally have my eyes closed. I came back from work last Sunday when we played Everton with 5 minutes of extra time to go, I just stayed in my room until I heard it was clear to come out again!

I really would like us to get a manager who made us play good football and above all else, KEPT POSSESSION, but you're right in that results are really all that matters.

I agree with you to some extent but oddly enough of the games I went to last season the best ones were the games against Crystal Palace and Reading away. Both ridiculously nail-biting games but at the same time very entertaining. Whilst I enjoyed the 3-0 whopping we gave Hull at home that game doesn't come close. Half of football for me is the passion and the emotion - things which are much stronger in the tight games where we don't walk all over the opposition (although admittedly I loved the West Ham game a couple of weeks back).

I admit that I did entertain a thought the other day. If I was a Chelsea fan, would I be a bit bored after being favourite for winning all the games? They're never usually in that much trouble are they? I think the fans of the big teams miss out on a side of football, the shock win. The only side of a shock win they see is when their teams lose after all.

I think you're right in that nail biting games are thoroughly entertaining and it sure as hell feels so good if you come out on top, but I wouldn't mind a few more 3-0's here or there, or to win by a massive scoreline. The 5-1 against Bolton is the last time I can remember winning a game that comfortably, aside from West Ham this season I suppose.

That being said, best game I've been to for a long time is the 6-4 against Blackburn. Being 2-0 down, then Warnock scoring to get us back in it seemed like fate, and the entire game I was on the edge of my seat. I remember yelling at Ash to keep the ball in the last few minutes and not to go looking for another goal and then jumping for joy when it went in, best feeling ever.

But still, we need to work on possession and I hope whoever comes in realises that.

I like to think I know quite a bit about our beautiful game and I wonder if I'm missing something about this whole Sven thing.

For me, he'd be an absolute steal and on paper, as good a manager as we've had in a long long time.

He's won titles, trophies, worked in many top league with many top players. As a reminder:

-League and Cup double in three different countries (inc Italy) prior to England job - only man ever to do that, I believe.

-Went back to Benfica - took them to European Cup final...

-2nd most successful England manager statistically

-Did double over Man United when he took over at City

-Ivory Coast team said he did wonders with their team and they wanted him to continue

He's got huge amounts of contacts abroad, got Man City playing the best football they ever have in recent times and I really can't see the issue.

If anyone thinks he shouldn't get it because England didn't win a world cup, then think long and hard - how many top class managers have come out badly from our national job and shown quality everywhere else?

I'd be delighted if he got the job and I love Aston Villa. I'm also very hard man to please in football, so, as I say, I wonder what I'm missing.

I hope and pray he gets the chance to prove some people wrong on here.

How on earth can there be someone with such an AMAZING managerial record, with a brilliant knowledge of the English, European and World game, who speaks great English and yet people say they want a reserve-team coach who hasn't a contact in the game?!!!

Someone tell me what I'm missing.

This. I hope he managed to sell himself as well as you have sold him here. I think he has one big job left in him, and I would be happy for that job to be Villa and getting us to kick on into the top 4. He has the contacts and experience to be able to let us do this, and is capable of getting us to produce scintilating football.

I think Ireland played some of his best football under Sven, not his best when in tandem with Robinho, but some of his best the year before. I'd be happy for Sven to come in and utilise Ireland in his best position.

Surely the board are going to have the good sense to interview Maradona.

Not because you'd consider giving him the job.

Imagine how entertaining that interview would be! They could film it and stick it on youtube.

I like to think I know quite a bit about our beautiful game and I wonder if I'm missing something about this whole Sven thing.

For me, he'd be an absolute steal and on paper, as good a manager as we've had in a long long time.

He's won titles, trophies, worked in many top league with many top players. As a reminder:

-League and Cup double in three different countries (inc Italy) prior to England job - only man ever to do that, I believe.

-Went back to Benfica - took them to European Cup final...

-2nd most successful England manager statistically

-Did double over Man United when he took over at City

-Ivory Coast team said he did wonders with their team and they wanted him to continue

He's got huge amounts of contacts abroad, got Man City playing the best football they ever have in recent times and I really can't see the issue.

