Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

City got thumped 8-1 by Boro under him, he almost destroyed Mexico and was cat as well for Ivory Coast

Quite. It's his recent record that tells against him. Quite how he managed to produce such poor results with Mexico & Cote Ivoire, I will never understand.

Both Sven and the players knew that he had been shafted by the owners by the time of the Boro game. There are managers who are highly regarded by some on here who have been known to suffer the odd thrashing.

International football and club football are very different beasts, especially if you're parachuted in at the last minute. Look at Capello - God at club level, somewhat less at international level.

If you had asked me at the start of the summer would I want Sven to replace MON I would have said good God no! In view of the fact that MON left at the worst possible time (not attaching any blame to anyone!) Sven is the best of what we can get at this time. If he is appointed hopefully we get the Sven of the first half of his Citeh campaign than the second!

I wish MON was still in charge :(

I don't.

I do. there's no one on that list fit to lace O'Neill's boots.

No one apart from the two managers who have actually won trophies? (and by that I mean REAL trophies i.e. not the fizzy piss cup or the annual two horse race that takes place in an amateur standard league in some backward country north of Newcastle)

Even Curbishley has a similar win ratio with West Ham/Charlton as MON did with Villa and Leicester respectively.

Aircraft was originally planned to go from Birmingham to its destination, execute a quick turn around, and come back again.

It left later than planned and hasn't returned as yet. It may even be that it won't return today.

And I never revealed the destination.......

Away longer than originally indicated.

Came back with Mr Lerner on board.

Boy is he working hard to weed out the best candidate for the job.

If only some could appreciate his efforts....

Aircraft was originally planned to go from Birmingham to its destination, execute a quick turn around, and come back again.

It left later than planned and hasn't returned as yet. It may even be that it won't return today.

And I never revealed the destination.......

Away longer than originally indicated.

Came back with Mr Lerner on board.

Boy is he working hard to weed out the best candidate for the job.

If only some could appreciate his efforts....

can you disclose where he went?

did he return on his own?

I've read a few times on here that people think his wages would be over-inflated, wasn't there a story a few days after O'Neill walked out that Sven was willing to take a pay-cut to manage us he wanted it that badly? Also, he's made a lot of money over the years and has had a few multi-million pound compensation packages to boot. This, coupled with the supposed rumour of him saying he would take a pay-cut, suggest to me that maybe he really doesn't need the money any more.

If this is true then I think Sven might be just what we need, a change, someone to mix it up, get some flair to add to the solid defensive side to our game, and also it might prove that he's not in it for the money, and really does want a second chance to build a quality premiership team. I think he might get more time here and a more understanding and amicable Chairman and board than when he was at City, so maybe he would stick around for a while.

I think he's the best at what we can get realistically speaking.

Since the first link with Sven I said he wouldn't be a bad choice.

Not my first choice. But i think he'd do a decent job. And from that pretty poor list of "candidates", I'd say he's the best one on it.

People keep mentioning the 8-1 result to boro, then surely he's only one goal worse than MON? How about Sven's 5-1 win in Munich?

Point is any freak result can skew a manager's rep.

Because Boro were as good as chelsea and put 5 or 6 past teams regulary.