Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to think I know quite a bit about our beautiful game and I wonder if I'm missing something about this whole Sven thing.

For me, he'd be an absolute steal and on paper, as good a manager as we've had in a long long time.

He's won titles, trophies, worked in many top league with many top players. As a reminder:

-League and Cup double in three different countries (inc Italy) prior to England job - only man ever to do that, I believe.

-Went back to Benfica - took them to European Cup final...

-2nd most successful England manager statistically

-Did double over Man United when he took over at City

-Ivory Coast team said he did wonders with their team and they wanted him to continue

He's got huge amounts of contacts abroad, got Man City playing the best football they ever have in recent times and I really can't see the issue.

If anyone thinks he shouldn't get it because England didn't win a world cup, then think long and hard - how many top class managers have come out badly from our national job and shown quality everywhere else?

I'd be delighted if he got the job and I love Aston Villa. I'm also very hard man to please in football, so, as I say, I wonder what I'm missing.

I hope and pray he gets the chance to prove some people wrong on here.

How on earth can there be someone with such an AMAZING managerial record, with a brilliant knowledge of the English, European and World game, who speaks great English and yet people say they want a reserve-team coach who hasn't a contact in the game?!!!

Someone tell me what I'm missing.

To be fair though they didn't / don't exactly have the best players.

So they should have adapted their style to suit.

That's what annoys me about people saying "yeh but they play good football" (not saying you were saying that, just making a point)

I like to think I know quite a bit about our beautiful game and I wonder if I'm missing something about this whole Sven thing.

For me, he'd be an absolute steal and on paper, as good a manager as we've had in a long long time.

He's won titles, trophies, worked in many top league with many top players.

He's got huge amounts of contacts abroad, got Man City playing the best football they ever have in recent times and I really can't see the issue.

If anyone thinks he shouldn't get it because England didn't win a world cup, then think long and hard - how many top class managers have come out badly from our national job and shown quality everywhere else?

I'd be delighted if he got the job and I love Aston Villa. I'm also very hard man to please in football, so, as I say, I wonder what I'm missing.

I agree with this and If Moyes is not coming then I think its got to be the only other option. Soccernet reporting hes been interviewed.

Surely weve got to believe hes a better appoitment than Curbs, Houllier etc....?

I agree. It is all well and good playing good football, but if that results in getting less points then it isn't worth it, especially if you are a team that are tipped to be fighting a relegation battle.

I agree with this and If Moyes is not coming then I think its got to be the only other option. Soccernet reporting hes been interviewed.

Surely weve got to believe hes a better appoitment than Curbs, Houllier etc....?

It's quite simple:

Sven is a brilliant football manager with incredible contacts, brilliant knowledge of the game in this country, Europe and the world, with great English and a point to prove.

We'd be mad to pass him up considering he's not in work.

It's quite simple:

Sven is a brilliant football manager with incredible contacts, brilliant knowledge of the game in this country, Europe and the world, with great English and a point to prove.

Are you Darius Vassell by any chance ? :D

I think Sven would be a good manager, with a good profile, I don't really get the "holier than thou" posse. "He likes to get his leg over etc." What so now one of our credentials for being Villa manager is being a Yunic, having no sex drive or a cock? WTF! :)

It's quite simple:

City got thumped 8-1 by Boro under him, he almost destroyed Mexico and was cat as well for Ivory Coast

Good results > good football

I've always found that the team you support doesn't even need to play "good" football most of the time to keep me interested and entertained. And by interested and entertained, I mean being dangerously close to a heart attack.

It's quite simple:

City got thumped 8-1 by Boro under him, he almost destroyed Mexico and was cat as well for Ivory Coast

Drew with Portugal, lost to Brazil and beat Korea with Drogbas arm in a sling, i'd say he didnt do too bad certainly not 'cat'

I've always found that the team you support doesn't even need to play "good" football most of the time to keep me interested and entertained. And by interested and entertained, I mean being dangerously close to a heart attack.

We are different there, I'm only 24 but nearly every villa match I've watched in the last ten years has me near to a cardiac arrest. I think I've aged 40 years watching the Villa recently, I normally have my eyes closed. I came back from work last Sunday when we played Everton with 5 minutes of extra time to go, I just stayed in my room until I heard it was clear to come out again!

I really would like us to get a manager who made us play good football and above all else, KEPT POSSESSION, but you're right in that results are really all that matters.

We are different there, I'm only 24 but nearly every villa match I've watched in the last ten years has me near to a cardiac arrest. I think I've aged 40 years watching the Villa recently, I normally have my eyes closed. I came back from work last Sunday when we played Everton with 5 minutes of extra time to go, I just stayed in my room until I heard it was clear to come out again!

I really would like us to get a manager who made us play good football and above all else, KEPT POSSESSION, but you're right in that results are really all that matters.

I agree with you to some extent but oddly enough of the games I went to last season the best ones were the games against Crystal Palace and Reading away. Both ridiculously nail-biting games but at the same time very entertaining. Whilst I enjoyed the 3-0 whopping we gave Hull at home that game doesn't come close. Half of football for me is the passion and the emotion - things which are much stronger in the tight games where we don't walk all over the opposition (although admittedly I loved the West Ham game a couple of weeks back).

Quite. It's his recent record that tells against him. Quite how he managed to produce such poor results with Mexico & Cote Ivoire, I will never understand.