If anyone thinks he shouldn't get it because England didn't win a world cup, then think long and hard - how many top class managers have come out badly from our national job and shown quality everywhere else?

I'd be delighted if he got the job and I love Aston Villa. I'm also very hard man to please in football, so, as I say, I wonder what I'm missing.

I hope and pray he gets the chance to prove some people wrong on here.

Someone tell me what I'm missing.

This. I hope he managed to sell himself as well as you have sold him here. I think he has one big job left in him, and I would be happy for that job to be Villa and getting us to kick on into the top 4. He has the contacts and experience to be able to let us do this, and is capable of getting us to produce scintilating football.

I think Ireland played some of his best football under Sven, not his best when in tandem with Robinho, but some of his best the year before. I'd be happy for Sven to come in and utilise Ireland in his best position.

He wuld be on extremely high wages and I think him managing Ivory Coast sort of shows he may be winding down his career a bit.

But you are right, he does have a really good record and if he comes out of the interview having satisfied Randy then who am I to say he shouldn't get the job.

if he flops the pay off will be huge

he flopped at mexico and ivory coast and the football at city wasnt that great. would be better than curbs or macdonald though. would take houllier over him

He was a huge flop with Mexico, due to him not knowing the league or country, but how was he a flop for Ivory Coast? Drogba was injured and they were unlucky to be in a group with Portugal and Brazil. It came down to Portugal playing North Korea before them and then they just had to get a bore draw with Brazil to make it through.

Surely the board are going to have the good sense to interview Maradona.

Not because you'd consider giving him the job.

Imagine how entertaining that interview would be! They could film it and stick it on youtube.

That would be a quality interview!

Interviews do not mean you get the best man...Im sure Fergy or Cloughie wouldnt have wanted to sit in some naff interview..

Interviews in the world of football management are for guys at the bottom...The guys at the top dont sit interviews..

Target the man and pull out all stops to get him..Sod the interviews :eek:

^

That Blackburn game had me up off my seat more than most of the Villa games I've ever seen - and I was watching it on TV!

Wanna know what the first thing I said when MON resigned?

"I'm just glad Hughes is taken". :lol:

I was buzzing for about a week after seeing that game!

So I'm not the only one who thinks Hughes is a little over-rated? I remember when he went to City and thinking, they've got all these millions... and they get him in? I don't think he's really proved himself, and I wouldn't like to see him at Villa.

As for Maradona, naturally I wouldn't want him as the next manager, but the press conferences would be hilarious.

I'm warming to the idea of Sven too, if only for his contacts, and he would definitly start bringing some more foreign players in, I think we're missing that flair, did he pick Heskey when he was England manager? Hopefully he's a;ready learnt that he's terrible from past experience and the first act he will do in January is move him on to wherever O'neill may be at that time.

Sven - "Hello Martin? I believe I have something you want..."

Sven is by far the best option we have imo going by the requirements that we were told would have to be met. I think he would be really eager for this role and would love another bite at the premiership. By the way Folski when city got hammered in that game Sven had already been told that he was out the door.

I don't get the hype surrounding Sven. He won a few things at Lazio spending around £270 million in four years at a time where transfers aren't as over-inflated as todays prices. At Man City he spent around £30 million in a season at Citeh and got around 8th (can't really remember) which is decent but nothing wonderful with the money spent.

International wise he did ok for England but everytime we played a decent team, we went out. There was no mastermind behind his tactics (IMO) and he had a lot of good players in their prime at the time (who were overrated by the media). He had a poor time of it at Mexico and did nothing for the Ivory Coast. He brings with him a media circus and we would be a laughing stock with him in charge IMO.

I think Sven would not be able to work with or get the best out of any of our players we have here, or utilise them in the correct way.

For me, if the choices are limited to Houllier, Sven, Curbs, KMac and Zola then it has to be Houllier or Sven.

I'm inclined to think that Sven will want massive wages though, so maybe it would be better to appoint Houllier

Yeah without a doubt, these two easily have the most credentials and are both avaliable. I will be seriously pissed off if it's Curbs or Mcdonald.

It's making me laugh how people are backing every latest name to come out to make them favourites. We have seen it with all of them. All the media have only said that Curbs was interviewed then ........ Odds drop and becomes favourite. :D